Terra Cresta

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
timforsyth
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Terra Cresta

Post by timforsyth »

Hey,

I'm fairly close to finishing the arrangement on this one, I've got my work cut out for me mixing this thing as I have a tendency to keep turning everything up. This is why the opening is so quiet and I just got carried away towards the end.

A few fx are placeholders for now (like the s&h impact chip impact) and I'm not 100% happy with a few sounds.

I've been so close to this mix for a week or so now that I'm interested to hear what you think, what works and what needs improvement.

https://soundcloud.com/timforsyth/terra ... 39dfMyq7RD
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Terra Cresta

Post by LaLa »

I just got carried away towards the end.
That is exactly what I like in your latest remixes: that you get carried away in them. :D

I think this remix is pretty solid as-is. I left a few more specific compliments on the Soundcloud page.
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
Vred
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Vred »

Hey,

I like the slow, relaxed build-up at the beginning. The first drum beats give a cool Jarre-on-cyberpunk touch. After the bleeb break at 2:58, I would prefer a restart with fewer instruments. A slower build-up would give the lead more room to shine and then the later full-frequencies-force-in-your-face-part could act as a contrast. Maybe the industrial machine clap smash drum sounds should pause from time to time. And maybe the effect of the bass break end at 4:43 could be amplified by beginning with the bass alone and then adding the screaming machines sounds for the finale.
timforsyth
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by timforsyth »

Thanks guys, glad to get confirmation the sounds and vibe are in the right place.

Vred, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. I couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong, hence this post, but you’re right, the pacing or dynamics are lacking in the second half. Like it goes from 0-5 then a relentless 10, 11, done!

Great feedback, gives me lots to play with, thanks!