What sequencing package do you use? Rsn, FL, Cbs, Renoise?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

What sequencing package do you use? Rsn, FL, Cbs, Renoise?

Post by Tonka »

This has probably been raised here before, but not recently as far as I remember.

Just wondering who uses what and why. What good/bad experiences have people had with their chosen software/hardware(?) and why is your software the ultimate super mega package?

C'mon, lets have an all out "Fruity loops is shite, I use Goattracker" style argument!!! :twisted:

I've recently scuttled back to Fruity loops after realising that Renoise is nowhere near the package it promises to be. I always found it hard to get a decent end result out of FL (sonically), but to be honest I'm beginning to think that all software studios are pretty much of a muchness in terms of output sound quality - you just have to work really at the mixing stage to get anything decent...

Tried a demo of Reason 3 also, and it sounded OK to me (lots of people dis the sound quality) but seemed a bit of an arse-around to get anything done @ any great speed :(

Interested in hearing other peoples views - what works best for you?...

Tonka
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

I use Reason, and I can say for sure it's better than Fasttracker2!

No, wait... you can gradually change tempo i FT. Oh well...
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Reason too. All-that-you-need, extremely stable (approx. one or two crashes <u>per year</u>). Very flexible, and after getting a hang on things you can get to a set goal very quickly.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I use Renoise, because I'm a lazy bastard. I started using it after FastTracker 2, and since it's almost the exact same look and feel it was a quick move.

I am going to start with Cubase some day. I just need a bit more time than I have right now. It's hard to get a crisp mix in Renoise, and bouncing tracks when running out of CPU juice is just not possible with Renoise.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

S'well documented that I use Cakewalk Sonar and Wavelab and work with individual raw audio tracks recorded one by one. I find that it easier to work with conceptually. I've never got on with trackers.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

OK - Reason appears to be in the lead right now. Anyone else using Fruity or am I all alone here?! :cry:

Talking of trackers - Dreamstation 2 is looking promising:

http://www.audio-simulation.de/cgi-bin/ ... ;start=0#0

I wish they'd fix the DS dxi so it would WORK properly in FL! :frustration:

Tonka
jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jgb »

Hardware. Elektron Monomachine and Elektron Machinedrum. The two main sequencers for me. I might use Acid 5 too to fix the final things or perhaps rearrange the audio a bit.
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

been using Cubase in some shape or form since 1988. Some might say that I'm stuck in a rut ;)
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Tonka wrote:Anyone else using Fruity or am I all alone here?! :cry:
Honorabili is using Fruity! :)

...and Glyn R. Brown, atleast as I recall
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I use Reason, but is trying out Renoise cause it can handle VST(I)'s :)

Have tryed Cubase and have used it to some c64 remix i have made.
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Nuendo3 (wich basically, is Cubase3 with some added functionalities).

Why? Because it's the way to go :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

OK, here's one for an arguement, and I'll prolly not reply cos I'll forget I posted here....

Anything which is loop based, like Acid, is great for "sample artists" who haven't got a musical bone in their body. It really gets my back up when someone buys a copy of these sort of programs, buys a CD of loops. Links some loops together and makes more money than people who are writing music from scratch with a proper sequencer. Just like cover bands who make more money than original bands. I kinda feel the same about the Reason type programs out there. So much is done for you, you can get away with having no talent whatsoever.

For me, Cubase.. I wish I could get into Logic, but I've been using Cubase for around 17 years now and can't get out of it. Plus it actually works properly now on PC ;)

m
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

madfiddler wrote:OK, here's one for an arguement, and I'll prolly not reply cos I'll forget I posted here....

Anything which is loop based, like Acid, is great for "sample artists" who haven't got a musical bone in their body. It really gets my back up when someone buys a copy of these sort of programs, buys a CD of loops. Links some loops together and makes more money than people who are writing music from scratch with a proper sequencer. Just like cover bands who make more money than original bands. I kinda feel the same about the Reason type programs out there. So much is done for you, you can get away with having no talent whatsoever.

For me, Cubase.. I wish I could get into Logic, but I've been using Cubase for around 17 years now and can't get out of it. Plus it actually works properly now on PC ;)

m
MR FIDD'S I agree with you 100% with what you say.
The album I did for B.I.T Lite last year was 60% loop based
I only had about 6 weeks to complete the album with 10 tracks that had various styles on it.
I would of recorded the album with my own riff's etc if I had the time but I was also organising the concert along with Markie & Chris so all in all I think it wasn't to bad
as the album I did for FREE :)
You are a FANTASTIC musician and most of us on this site are not half as good as you so it help's sometimes with loops etc etc.

Paul
Last edited by Sidman 64 on 18/02/2006 - 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Hazel
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Hazel »

Well.. I'm using FL Studio as my standard program.. I've been messing around with ReNoise lately but it seems to lack something when it comes to the mastering part (In that case FL is fantastic)..

I only tried Reason once back in the days.. Version 1.5 or something like that.. And I just didn't have a clue how to make it work.. :lol:

Only thing I want in FL to make it perfect would be that the sequencing part would be more like a tracker (as in ReNoise) but I guess we can't have it all in the same program..
-¤- SceneSat staff-member -¤-
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Chris Abbott wrote:S'well documented that I use Cakewalk Sonar and Wavelab and work with individual raw audio tracks recorded one by one. I find that it easier to work with conceptually. I've never got on with trackers.

Chris
Yeah, this is how a pro works! :) My production style, too.
I use Nuendo and it's by far better than anything else! It's even better than Photoshop!