Request

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Request

Post by Chappers »

Is there anyone who is driving to Brighton who could give me a lift on the Friday?

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to cut down on travel costs as much as I can. At the moment, I'm booked on a National Express coach which is quite cheap but the total journey time just to get to Brighton on that is a shade over 8 hours!!!!

I've been thinking for a while about the lengthy journey time I would be doing and what effect it would have on me as regards to the footy so this is why I'm asking at this late stage. I don't want to be knackered even before the footy (if indeed we can get enough people for it) so I'd rather not do the coach if I can avoid it. The cost of the train journey is more expensive so that's out.

I'll need to be in Brighton about late afternoon to be ready for the football so I can't do the coach from Stansted if the times Chris gave stay about the same. Also, in relation, there's the small matter of actually getting to Stansted in the first place :)

Obviously, I'll contribute to petrol costs, toll bridge charges etc. Can anyone help?

Paul
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: Request

Post by Waz »

Paul Chapman wrote:The cost of the train journey is more expensive so that's out.
Ah, that's true. There's no direct route from Grimsby to Brighton and no cheap discounted train fares (unlike say, Manchester-London: I'm going first class on Midland Mainline for £20 return next month!!)

You'd be looking at 5 hours and 2 changes of train on the train (change at Doncaster, then Kings Cross for the Thameslink to Brighton) and the cheapest Apex return I saw was around £60 ish. Ouch indeed.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Sorry guys... :( I was planning on running a coach from the North ourselves, but it wasn't economically feasible. And wherever I hold BIT Live, there's always someone who's far away... it's a pain...

Chris
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Chris Abbott wrote:Sorry guys... :( I was planning on running a coach from the North ourselves, but it wasn't economically feasible. And wherever I hold BIT Live, there's always someone who's far away... it's a pain...

Chris
It's a fair and true point, Chris. Someone's always going to have problems with the distance. :(

In my case, it's all academic anyway as I've just had a quick look at my National Express tickets to see if I could get a refund but it does unfortunately say that they are non-refundable.

Plus they are in my name so can't be used by someone else. This means, if I'm going to save money, I've got no choice but to use them. :(

Major kicking of own arse going on now. I would jump the gun and order them without thinking it through :x

What a maroon. I'll learn..... :)

Paul
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Reading about your plight, and seeing "Grimsby" in your profile actually gave me an idea.

If enough people from Oop North support BIT Live Brighton and buy the tickets in advance, then I'll give you next year....

Back in Time Live Blackpool

.... is that a deal?

Chris
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Chris Abbott wrote:Reading about your plight, and seeing "Grimsby" in your profile actually gave me an idea.

If enough people from Oop North support BIT Live Brighton and buy the tickets in advance, then I'll give you next year....

.... is that a deal?

Chris
Sounds like a plan to me cos I reckon BITBrighton is gonna be a success...there is plenty of accomodation in Blackpool too.......and I do mean PLENTY!
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Chris Abbott wrote:Reading about your plight, and seeing "Grimsby" in your profile actually gave me an idea.

.... is that a deal?

Chris
Aye lad, that's grand. :)

Soon as tickets are available, I'll be buying mine.....along with me whippets and flat cap :D

I'll see thee....

Paul
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Paul Chapman wrote: Soon as tickets are available, I'll be buying mine.....along with me whippets and flat cap :D
I'll see thee....
You been watching Indoor League by any chance, Paul? ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't have a BITLive in Blackpool personally. The beach is not good for playing football on for a start, and it gets full of hen and stag nights (which can also present a problem when you're looking for hotel accomodation)

Just think Chris if you weren't putting on the coaches from Stansted how many people wouldn't come.... and that's only down to Brighton.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I think BIT Live Blackpool would be a smaller event for Northerners, probably... just a whippet get together :)

Chris
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

wazzaw wrote: You been watching Indoor League by any chance, Paul? ;)
Dad's a Yorkshireman so my childhood was littered with those 'humorous' catchphrases ringing in my ears :) I remember watching Fantasy Football League a few years ago and they would always show bits of Indoor League as well as Freddie's sign off :D

Bullseye was another classic to appear on our screens. I found it funny for all the wrong (or right) reasons even then when a couple (usually mother & son from Oop North) won a speedboat when it was clear they lived on a council estate. I remember my Dad & me willing the star prize to be a speedboat and then to see the looks on their faces when you know they would have no use for it at all :lol:

Happy days......

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Bit Blackpool, now thats a grand scheme. Not for it being up north though ofcourse thats a bonus, but blackpool is one heck of a good night out almost on par with donny ;) LOL!

hah! actually i wish donny wasn't such a good night out at times, too many hangovers. hah! got a monster hangover right now! well i was in a wetherspoons most of the day. £1.09 a pint or 99p for a bottle. lethal!

but back to blackpool, great venue. thumbs up :)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

oh, but waz does have a good point about stag nights and the beach is a right mess or was last time i was there. The water is filthy! ironically the last time i visited blackpool was on a stag night.