Why have I not done this before?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Why have I not done this before?

Post by Razmo »

... yeah why!? ... I just decided to sit down and try out working with harddisk recording instead of MIDI only... With this I mean, that I recorded my hardware synths with MIDI, but recorded them to audio track emidiately.... this way I can of course use all hardware as many times as I will because of overdubbing...

First I thought it would be too complicated to work this way compared to MIDI where you can edit every single note if you want to.... but by thinking a bit more about it, I never really changed much... maybe there was some advantages in HD recording for me I thoght and sat down, recording just for fun, and see how it went....

I worked for about an hour... and this is what I came up with:

Click here to watch The-Sureal-GhostnGoblins-Remix

It's nothing special really, but I'm amazed how fast I came to this much, and how incredibly creative this way of working really is.... no boundaries, just record again and again... no FX limits, no synth limits.... and the result is much more spontaneous...

I think I've found my new way of making music here... :) just had to share this with you... I'm still a little puzzled I came of with this type of music... it's not the type I'm used to making...
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I've been doing it since 1999.

But that's enough about my sex life ;-)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

+1

(Actually working with MIDI triggered synths only is crap IMO due to the sloppy timing the higher the work load at the synths gets.)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chrs: Say no more! :lol:

Romeo Knight:

Yes... MIDI is not the best.. after all it is a format from 1982, so...
Anyway, I've not really had problems with sloppy MIDI before... but that's probably because I've never overloaded a device with MIDI messages. I use my synths in single mode, and not multimode so that takes a great deal of the load off... also, I'm using a multi-MIDI interface, so every synth has had it's own MIDI I/O port... no daisy chaining.

I'd say, that where I'm experiencing better timing the most is on my new Machinedrum... and it's usualy the drums that is the first giveaway when it comes to sloppy MIDI timing.

So the timing is not really an issue here, but creativity is. For me it's very important that spontaneous idears can be written down fast and intuitively... if too much technical stuff is involved, and saving projects is a nightmare I grow bored of my work, resulting in lots of small refrains that never get finished, which is the BIGGEST problem for me.
Dafunk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dafunk »

@razmo: that's exactly my problem too. nowadays i started rendering everything which i think that wouldn't need modifications or other parts (like fx, addon stuff, background instruments, etc.) and it eases on my cpu. at first i thought that i'll lose my interest and inspiration due to constant rendering of stuff but i was wrong. after putting up the rendered part i kind of get new ideas, and the track progress faster because i don't have to think about which fxs/vsti should i use or not use to avoid overload of the cpu or ram...
i render everything in 32bits, so slowly but surely, project after project the space on my hdd is reducing significantly. should i render the sounds in 16bit?

@romeo knight: when you do your guitar thingie, do you record multiple takes of the same part/sequence and then choose some of them in the proj or just do retakes until it sounds perfect?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Dafunk: You're absolutely right. Now, for a long time I've stayed with the idear, that analog is best for mixing... and maybe it is to a certain extend, but I don't believe the benefit weigh up against the creative benefits of HD recording anymore... now I still like the sound of analog, but that is more or less the synth that does that part for me...

One of the things I like about the HD recording is, that everything turn into something uniform... Every track has the same capabilities, the same EQ, FX... everything... with MIDI and synths there is allways things to look out for with every instrument, and it slows me down... just that I don't have to think about what I use for what... many times I used my Waldorf Pulse for bass... but in doing that, I simultaneously ruled out all the cool leads I have for it, since it's allready used for bass... now I could do a whole piece with just my pulse if I wanted to... and especially effect sounds get on my work much sooner, since I just "stumble on something that sound good, and record it... no worries, no thoughts... just record and on with the next part... truly intuitive.

The benefits are just so huge, it's going to be my choice in the future.

1. Can use all synths multiple times
2. Can save everything in the same project
3. Much greater flexibility in the mixing process
4. Much more intuitive at creative to work with

Render to 16 bit? ... I would not do that... I'm working 48khz 64bit... the more bits, the more precision when mixing, and mastering... I'd rather get another HD with a large capacity, or for example save finnished tracks to DVD.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

and: 5. I can finaly buy older analog synths, as they can just be recorded live... no need for MIDI :P

hmmm... I'm not sure if this is good or bad :? ... bad for my wallet for sure! :lol:
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

razmo wrote:and: 5. I can finaly buy older analog synths, as they can just be recorded live... no need for MIDI :P

hmmm... I'm not sure if this is good or bad :? ... bad for my wallet for sure! :lol:
MORE analogue synths?!

Yeah, just what you need Razmo... :lol:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Tonka: :duh: you know!

Got my eyes on this fella:

Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Tasty! :D

Why don't they build new synths with wood? Probably some EEC directive about fire risks or something! :roll:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

To save the rain forest Tonka! .... to save the rain forest! :wink:
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Dafunk wrote:@romeo knight: when you do your guitar thingie, do you record multiple takes of the same part/sequence and then choose some of them in the proj or just do retakes until it sounds perfect?
No, the classic way, retaking until I like the take.
Funnily I don't like it anymore most of the times just the moment I listen to it, meaning doing more and more takes.
But I also edit a lot, especially on bass takes, due to the fact that I'm simply not a good bass player, or cut tracks together from a pool of different takes.
jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jgb »

Tonka wrote:Why don't they build new synths with wood? Probably some EEC directive about fire risks or something! :roll:
Actually I'd say that at least wooden endcheeks have been the latest fashion for new synths for a while now. At least the more analogue or analogue wannabe ones.

Have a look at http://www.moogmusic.com/ and http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/ if you don't believe me. :) Even the puny microKORG has them... http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=microKORG

Do not forget that _everyone_ needs more analogue synths! :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Why don't they build new synths with wood? Probably some EEC directive about fire risks or something!

Could it be because of the risc of termites? :P
Do not forget that _everyone_ needs more analogue synths!
:clap:

well... don't know if I need it... but I want it :drool:
The only thing I do not have yet, is a truly analog synth. I've got lots with analog filters, and even a few with digitaly controled analog oscillators as well... but none are truly analog the whole way through.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

jgb wrote:
Tonka wrote:Why don't they build new synths with wood? Probably some EEC directive about fire risks or something! :roll:
Actually I'd say that at least wooden endcheeks have been the latest fashion for new synths for a while now. At least the more analogue or analogue wannabe ones.

Have a look at http://www.moogmusic.com/ and http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/ if you don't believe me. :) Even the puny microKORG has them... http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=microKORG

Do not forget that _everyone_ needs more analogue synths! :)
YAY - a mini renaissance!!! Gimmie wooden synths dammit! Screw the rainforests!!! I want 250 year old oak on MY synths!

Oh, and white tiger fur trims with ivory dials... YUMMMY!!! :twisted: