Annual rant by your friend dhs...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Actually the thing about anonymous voting, i kinda agree with that.. it only takes a few seconds to write something in that little box, even if its just "didnt like it" or something similiar.

Of course its impossible now as the voting system isnt that old, and there are remixes with no comments at all that would suddenly fall off the chart (circa 2001) for no real reason.. so as good as the idea is on paper, it'd be a absolute nightmare for those involved heh.

Still I think after daxx's comments there about his own work we can all wrap this up now and go have a nice cup of tea/coffee or a full on fika.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

As said before in this thread: Votes and shouts are not reviews. What you really want is reviews. If you want reviews in shouts, you'll get less votes, but maybe that's OK for you.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

it is possible to change it...

if (!$comment) { echo "Please enter a comment or your vote can not been safed"; }

elseif ($comment) { echo "Thank you for your vote !"; }

thats all...
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Nah, doesnt sound like anyone wants that at all, It'd just be nice if you could see why they gave the vote in the 1st place. Not that it bothers many of us much where we are on a chart, were not being paid for it were not gaining any note (beyond our own peers) its a fan community afterall.

If we get a review (which since the voting system came along is very rare) then brilliant, its always nice to read a elongated opinion from someone else and does usually help (see tas's review of my creatures remix.. that spurred me on to put alot more effort and learn more), a small vote with a red face? nice job.. a green with an explanation? ok noted ill work on that area maybe if i can be bothered.. a red without a face?.. that a relative voting up again? i told them to stop that.. a green without a vote?.. my old music teacher?.. i thought i killed hi.. erm .. ignore that last bit.

Were all only human afterall and curiosity does get the better of us in the end dont it. I can see where a fair few of the artists on here are coming from when they say they dont like being downvoted and not knowing why, it doesnt bother me .. it does them, depends really who's in the majority.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I must admit, I don't care either way. But as infamous suggests, some musicians might disagree with you. If something brilliant comes along, I'll just email the remixer a "kudos!". So it really doesn't matter to me. But as said countless times in this thread already: shouts are not reviews, they weren't meant to be and probably shouldn't be. There already is a review mechanism.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

If you upload something at myspace.com, then you have a checkbox "allow users to rate this tune". On RKO, you don't have this choice. Maybe that's the problem. Your music's being judged over whether you like it or not.

@Jan+Markus: Maybe it would be good to have an option like this here as well!? Of course the flag would aready have to be settable in the RKO upload system and then transferred to remix64.com.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

In this world you can voice your oppinion if you like and whether others likes it or not.

However I agree that it could be a nice option, to appease the more sensitive remixers, or those that only want full feedback.
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

I find attempting to control what people say rather elitist. So what if people don't get the genre term right, calling it trance instead of dance..

Maybe the artist achieved his personal goal with the music but that doesn't mean people have to like it or even appreciate that.

I made SID remixes primarily for my own enjoyment but was thrilled to see they were well received, and a lot of other people shared my passion for those particular tunes. Personally I'm happy when people like or buy my stuff but I couldn't give a rat's ass when they don't (but no foul language please) - taste is not up for discussion.

On the other hand, true constructive criticism is great thing and can alert you to problems or potential problems you can address next time. But that's not something I'd associate with the purpose of the short shout comments.

EDIT: Looking through the shouts for some of my own tunes I did suprisingly find quite a few constructive shouts, or at least some kind of consensus on a few points of critcism. However, I'm truly satisfied with the remixes so I probably wouldn't change a thing no matter what. I say keep the voting system and the shouts.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

What stops a remixer from finding alternative publishing ways?

There is a good reason for the charts / voting / central hosting, and that is getting the most possible attention for the music, which has in overall a small audience. I don't understand the "I want to publish my music, but I don't want to know what they think of it, so I can pretend they love it." attitude. :)

There will be no such regulations / censorship at Remix64, however it's totally okay to find alternative hosting space for your remixes and publishing the links at the "releases" forum or your Remix64 member page.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

There's one other thing that wasn't mentioned yet (AFAIR):
Since the shouts have been invented (what was definitely a very good thing to do) almost noone likes to write reviews anymore.
I thinks there's nothing what can be done about this - but anyhow I think it's a little pity since this was the "real" feedback most of the times because people tended to engage much more with the piece of music before writing something. At least this is my impression.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

LMan wrote:I don't understand the "I want to publish my music, but I don't want to know what they think of it, so I can pretend they love it." attitude. :)
:worship: Nailed!
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Romeo Knight wrote:There's one other thing that wasn't mentioned yet (AFAIR):
Since the shouts have been invented (what was definitely a very good thing to do) almost noone likes to write reviews anymore.
I thinks there's nothing what can be done about this - but anyhow I think it's a little pity since this was the "real" feedback most of the times because people tended to engage much more with the piece of music before writing something. At least this is my impression.
Good point Romeo! But how to engage more people in writing reviews, that's the question... People use shouts to mention short-commings and praise, but it's not the place to get into details.

The best reviewers may be fellow musicians. I could pull of a few reviews myself, but it's perhaps more than a 5-minute job. :)
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

I see this is a neverending story....

Everybody vote on me! I want to be a president!

:shock:
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

LMan wrote:There is a good reason for the charts / voting / central hosting, and that is getting the most possible attention for the music, which has in overall a small audience. I don't understand the "I want to publish my music, but I don't want to know what they think of it, so I can pretend they love it." attitude. :)
I actually considered it a "I hereby agree that my tune's being rated and promise I won't blame the voters if they don't like my music because I had the chance to uncheck this option but didn't do it" checkbox. I don't think anyone whould ever do, BTW.

But hey, it's your platform, you make the rules.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Tron
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Tron »

Meh. I don't get what the fuss is all about.

Shouts, reviews, objective, subjective, pro or layman. Every comment is worth something IF you can put yourself into the comment writer's shoes. Just say: "Well, technically, it's not trance, but I understand what you mean. Thanx!"

I don't expect reviewers/shouters to be experts on music. I just want to know if ppl appreciate it. AND I want to know if they don't, for whatever Reason they have. A fellow remixer might say: "The mixing could be better and the lead could have some more presence in the stereo spectrum to better fit the genre.". A listener might say. "Cool tune dude. It unzez!". Another listener down-rates it because he feels there are too many unzy tunes lately.

I am pleased, of course, if one of my tunes gets a high avg. But I don't go bananas if someone rates it lower for a not-all-that-objective Reason. You see, I can do something with all three of these comments. Helps me build a common view on what the ppl think and I can choose to let these comments influence my next project. Or not! Coz in the end, you choose for yourself if you want to embrace the comments. And to be able to have that choice, you need comments of all levels. Yin and yang.

My pennyworth.
There are no problems, only solutions.