Black Lamp subtune 1 - codename whistler

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Black Lamp subtune 1 - codename whistler

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Well, well. This is my, too delayed, not too serious attempt at the Remix64 orchestral competition. I didn't get it finished in time, because of a lot of wonderful reasons! :D

But anyway, hope you'll have some nice three minutes listening to it, and I wish you a taste of salt and ocean, maybe a little bit sun and a nice ice cream!

Any comments, dear friends? :x :? :shock: :o :lol: :?: Put'em here, then!
wobbler
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by wobbler »

Brilliant soundscapes. Amusing as hell. Spot on mastered. Swooasch-e-swoosch. Plinke-plonk-plinke-plink. Dumdedumdedum. Wroang-wroang.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I thought it sounded similar to the cartoon Dunderklumpen at first :D

Nice piece :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I envy your pro-sound soooo much, Pex! I wish I could do stuff like this, but my gear and know-how wont let me at the time being :(

Part from that, I voted it VERY GOOD! I was very tourn as to giving it VERY GOOD or OUTSTANDING, but I decided on VERY GOOD because there are other tunes you've done that I find "better".

This actually led me and Jan into talking about you having your own scale for the voting system, including "Pexalitious" and "Mahoneytastic" ;)
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Makke wrote:IThis actually led me and Jan into talking about you having your own scale for the voting system, including "Pexalitious" and "Mahoneytastic" ;)
*LOL* Thanks! Pro-sound... well, it's just a matter of trying one thing or another, and after having done that a couple of times (ok, a lot of times, hrmmm) it gets better and better!
trace wrote:I thought it sounded similar to the cartoon Dunderklumpen at first
I've heard suggestions that it sounded like the theme from Flåklypa Grand Prix (=a norwegian puppet-movie)! I guess it's the harmonica that does it! :)
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by bluefugue »

*LOL* Thanks! Pro-sound... well, it's just a matter of trying one thing or another, and after having done that a couple of times (ok, a lot of times, hrmmm) it gets better and better!
How much do you do live recording? (Obviously the vocals, but how much besides?) The jazz combo instruments on your Armageddon Man mix sounded very real...

Also you have a very good sense of space and separating the instruments... careful use of stereo? EQ to drop off certain frequencies and isolate sounds? Super duper software? All of the above?

Sorry to pick your brain, but I had to try! :D
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

>How much do you do live recording? (Obviously the vocals, but how much besides?) The jazz combo instruments on your Armageddon Man mix sounded very real...

The Armageddon-man piano was recorded in three takes (with some half an hour of practice before :) ), the first part without the drums was recorded free without any metronome. It's a midi-piece, with Steinberg's The Grand as the instrument. Very nice VSTi, I should say! The piano-part at the end with the drums was recorded and it was also quantized "not to disturb the rest of the sounds"... I touched a few notes here and there afterwards, but "the feeling" was from the original take!

The strings at 1:45 are sample-CDs, with a cello.

At 2:07 there is a very low "angel choir" in the background, to fill out and give a dreamy atmosphere. Also a sample. As well as the drums, which are 9 different sample loops, mixed and combined to give a live feeling.

I added some extra percussion sounds at 2:40, these are 3 different sounds with 3 layers of volume. These are sounds you'll hear at 3:15...

The bass was a giga-sample patch of a contra-bass. I think that's the instrument I would change if I was to make another version of this remix!

>Also you have a very good sense of space and separating the instruments... careful use of stereo? EQ to drop off certain frequencies and isolate sounds? Super duper software? All of the above?

Reverbs, I think. I used 3 or 4 different reverbs for this remix. Two for vocal. You can hear the longer one at the start of the song, and at 3:15. The shorter one is for the faster, improvised parts.

EQ? Well, the bass is kind of limited, I think it was a lowpass EQ to make room for the other instruments.

Stereo? As usual, the bass and the vocals in the middle. The drums a little bit separated. The piano very wide and some of the extra percussion spread as well!

>Sorry to pick your brain, but I had to try!

Hope I gave you some answers that you can live with! If there's anything else, just ask! :D
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Is it you whistling in the Black Lamp-remix? Really good job there, I must say, and yes, parts of this song reminds of Dunderklumpen, the most wicked swedish cartoon ever! :D
Great whistling, again! :) How did you make it so professional?
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson wrote: I've heard suggestions that it sounded like the theme from Flåklypa Grand Prix (=a norwegian puppet-movie)! I guess it's the harmonica that does it! :)
Exactly :) It's the instrumentation. I've watched that movie at least 100 times in my life, and although the instruments sound like the theme, the tune itself doesn't... Bjergkøbing Grand Prix forever! :)

I really like the tune nomatter what it sounds like... It's so cute :D
<--- I went that way --->
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

trace wrote:I thought it sounded similar to the cartoon Dunderklumpen at first :D
And here I was thinking that I'm one of the last people to remember Dunderklumpen. Mind you, I never watched the cartoon, but had to make do with an adapted-for-radio version. Still have the vinyl. :D
mr_salvador

Post by mr_salvador »

Splendid work again, Mahoney!

I'm afraid I must confess that I'm totally biased about Mahoney's tunes. I can't even remember the last time I voted on his tune something else than the "Outstanding". :)

Keep up the good work, again!