International Karate by Rob Hubbard, Rock

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Gamml

International Karate by Rob Hubbard, Rock

Post by Gamml »

Hello Everyone,

I havent had my hands on a C64 for many many years, but I loved the International Karate game when I was a child and until today I love the song written by Rob Hubbard. I have recently tried to do a Rock Remake of it and published it on my myspace page @ www.myspace.com/gammlmusik. Hope you enjoy it!

best regards :cheers:

Gamml
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: International Karate by Rob Hubbard, Rock

Post by Chris Abbott »

Wow. What this IS is a great demo: guitar is great, lags behind the beat at times but that's understandable, really captures what Rob was trying to do. Love the guitar strums, too.

But all the effort here has gone into the guitars: the rest is functional (which again is understandable). My mind hears what this could be all Bon Jovi'd up, with BIIG drums, spine-tingling delay, floating strings and synth, and more punchy production generally. OK, old fashioned, but I would LOVE to get the single tracks of this and produce the heck out of it, if only for my own ears, perhaps adding back some more bits of the SID accompaniment subtly.

*sigh* if only I had a studio worth the name any more... but if the multi-track for this is going, I'd love a copy.

So, great work: now go do Arcade Classics, and the solos from Auf Monty and Monty on the Run. Go on, I can wait ;-)

:worship:

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Uuuh, nice. Feel free to upload a 160+ Kbps MP3 to http://Remix.Kwed.Org/
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Uuuh, nice. Feel free to upload a 160+ Kbps MP3 to http://Remix.Kwed.Org/
Yea. Do that.
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

I couldn't agree more, you've licked the chords and the playing is very good too. As mentioned the background instruments need work, but if your speciality is guitar then there's no criticism there. I also love your C64 sample touch too. A lovely nod back to the simplicity of the origin of the original. Lots of hard work and love gone into it obviously - thanks for sharing, and maybe take Chris - and at the very least Jan up on the offer. :)
So, great work: now go do Arcade Classics,
Hell yeah, that would be awesome.
Gamml

Post by Gamml »

Thanks a lot for your approval - I am really glad that you all like it! - And indeed, I know my guitars better than my recording / drum computer tools... I use the hydrogen drumcomputer and Audacity for arranging the tracks. The guitar is connected to a Line6 PODxt, where the sound is modified and then directly fed into the line-in of my soundcard. This is what real producers would call a cheap-and-dirty approach i guess... my recording knowledge is quite poor.

@Chris Abbott: I would very much appreciate if you would Bon-Jovi-, or maybe even Guns'n Rose-it-up :-) Maybe you could share a little bit of your knowledge how making things, especially drums, sound like real Rock! I have still no clue on this one... I will prepare the tracks for email transmission shortly...
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

Great guitar playing, I agree if the backing was more rock this would be bang on.....
Hopefully one of the guys here will help out :)

And as Chris said, lets here Arcade classics, and Game over at somepoint :rock:

Oh and welcome to the C64 scene :wink:
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Very well played, Gamml!

I like it. A lot! There's plenty of C64-people that can help you achieve a great "rock" sound, so feel free to share your works!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Perhaps you can make the files freely available here as very high quality single track MP3s, then everyone can pick, choose and remix :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Addy

Post by Addy »

I just loved this remix..And im working on a release similar to this, bit heavier tough.. And waiting for the high quality tracks....
Last edited by Addy on 10/10/2009 - 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
SkyMarshall Arts
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by SkyMarshall Arts »

The guitars were nothing but awesome!!!
Overall production needs work, but there is lots of talent in here to help you with that.

You should do some guitar freelancing in here ... would be awesome =) :rock:
God created man
Man created machine
Machine created music

My Website | Discord | Spotify | YouTube | Remix64
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Chris Abbott wrote:Perhaps you can make the files freely available here as very high quality single track MP3s, then everyone can pick, choose and remix :)
I second that. I could have a lot of fun with those guitars. They are sweet :D
<--- I went that way --->
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Cool, that! Prime RKO material! :D
All is lost.
Gamml

Post by Gamml »

Hi everyone! Thanks for all comments and also the reviews on kwed.org - They have motivated me continue my work on the song and read some howtos on drum and bass recording ;-) So Yesterday I have uploaded a new (probably not the last) version on www.myspace.com/gammlmusik where I reworked the drums and also the bass a little bit. Apart from that there are no significant changes but I think the sound is much more balanced now. As soon as my FTP server is online again (hopefully today) I will upload the tracks and the drum midis for the public.

Cheers! :cheers:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Great work, Gamml!

All through the tune I was eagerly waiting for the rising arpeggio at 6:20, wondering how you'd pull it off, and you mangaged that rather nicely. Impressive!