Categorizing remixes.

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
Bruno Falardeau
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Categorizing remixes.

Post by Bruno Falardeau »

Hello all,

This might actually more be a suggestion for RKO, but it would be nice if the remixes could be categorized. That way, people who dislike, orchestral, dance or hard guitar remixes could skip downloading such tunes and target more easily what it is they really want.

Bruno
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

I think this is a very good idea although I, myself, am horrible at catagorizing my work :)
<--- I went that way --->
Bruno Falardeau
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Bruno Falardeau »

Heh, don't think for a second I'd be any better...

I'm much better myself at recognizing what I enjoy than at defining categories to store them. When I'll enter the remixing circle myself (which I plan to do in maybe 8 months from now), my stuff shall be categorized as "Random attempts at music flowing through an insane man's head".

Bruno :P
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Please God

Post by C64GLeN »

No, No, Please don't :(

Many many Arguements will be created.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I've thought about this over the last few days, at first i thought mmm, sounds like a good idea to me. But when i really thought about it, i'm not so sure.

reasons.....

1) too many remixes that would struggle to fit in a single catagory

2) if you don't like orchestral for example, then because you don't like that style you'd miss out on some fabulous remixes, say for example Glyn's Firelord.

3) if this feature was implemented, then i'm sure the question would be...Hey what about a top 10 chart for each catagory. (mmm, that actually does sound quite interesting.)

i dunno, my main reservation is point 2, but i'm not totally convinced with my argument ;)

Neil
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

No problem

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
2) if you don't like orchestral for example, then because you don't like that style you'd miss out on some fabulous remixes, say for example Glyn's Firelord.
>>>
Who cares if some closed-minded bozo misses out?

The main difficulty will be in categorising the things. Probably best to categorise the ones that are easy to categorise to give a start, and then categorise the rest over time, putting them temporarily into the "Miscellaneous" category.

But Jan would need to have this info on RKO if it was to make any sense.

Chris
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Neil

I must admit this does sound like a fresh idea which could work well. Regarding the comments on 'missing out' on certain tunes, and Chris's tough analysis of this :) I reckon that if you see a tune praised up to the eyeballs and rated highly then you're likely to give it a whirl even if it's mixed in a style you don't like. And yes, if someone is not prepared to listen to it, then it's a loss to that person and that person alone.

Personally I can't stand trance stuff, but every now and then i'll enjoy a mix in this style. The top ten 'catergorized' chart sounds great too!

Tomsk
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Perhaps it would be easiest for the remixers themselves to classify their own tunes instead of anyone else...?