Oldschool

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Oldschool

Post by Romeo Knight »

Browsing some old piles of photos, I found a nice one.
This is what my "production environment" looked like around 1992 when history was made :) :

left to right: Ensoniq EPS16+ Sampler, Atari Mega ST4, Zoom 9030 Multieffect Processor (for guitar sounds), Yamaha SY77 Synthesizer Workstation, Amiga 500 with Deluxe Sound-8bit Sampler, some old noname mixing desk, Roland alpha-Juno II Synthesizer (which was borrowed by Ifadeo AFAIR :) )
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

hehe, a little peice of history for us all.. AND a great little picture of darkseed up in the top there :D
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Those were the days eh? Where you spent a fortune on Hardware :)

Here is what I had around the same time.

- Alesis 16 Track Mixing Console
- Roland W-30 Sampling Workstation
- Pyramid DJ Mixer
- Roland MKS-30 (Planet S)
- Kawai XD-5 Drum Synth
- BOSS (Roland) SE-70 FX Processor
- Alesis MIDI Verb II
- Not Pictured but you can see the Mouse. Atari 1040STE
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Nice photo, Romeo!

Yamaha SY-77... I had one, too. Really nice synth, I just can't believe how noisy the delay and reverb effects were, though :) Listening to them today, I get the feeling that I'm using some kind of sound masking system for people with Tinnitus ;)

And still today I use the Yamaha SY-77 as my MIDI master keyboard, so both Armageddon Man and Thrust and all other Visa Röster tracks with music were played on that one! (after I got "the feeling" by playing it on my regular piano in the living room!) :D

Other than that, I got stuck with Noisetracker on my Amiga 500, for some strange reason (!). 8)
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I had an SY85 at that time. I remember how amazing I thought it was was being able to load in samples via the floppy drive (which took about 2 mins to load the full 1mb capacity) AND put them through the filters and effects!

WWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!

I sampled me a fair few C64 sounds into my SY85 I can tell ya, including a full c64 Hubbard drumkit! :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Oldschool!? :shock: ... can't seriously be so!? ... Now I've been hoarding hardware since 1996... guess I'm just not up for the soft-revolution :lol: ... Still building up the studio, adding MIDI cables, Audio cables and only GOD knows what other spaghetti horror scenarios :roll:

but them hardware synths sound damn cool if you ask me 8) (no no... I'm not starting a soft/hard discussion, mind you! :lol: )

Shall have a picture up some day...

Regards, Razmo... (who are still lurking, waiting for the right moment to strike :P )
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

razmo wrote:
Regards, Razmo... (who are still lurking, waiting for the right moment to strike :P )
Hoping this post from nowhere means the right time is now??? :D

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

He he! ... well, I wish it was so, but I'll have to strike the keys a few times first before anything strikes the scene :lol: ... but It'll happen... soon... true!! :oops:

In fact I'm building a MIDIBox SID synth at the moment to add some extra nostalgica into the remixes, but If it'll be finnished for the first releases will only the gods know right now :)

Regards, Razmo.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

It'll be nice to hear your music again raz :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Hi there Infamous! ... yeah well, I admit I've been quite absent for a long time :oops: ... but I have my reasons :)

On the other hand, I've amassed quite a lot of gear in the meantime, to get a more impressive toolbox to work with... especially a great deal of 80's hybrid digi/analog gear... it will definitely sound analog... and digital hehe! :P ... two more synths, and my rig is up at 16 hardware synths :? ... yes, I know it's crazy, but hey! life is crazy! 8)

Regards, Jess.
Tunnan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Oldschool

Post by Tunnan »

Wohoaaaa looks like my studio (now/2008) i have an
Ensoniq EPS, Tascam porta 244 and 3 more tape porta studios..

The best one is the korg with built in speekers and guitarrfx., CR-4

My mixer is An yamaha km802

sorry for the bump :duh:
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

yeah, i remember your old 'studio'... but i didn't know that i had a roland synth... i always thought i had only korg, yamaha and kawai stuff, btw. dr.future still had my kawai k1m synth.... ;-) hey eike did you remember that cheesy red 60er höfner strat that i borrow you...

cheers
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

Hmm, I've never had any advanced setups like you guys. I've had a Kawai K1, Ensoniq SQ1+32, Fostex XR-5, Atari 520ST (with oooold Cubase). I wish I could find an Ensoniq SQ1+32 again, I have a whole bunch of rescued sysex-dumps with sounds and songs that I made ~15 years ago that I'd like to revive somehow.

Nowadays I use my PC (with X-Fi platinum's ASIO capabilities), Studiologic SL161 midikeyboard, Fender Strat and a Peavey Bandit 112. Keeping it simple (mainly because it's so damn expensive to buy hardware of any kind these days).
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

ifadeo wrote:yeah, i remember your old 'studio'... but i didn't know that i had a roland synth... i always thought i had only korg, yamaha and kawai stuff, btw. dr.future still had my kawai k1m synth.... ;-) hey eike did you remember that cheesy red 60er höfner strat that i borrow you...

cheers
Mmmh, if it wasn't you I borrowed the synth from, who was it then? :?
And of course I remember your cheesy red Höfner Strat! Those were my first steps
on the guitar (I mean literally)
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

At the times i had, between the others, two Juno 106 but i would have killed to have an alpha juno :-)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/