Bug Reports Here.

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Bug Reports Here.

Post by Razmo »

omoroca wrote:I used to have that problem too in the phpbb2 version of this forum: I started reading the new topics, got a phone call or something, and when I returned to the computer, I was logged off automatically due to timeout and everything was marked as read. :evil:

I like it much better the way it is now.
Seriously Omoroca! ... you CANNOT leave to talk on the phone while you're on R64! ... Heathen! :sly:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

I feel so ashamed! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

You're so right. I promise I will better myself.

Oops! Phone ringing! :eekout:
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Personally I am strongly against links automatically opening in new windows. If I want a site opened in a new window, I do it manually - and I guess most other people knows how to do this as well.
Experto credite!
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

I did complain.

Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4933&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=24

Currently I'm always pressing the middle mouse button, but this is quite annoying, as I have to do that in none of the other forums I visit. I would prefer a setting in the forum profile where I can choose how I want to open links contained in forum posts.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

To me, it makes more sense for a link to open in a new window (or tab), allowing you to carry on reading the forum when you've finished with the new page...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

To me, too. But obviously there are people who find it more sensible to open links in the same window.

And that's why it should be made a setting in the personal profile. Hugh!
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Pointless arguing really, since that's an issue for phpbb and not a remix64.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

One of the general rules that I like to follow is... if there is an external link.. it should open in a new window or tab, as you dont want the user leaving you're site, if they forget and close the window, they are no longer on you're site, but if they are taken to a new window when the link is clicked... once they close that new window they can still get to you're site quickly.

Not sure if I'm articulating this clearly.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

ANX: you are! ... and that's exactly how I prefer it... I hate when I click a link somewhere while browsing for stuff... then I click a lot of other links on that new page, and when I'm done and want to get back to the site I came from... I have to press "back" a thousand times before I get there :confusion: ... much easier to just click "close" and you're back! 8)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

C64GLeN wrote:Pointless arguing really, since that's an issue for phpbb and not a remix64.
phpbb is written in php, which is uncompiled script code, so you can re-program it or download mods programmed by others.

So it's absolutely not pointless arguing.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

omoroca wrote:
C64GLeN wrote:Pointless arguing really, since that's an issue for phpbb and not a remix64.
phpbb is written in php, which is uncompiled script code, so you can re-program it or download mods programmed by others.

So it's absolutely not pointless arguing.
Hmm, you seem to be suggesting that the admins on here should create a mod from scratch because one or two members have a problem with one of the forum minor features.

Even if this was a small job, the manor in which you've asked for this wouldn't make me want to look into it.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

It's a philosophy rather than a bug: in HTML 4 stict standard, links must always open in the same window, since that decision is to be made by the visitor rather than by the website author. I tend to agree...
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

LMan wrote:It's a philosophy rather than a bug: in HTML 4 stict standard, links must always open in the same window, since that decision is to be made by the visitor rather than by the website author. I tend to agree...
I also agree.

One thing that REALLY bugs me though, is the fact that I have to login way too often. Even though I click 'Remember me' it keeps telling me to log in again. Also, it seems like I can only save the login (still only now and then) on one computer at a time. This is REALLY annoying.
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

C64GLeN wrote:Hmm, you seem to be suggesting that the admins on here should create a mod from scratch because one or two members have a problem with one of the forum minor features.

Even if this was a small job, the manor in which you've asked for this wouldn't make me want to look into it.
Incredible! 4 mistakes in such a short post! I've marked them in red.

1.) I didn't suggest anything. I said download or program.
2.) How can you know how many members would like external links to open in the same window? Have you asked everyone in here?
3.) It's not a minor feature bc links are a frequently used feature. There's hardly any thread without any links!
4.) I didn't ask you to look into it. That would be useless anyway.
LMan wrote:It's a philosophy rather than a bug: in HTML 4 stict standard, links must always open in the same window, since that decision is to be made by the visitor rather than by the website author. I tend to agree...
I don't think commercial websites will stick to this, as there's nothing more terrible to them than a user leaving the site and not coming back. So I guess they won't give a shite when their webmasters start talking about HTML 4 and rather stick to their keep-the-site-open-as-long-as-possible philosophy.

From the philosophical point of view, this forum's behavior might be the desired behavior. But for the user, it is really disturbing to have different behaviors on different sites, so it would be good to have sites where you can choose yourself, once and for all rather than on each and every click. At least on sites with a login, this should be made possible for the users' comfort.

But you're the boss in here, so you decide. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

A poll might resolve this. Feel free to create one, if there's a majority for the new-window behaviour, I'll look into it.