[BUG?] RKO uploader not working

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: [BUG?] RKO uploader not working

Post by AndyUK »

what about timeouts? how long is it before that screen appears? the tune I uploaded got sent in a minute or so, and the description screen you mention above appeared after that.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

Same thing here. About one minute or two, but I haven't had to wait longer. I guess a timeout can be excluded. Unfortunately I can't try it by using the IE, because I don't have it anymore. But I don't think that would change anything. So it's not because of a timeout, a browser problem (as I mentioned I used Safari as well), a forgotten/wrong information or a false file. It might be caused by a bug or a temporarely system crash. Who knows...
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

In addition to AnydUK's upload (which was just published), Mordi submitted a track yesterday. Neither have reported problems uploading.

I tried uploading a test file just now, stating MUSICIANS/D/Dunn_Jonathan/Dragon_Ninja.sid (path copied straight from your previous message) as the SID, and set the subtune to 1. The file in question is encoded with LAME's -V0 'extreme' preset. Upload went straight through. Using Firefox 14.0.1 on a Mac.
Uploaded file: Jan Lund Thomsen - Test.mp3
MUSICIANS/D/Dunn_Jonathan/Dragon_Ninja.sid: Valid HVSC 57 file.
Analysing file...
Filetype: mp3
Duration: 2:26
Bitrate: 235416.27608812
Samplerate: 44100
Successfully erased old ID3v1/v2 tags...
Successfully added ID3v1/v2 tags...
Thank you for your upload.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

I'm out of ideas right now. The upload still fails! I tried to upload the tune from different computers with different browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE) and different operating systems (Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux). I also encoded the tune with different lame encoders (up to the newest version). Whatever and wherever I'm doing, the upload fails at any time! The message I get is exactly the same I quoted in my last post:

Uploaded file: - .mp3
SID not found in HVSC 57.
SID subtune missing. If the SID only has one tune, enter "1" on the form.Analysing file...
Filetype:
Duration:
Bitrate:
Samplerate:
Wrong filetype. This site only accepts mp3 files.
Please notice that some versions of LAME produce bugged MP3s, so if you're using an earlier version please upgrade it and try submitting your tune again.Your submission wasn't added to the queue. Please go back and correct any faulty items before trying again.

An error occured while processing your upload. You probably chose an invalid filename or forgot to select a file.

A friend of mine, a computer expert, also tried to upload the tune but fails. He told me that there`s probably an error in your script. He checked if there's an error in the mp3-file, but it's not. The mp3-file is definitely ok. I can't do anymore else. I tried everything possible, but now it seems that my friend is right. Sure that there's no mistake in the script? It's a remix of subtune 2 that I'm trying to upload, not subtune 1.

Any ideas how to continue?
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

TNT wrote:The message I get is exactly the same I quoted in my last post:

Uploaded file: - .mp3
SID not found in HVSC 57.
SID subtune missing. If the SID only has one tune, enter "1" on the form.
< ... >
An error occured while processing your upload. You probably chose an invalid filename or forgot to select a file.
Are you absolutely 100% sure you clicked the "browse" button and chose a file before hitting upload? Did you key in the subtune number or leave it at the default? The subtune error is triggered by leaving the number set to the default "0" value.
TNT wrote:A friend of mine, a computer expert, also tried to upload the tune but fails. He told me that there`s probably an error in your script. He checked if there's an error in the mp3-file, but it's not. The mp3-file is definitely ok. I can't do anymore else. I tried everything possible, but now it seems that my friend is right. Sure that there's no mistake in the script?
Does your friend, the computer expert, have access to the upload script? Did he talk to the people who have no problems uploading and check how they filled out the form? Did he watch me encode a WAV file with the command-line version of LAME 3.99.5, fill out the submission form, upload the file, and get the receipt email without problems this morning? And if not, how can he be so sure that the script is at fault?
TNT wrote:Any ideas how to continue?
See above.

(BTW, "computer expert" isn't a protected title - so for all we know your friend could have found his certificate in a candy wrapper. Or written it in crayon himself.)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

This error really does look like a "oops blank submitted form" error: there's no filename on the MP3 and no subtune specified in the readout.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Or maybe some security tool or proxy is preventing the file to come through at some level.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

TNT, if you want you could send the file to me and I will try to upload it.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

That's very kind of you. :)
I will try it just one more time within the next days, but if it still isn't working, we can do it this way. Thanks! But this can't be the answer for my uploads in future. Of course I want to be able doing it on my own sooner.
Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Are you absolutely 100% sure you clicked the "browse" button and chose a file before hitting upload? Did you key in the subtune number or leave it at the default? The subtune error is triggered by leaving the number set to the default "0" value.
Yes, of course I'm absolutely sure. It's 100% guaranteed that I clicked the "browse" button and chose the right file as well as I typed a "2" into the subtune slot. No informations were missed before uploading the file.
Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Does your friend, the computer expert, have access to the upload script? Did he talk to the people who have no problems uploading and check how they filled out the form? Did he watch me encode a WAV file with the command-line version of LAME 3.99.5, fill out the submission form, upload the file, and get the receipt email without problems this morning? And if not, how can he be so sure that the script is at fault?
He just checked the mp3-file and looked at the message after uploading, asked a few questions (known problems uploading a tune of anybody else etc.), drawed his conclusions und told me his assessment. He also wonders that even the mp3's filename couldn't be identified.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Yes, the filename oddity is ... well ... odd. As mentioned on the upload page, the file gets automatically renamed to "(artist) - (title).mp3" upon reception. So if you aren't trying to pass an SQL injection through the title field, there shouldn't be any problems. :)

PM me a link to the file (preferably both in MP3 and WAV format, but will settle for MP3) as well as the track title I can try to run it through the upload script from this end. Mind you, it's not like I'm directly connected to the RKO server (It's not even in the same country as me) or that the box sees my connection as anything like that of any other regular user.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

I have sent the PM. If you can upload it successfully, I really have to think about the unknown error. I absolutely don't have a clue which mistake could be responsible for this strange thing. I tried everything at different places both with different hardware and different software.
LMan wrote:Or maybe some security tool or proxy is preventing the file to come through at some level.
I also thought about that and deactivated Antivir. There's no other security program on my computer. But still the same as always, the upload still fails.

Something must have been changed. My previous uploads were uploaded exactly the same way I'm trying to do it since two weeks with my current new remix. I changed absolutely nothing, neither in the way creating the mp3-file nor in my computer system. I'm entirely clueless.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I've investigated the issue over the weekend, and it looks like the error occurs in one of the 'outer layers', before the web server software passes the file on to the script (resulting in PHP receiving an empty $_FILES array, for the technically interested). Too early to say what causes this, but I'll have a word with Ziphoid to figure out whether it has anything to do with the server upgrade in mid-september.

"Interesting."
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

I don't know if you already fixed the error, but surprisingly I was able to upload the remix (and also another one) a few minutes ago without any problems. :)

But indeed, still a strange thing - especially if you haven't changed anything yet. Hopefully there won't be any problems of the same kind again in future. However, I know computers are complicated as well as the software itself. Anyway, thanks for the help!
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Ziph and I tweaked the server config earlier today and now things should be working again (received both your uploads). We moved RKO to a new setup approx. a month ago and apparently the new box needed things set up slightly different.

Kudos to Chris for helping pinpoint the bugged setting.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks for fixing it, guys! :rei: