Ultima 3 mix -- judge me! :-)

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Ultima 3 mix -- judge me! :-)

Post by bluefugue »

If any of you have downloaded my Ultima III mix, I'd love to hear your criticisms -- just don't be too nasty. :)

I was happy with it at first but the more I listen to it the weaker it seems. One problem I think is the arrangement doesn't really sound "orchestral" -- except for a few bits (like the piccolo trill and the timpani roll) there isn't anything very imaginative going on, compared to the figurations in, say, the Firelord mix, or the Zoids/Imperial March mix.

The soundfonts aren't great, of course, especially the brass instruments. I got them all for free from Bananaquartz. I'm looking for better ones but unfortunately I can't afford to pay, say, $300 for Steinberg's piano VST!

Audiowise I'm still having a lot of trouble. It sounds somehow thin, lacking in body. Maybe I panned the various voices out too wide (though I left strings in the middle), maybe I used too much reverb. But I wanted to create a sense of space. It didn't quite work. Maybe my editor (N Track studio) just isn't good enough. It doesn't seem able to handle a wide dynamic range -- I get clipping/distortion very easily. Strangely, when I mix-down directly from Fruity Loops it sometimes sounds better, but I don't like to do that because Fruity Loops doesn't have rubber-band functions for fading and panning. I need to get a better editor, like Sonar or something.

The bass (mainly in the low strings) sounds a little weird, didn't have the richness I desired -- but also it depends on the speakers I'm hearing it on. On my headphones it sounds ok, or even a little attenuated. On my speakers w/subwoofer it's all distorted and rumbly. :evil:

Still, I was happy with the contrast of the pizzicato sections, and I thought the weird harp/cello/oboe episode (after the 2nd appearance of the main theme) was kind of interesting. It's another learning experience, but if there are any obvious thoughts you guys have on how it could have been better, I'd love to hear them. :)