Rating systems ideas

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
Paul Vanukoff

Rating systems ideas

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

OK I'd like to implement a rating system for AmigaRemix.com. Ideally I'd like it done just like RKO / Remix64, but if and when that happens is a question for another day.

Currently I'm thinking about letting visitors rate each song (on a scale from 0 to 10 or 0 to 100). My question is how to prevent people from cheating. Here are some ideas I have:

1. Ask for and record their email address. Problem with that is people can easily vote multiple times by putting in different email address. Other problem, a lot of people are not willing to give their email address, etc ...

2. Record their IP address when they vote so they can't revote for the same song from the same IP address. Problem is, if they are on dial up, they can just reconnect.

3. Require people to get an actual account so they must log in to vote. Problem here is a lot of people wouldn't want to bother.

I'm thinking on implementing a combo of 1 and 2 for now.

Anyone have any other ideas? Feedback, etc?
Paul Vanukoff
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Rating systems ideas

Post by ifadeo »

Paul Vanukoff wrote:
3. Require people to get an actual account so they must log in to vote. Problem here is a lot of people wouldn't want to bother.

I'm thinking on implementing a combo of 1 and 2 for now.

Anyone have any other ideas? Feedback, etc?
i think option 3 is the best solution, it's more like remix64... :wink:
it's the best way to get people to vote, and put away those freaks
which want to cheat....

:off topic:

btw. did you check this faery tale tune.... :lol:

cheers 2Klang
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

I agree with 2Klang, the only fair way is to get people to sign up first. I'm sure you'll get quite a few people signing up straight away, after all, there's all the Remix64 members to start you off :wink:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Paul,

I'd go for a membership thingy, too. If you need help setting up the voting system, I can share my experience. Just contact me :)

- Markus
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Membership is perhaps the best way of doing it, since you can keep track of how people are voting. But alt. 2 isn't that bad either, though some sad person would probably abuse it.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

option 3 i think is the best way, thats how we do it at remix64 and it seems to work well.

Another suggestion here, would be to pass on our info to paul, why not use the same login data as remix64... that way your guarantee'd members.

Neil
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

and since many of your members would be the same as ours, using the same login data would be very good...

saves people having to remember two logins!

Neil
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Neil wrote:and since many of your members would be the same as ours, using the same login data would be very good...

saves people having to remember two logins!

Neil
good idea, neil... i hope paul make it so.... :wink:

cheers 2Klang
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Rating systems ideas

Post by CraigG »

Paul Vanukoff wrote:Currently I'm thinking about letting visitors rate each song (on a scale from 0 to 10 or 0 to 100).
Why not use the same scale as R64, if the sites are going to be (partially) integrated anyway?
Paul Vanukoff

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

R64 integration it is. Markus - I'm going to email you right now.
Paul Vanukoff