Editorial 06-05 - Don't try this at home - Discussion

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Editorial 06-05 - Don't try this at home - Discussion

Post by LMan »

<a href="/editorial.html">10 GOTO Editorial</a>
moog
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by moog »

I think that always everything could be done better (in music especially). In music doesn't exist something like asymptote, because everything can be done on many ways (styles). Besides instant trying makes the progress !
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

moog wrote:I think that always everything could be done better (in music especially). In music doesn't exist something like asymptote, because everything can be done on many ways (styles). Besides instant trying makes the progress !
Well, it can be done many ways, but there's often a "definitive" way of portraying a piece, and many alternative ways. The definitive way will often be the way the composer actually intended it to be, or so fit the style and feel that it becomes very difficult to think of the piece any other way. There are always alternatives, but everything about history tells us that one particular version of a song or tune often is the definitive version. The only cover versions I can think of which have been more definitive than the original were where the cover was a huge hit and the original was obscure: for instance, "Love of the Common People" or "Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home" from Paul Young, or "Red Red Wine" by UB40.

Not trying to discourage people from trying, although I am ;-)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
moog
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by moog »

but we couldn't be so sure that the actually best version is "definitive" way :). That is a "safer" way of thinking :D. Anyone of all remixes hasn't got 100% rate.
jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jgb »

A version of a song is only the best version until another one replaces it... :)
moog
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by moog »

jgb wrote:A version of a song is only the best version until another one replaces it... :)
haha, that's best conclusion :D
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

as always it's just a question of taste.... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

jgb wrote:A version of a song is only the best version until another one replaces it... :)
That's true, but for many pieces the definitive remix can only be replaced by one in the same style but with better production/sounds/technical aspects/whatever. Of course, some people might hate the original tune and/or the definitive remix of it, and prefer a more original approach. But I stand by my conviction that those pieces I mentioned are only surpassable in technical qualities in their relationship to the tune covered. And sometimes a remix does its job so well it discourages others.

Chris
moog
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by moog »

Chris Abbott, ifadeo: each person of audiance has his own conception of definitive remix. We can also say that production/sounds/technical aspect in modern music are about 50% part of whole work on music.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Maybe you're right, but that list has to be pretty damn short. :)

Perhaps way into the future artificial intelligence agents will on-demand remix music for us based on our preferences, I can't believe our preferences are so equal as to all definitive remixes to be shared by everyone. (wow, what a sad thought; well people will allways make music, simply because its fun/stimulating and emotion expressed may not be that easy to master.)
Last edited by xo on 01/05/2006 - 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

moog wrote:chris abbott, ifadeo: each person of audiance has his own conception of definitive remix.
Well, I did preface my editorial with saying it was a personal list, but I think that the majority of the people agree the majority of the time when a case is powerful enough. Otherwise the voting on RKO or Slay would be random, and it isn't.

This thread was supposed to start people saying what THEY think their definitive remixes and arrangers are, or whether they disagree with me on specifics. It's not much fun to say "there's no point in even talking about it, people are so different", since comparing likes, dislikes, tastes and styles is most of the fun of personal interaction.

Chris
moog
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by moog »

My intention was to talk about something interesting only :), not to start the little quarrel , sorry for that Chris :D
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Okay, let's take a few examples; not fully thought through but what the hell...

Glyn Brown - Rastan Saga

As close to definitive as it may come perhaps.

THC Flatline - Rastan Saga

Quite different remix, but oddly, even though Glyn's remix is quite virtuous I would be sad without this one.

Alexander Prievert - Blood Money

May not be the last word but close to my expectations for a remix of this song.

Shaper - Delta

Simply the one I've always liked the most. But there are several cool delta remixes. Lovely vibe and energy.

Gustav Taxen - Delta

Hard to not include.

Feekzoid - Platoon

The best.

Moog - pretty much everyhing

I can't help it, I'm a fanboy. ;)

I'm sure I overlooked an ingenius remix of each of these :)

Let's hear some more bids then...
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

For me, Dj Kinki's remix of congo bongo is pretty definitive.

yawn.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

haha .. yeah that was awesome.

there is NO definitive remix on this website, there are as the face system suggests ones that are damn good, and others that are absolute codswallop and then you have all the rest inbetween.

but even on the green faced ones your bound to find the odd yellow smiley from someone that did appreciate what the artist was trying to do (yeah even with honerabilli stuff.. SOMEONE was bound to enjoy his work even if it was just him).

people like lagerfeldt, glyn just pushed the boundaries of what we expected remix's to sound like.. gotta remember when firelord 1st came out there was still simple sid to midi remix's with the drum patterns changed a little and some more "modern" synth sounds floating about getting orange faces and so forth.

they pushed the bar up and rather than become the proverbial fullstops on whether or not you should take up the challenge of remixing a tune like robocop 3, rastan, firelord etc they helped other people to learn and understand more the more intensive sides of musical creation and actually move their own bars up, sit and learn how to use filters, spend more time with making things sound clear, some have even dabbled in dolby surround sound which is insane.. rather than just churn out endless copies of the same tune over and over again..

those tunes mentioned and many others are evolutions in what we as consumers want to hear, and some of us will take it and others will walk away from it, the artist in all of us though will always find enough inside to recognise what is good though despite personal tastes... and i guess them last 2 words are what matters most of all here.

as for the technical aspect of things, technology is always moving on and better and bigger things will fall into the hands of the mortal man/woman and there will always be something better around the corner on a technical level so even lagerfeldt could in a year or so's time go back to rc3 and do a technically better version .. making the original "definetive" version obselete.

such is the wonderful nature of music, this site and the community we are a part of :).

and how could you forget the man above me in that definitive list? he's the godfather of the term "unz" and has some truly polished remix's of his own
(except that bloody bubblebobble remix.. but that was his 1st one so we can let him off lol) technically his version of clystron would be a "definitive" aswell or hawkeye, breakdance... the list goes on.