Back in Time Live 2007 - official thread

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
the_JinX
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by the_JinX »

The only other micromusic thing I went to was the C64Orchestra opening night.. which was great and very professional..

This night will be a bit .. unorganised.. I know the place where they'll be performing ..
But hey .. what can you expect for 4 euro's ;)
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
And when in russia, pet a PETSCII
http://annejan.com/
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Hey all,

we're back home, it was absolutely great to finally meet / meet again all of you guys and gals. Best BITLive ever! :clap: :clap:

Photos and stuff will follow... :wink:

- Natascha & Markus
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Mayhem wrote:Found a couple more videos on YouTube... is Redhawk a member here?
http://uk.youtube.com/user/redhawk000
He is, he's redhawk in this here forum and BritHawk in the Slayradio IRC channel.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's an uncomfortable tension between nostalgia and making the music credibly and dancey. It seems that if you try to widen the range of an event, you end up narrowing it instead.

For instance, a combined C64 and NES event would mostly get people interested in both (except for a small hardcore), partially because people are actively repelled if they know there will be stuff there they don't remember or like.

Micromusic seems to sit uncomfortably in the nostalgia area, since the range is a bit wide, whereas what it should maybe be doing is connecting to, for example, the fanbase of the Aphex Twins, and ditching the nostalgia completely.

It seems to me that videogame music of any kind only works commercially in a large sense when it's presented without nostalgia.

I'm glad of our little C64 Remix bubble though.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

Thats a very good point.

For me its a combination of bigtime nostalgia and the fact I have always liked electronic music (house/techno/acid house/ambient etc).

but listening to slayradio, Boz and Ziphoid's show have opened up a whole load of tunes I would never have bothered listening to as i had never heard of the tune in question. I just stuck to the game tunes i knew.

so really the nostalgia is the hook and if you like electronic music you will stay hooked. To draw more people in I think you need to have more real instrument remixes. My missus hated all the electronic stuff at BIT live but really liked M J Hibbert and Reyn's performances.

I agree the nostalgia part kinda needs to be "hidden" to the wider audience as many people dont want to feel geeky or nerdy, the music should be enjoyed in its own right not simply because Last Ninja was a great game etc.

The remix64 bubble is a very cosy one ;)
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

khisanth wrote:but listening to slayradio, Boz and Ziphoid's show have opened up a whole load of tunes I would never have bothered listening to as i had never heard of the tune in question. I just stuck to the game tunes i knew.
Agreed, though quite often it is also someone doing the remix and me seeing a "good" face or better on RKO next to it, so I download and check it out. Without that I probably wouldn't have listened to Gordian Tomb (both title and ingame, someone needs to do the full 32 minute jobbie on the latter!), A Sad Trip For You, Project 11, Someday, Tristess and many others.

Most of the actual game music that gets remixed I know and love. It's the stuff from demos, small obscure games and other projects that I like to discover.

Rest assured btw that whilst a fair few people will be listening to 8bit Weapon at CGE next month, parts of the floor stop still to absorb the goodness that is their Crazy Comets performance. The reaction at BIT Live gives you some idea of how well that goes down with just about everyone there.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

To draw more people in I think you need to have more real instrument remixes. My missus hated all the electronic stuff at BIT live but really liked M J Hibbert and Reyn's performances.
I think there's a very definite line there. Actually, in terms of commercial appeal, everything except Reyn and MJ was much more relevant to a younger audience, whereas Reyn and MJ are much more the sort of audience for a more... ahem... mature agegroup :)

I think there are more of the first audience than the second willing to get off their arses and go to clubs. If I was ever inclined to try and break into the first audience, it would be an uphill struggle to get the music heard unless there was some act they'd already heard of who were C64 fans willing to do it: rather like, in fact, Jeroen headlined BIT Live.

It's a thought, but it's not this scene :) Hence my ambivalence about doing anything along those lines. Plus I have a day job!

Chris
redhawk

Post by redhawk »

Well that's just f**king great I check my MySpace page today and it looks like they've removed all my live videos of Reyn from the list. :(
I'm a little puzzled as to why they would do such a thing considering the amount of copyrighted music videos they already have on the system.
I wont be uploading to that site anymore until MySpace have contacted me about the matter.
Anyway more video uploads coming soon.. :)

Richard S.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

Hey folks - the bitlive dvd project im working on is looking very fruity so far - ive got over 1gb of video content already, and chris is even letting me use the c64audio anim from the bitlive 2004 dvd which ive managed to rip out :)

Keep your eyes peeled on my separate thread for any updates and when (and how) it'll be freely available :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

redhawk wrote:Well that's just f**king great I check my MySpace page today and it looks like they've removed all my live videos of Reyn from the list. :(
I'm a little puzzled as to why they would do such a thing considering the amount of copyrighted music videos they already have on the system.
I wont be uploading to that site anymore until MySpace have contacted me about the matter.
Anyway more video uploads coming soon.. :)

Richard S.
Weird. First I've heard of it! Stupid gits.

Chris
redhawk

Post by redhawk »

Well I don't know what happened but they've reappeared back into my video upload section.
I'm wondering if this was some kind of MySpace error or my ISP NTL being gay with their web caching software.
I've had trouble with NTL in the past over websites either completely vanishing or containing pages that haven't been updated for days.
Anyway more uploads coming soon... :)

Richard S.
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Well, some pics are added to http://ziphoid.com/gallery/v/bitlive2007 and more will come there as well.
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Ziphoid wrote:Well, some pics are added to http://ziphoid.com/gallery/v/bitlive2007 and more will come there as well.
One of the best pictures from those albums, taken by Tron. Heya mate! Rock on! :rock: