question from a newbie podcaster to be :)

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

question from a newbie podcaster to be :)

Post by khisanth »

Hi one and all.

I have bitten the bullet and decided to make a contribution to the retro world, with a UK/Euro orientated podcast covering the retro computing scene. I would like to play various remixes and original chip tunes and want to know the etiquette/legal issues concerning this:

Remixes - Obviously this is a case of asking permission to use someones remix, but are people generally okay about this?

chip tunes - Again with newly created stuff, ask permission. Whats the deal with tunes that were in games?

Lastly are any of you crazy remixers/musicians up for being interviewed at some point in the future???!

any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: question from a newbie podcaster to be :)

Post by khisanth »

cmon guys and gals!
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

cheers, how did yours get on? easy as you thought or harder?
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

khisanth wrote:any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ok. I'll give you a few bits of advice from me, but bare in mind, I've not done a Podcast and generally I don't know what day it is.
khisanth wrote:Remixes - Obviously this is a case of asking permission to use someone's remix, but are people generally okay about this?
People will probably be ok about this, but always seek permission for the remixer, it's polite, and it will also have the side benefit of making more people aware of the podcast.

Never use a commercial remix (e.g. something from Remix64 V3 Syntax Era) without permission.
khisanth wrote:chip tunes - Again with newly created stuff, ask permission. Whats the deal with tunes that were in games?
Game tunes and remixes of these tunes do have legal issues around them. Getting permission from the original musician will help.

Also You always may try email or PM Chris Abbott and ask very politely from some basic legal advice, and then wait patiently for a response.
khisanth wrote:Lastly are any of you crazy remixers/musicians up for being interviewed at some point in the future???!
Contact people who you think are interesting enough to interview directly and ask them this question. An open question like this, probably won't get a response for many reasons that I'm too lazy to go into.
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

Thanks for that, I just wanted to be 100% clear on how to approach this.

[/quote]
Contact people who you think are interesting enough to interview directly and ask them this question. An open question like this, probably won't get a response for many reasons that I'm too lazy to go into.[/quote]

good point, I wasn't expecting definite answers to that question just a comment or something. So yes totally agree, go to the people directly. I need to find my feet first, before do any interviews etc.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

Basically the first thing I did was to contact chris abbott, after that I was permitted to play songs from any album with his permission, as long as c64audio.com etc were mentioned, I also contacted many fine remixers who all gave their blessings, of course the remixes that are freely available are not a problem to play. I miss my podcasts but got bored of them eventually as I felt I was talking to myself.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

khisanth wrote:I have bitten the bullet and decided to make a contribution to the retro world, with a UK/Euro orientated podcast covering the retro computing scene.
Excellent news, that man. I've been yearning for a euro retro gaming/computing podcasts ever since Weekend Gamer's Audio eXtra released their last show back in December '08.
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

well my behringer mic and little mixing deck arrived, once I get my levels sorted will be ready to roll.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Good luck Khisanth. My podcasts usually include some kind of remix or sid music but are more focused on C64 emulation how-to's, C64 gaming history, specific old games, and talkie stuff.

If you can find a co-host in your time zone I think that would be a great idea if you plan to talk much, because I've found that talking for 20 minutes can get tough to do without stumbling.

Jan had some advice for me in my podcasts, check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6156
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

unless your name is Boz, talking for 2 minutes can be difficult lol
Darren Guest

Post by Darren Guest »

Subzero wrote:I miss my podcasts but got bored of them eventually as I felt I was talking to myself.
At my last job where I had unmetered internet access and was allowed to wear headphones at my desk I listened to quite a lot of them.

No idea why we got made redundant really.... :lol:
annablack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by annablack »

Looking forward to it Khisanth :) x
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

great stuff everyone!

Well I have to say it is indeed hard work and yes without a co host its tough talking for any length of time. Even with a script I am stumbling over words
etc. done a test show and managed to get 15 minutes with 2 songs and a bit of waffle. next will do a proper one with news, more music , basically more proper content.

got the website for it done, a logo, rss feed etc.

So hats off to you podcasters and slayradio DJs, what you do is hard work and is definitely a skill. Need some of Boz's talking bollocks skills!
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

khisanth wrote: Well I have to say it is indeed hard work and yes without a co host its tough talking for any length of time. Even with a script I am stumbling over words
I suggest a SubZero team up~! What say you, Mr. Subzero? Will that bring you out of semi-retirement?

If I was even remotely close to you guys I would join in. But it's 12PM in Texas now and by the time I get home weeknights it would be midnight over there...(and that falsely assumes my 3 year old could actually keep quiet at 6PM!)