ROTY voting system suggestion

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

ROTY voting system suggestion

Post by LaLa »

Hi all!

I've finally managed to listen to the ROTY 2011 awards show, and I was very saddened by the appallingly low number of people voting this year.

I have been extremely busy these past few weeks, but I still took the time to think about the past year's SID remix releases and submit my votes in at least some of the categories. My job was made somewhat easier due to the fact that throughout the year I've kept a running list that I call my personal "Best of RKO" - I simply had to enter those 73 (!) tunes at the ROTY voting page, then think long and hard which ones should be towards the top, and voila, I was done.

Now, I know I could've kept this "running list" on the ROTY voting page itself, since it was open for ROTY 2011 votes ever since Jan 1, 2010 (or something close to it).

But wouldn't it be wonderful if on Remix64's voting page for individual tunes there would also be a button to nominate the given tune for ROTY 2012? Something like this was hinted at in the broadcast itself, but I think it would be great.

Then I thought about it further. Generally speaking, pretty much everything I voted on with a red smilie throughout the year also got a vote from me for ROTY 2011, and several tunes I voted on with an orange smilie also got a vote from me for ROTY 2011. Furthermore, the person I chose for "Best Veteran of the Year" was probably the person whose tunes got the highest average score from me throughout the year, and the newbie I chose for the "Best Newcomer of the Year" was most likely the newbie whose tunes got the highest average score from me throughout the year.

It would've been fantastic if on the ROTY 2011 voting page I could've got information about which individual remixes I've rated red and orange throughout the year, and it would've been great if I also had an automatically compiled list on the voting page about the top veterans and the top newcomers as per MY votes throughout the year.

But let's go one step further with the automation: since we are already voting for tunes throughout the year, why don't we use the aggregate of THOSE votes to determine the best C64/Amiga remix of the year and the best newcomer/veteran of the year?

What do you think?
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: ROTY voting system suggestion

Post by Dr.Future »

I support this suggestion!

But: Would ANYONE please think of the children?
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Hey guys! Thanks, LaLa, for those constructive suggestions.

Voting for ROTY from the voting box was always possible:
roty1.PNG
roty1.PNG (16.02 KiB) Viewed 53808 times
I've placed that information on the ROTY voting page now, so hopefully this will become more apparent.

You can also review your personal charts on the charts page.
1. Go to the charts and set the filter to the year
2. Click the "My Vote" table header to sort by your own vote.
roty2.PNG
roty2.PNG (58.67 KiB) Viewed 53808 times
Using the regular votes for the ROTY result would not quite be the same, actually the ROTY results offen differ from the charts. Often the remixer of the year did not place #1 at all. There are other factors like the amount of contribution etc. Personally, I wouldn't vote each tune for ROTY that I gave a red one for. :)

Maybe I should display a hint in the voting box each time someone gives a red, though.
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

LMan, you are DAMan! :D
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Good suggestions, LaLa.
I think the ROTY should have more focus on the RKO-page as well. Maybe a few weeks or a month before the voting closes. An image of a trophy, and some text saying "12 days until voting ends!" or something to that effect would probably grab the attention of many folks who would otherwise forget or miss it completely. I'm not sure how it works currently, but I think RKO itself only mentions the voting in the news-box to the left.
Check out my website.
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

LMan wrote: Voting for ROTY from the voting box is possible:

[...]

You can also review your personal charts on the charts page.
:worship:

I wished all my wishes came true so fast! Thanks, LMan!
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

You're welcome!! :)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Actually the fact that the feature's been there for about 5 years, and people not realizing, got me thinking. I've added a little feature that blinks the ROTY tab after submitting a red smiley. Might just work :)
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

So, the ROTY tab on the voting box is great - but I need a lot more than just 5 slots for the various categories! Could you please make it add an empty slot automatically, just like it does on the "official" ROTY voting page?

Thanks!
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

It's exactly like that. #5 gets pushed down and can be seen on the main ROTY voting page. All ranks below #4 score the same amount of points.
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

LMan wrote:It's exactly like that. #5 gets pushed down and can be seen on the main ROTY voting page. All ranks below #4 score the same amount of points.
Ahh, okay. That wasn't clear for me from the visual representation of it.

Thanks!
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\