Fatal server crash (and the state of the scene)

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Fatal server crash (and the state of the scene)

Post by LMan »

Hey all,

due to a severe server crash, Remix64 and the messageboard have reverted to a week-old status. Any forum posts, votes, shouts or any other submissions made to the site during the past week have been lost.

C64Audio.com is also affected, Chris is working on fixing it.

Sorry for any inconveniences this might cause.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Fatal server crash

Post by Chris Abbott »

So nobody got that post where I promised everyone free CDs?

D'oh.

Chris

Seriously: D'oH!
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Also comments to RKO-releases were lost. Sad :/
Experto credite!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's complicated, what happened, but I've spoken to the guy at the web hosting company and I think it was just plain bad luck that slashed through the levels of precaution (looks like a disk controller developed a fault and the backup drive in the machine was trashed too: it was the weekly offsite backup that was used to restore the data).

The bugger is that c64audio.com was excluded from the weekly backup on the grounds that it was too damn big for offsite, the code was static, and the site was being backed up to the internal hard drive anyway. So the latest copy I have is from just after I launched: which had yet to fix some problems. Grr...

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Chris Abbott wrote:It's complicated, what happened, but I've spoken to the guy at the web hosting company and I think it was just plain bad luck that slashed through the levels of precaution (looks like a disk controller developed a fault and the backup drive in the machine was trashed too: it was the weekly offsite backup that was used to restore the data).

The bugger is that c64audio.com was excluded from the weekly backup on the grounds that it was too damn big for offsite, the code was static, and the site was being backed up to the internal hard drive anyway. So the latest copy I have is from just after I launched: which had yet to fix some problems. Grr...

Chris
(and the daily backup had been disabled at my request since it was killing the performance of something that was at the time fairly critical).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

:cry: I knew something was wrong when I couldnt connect to Remix64, I've been a member for a very long time and I dont ever recall the site being down for so long.

I can feel you're pain and the devastating fact that data was lost, I was in a similar situation at a company I worked for, Raid system failed and the current TAPE Backups were useless because the Tape heads had failed, yet didnt report any errors during backup and verification. Luckily the previous weeks backups were good.

I was under alot of heat having to explain to my I.T. Manager and Company CEO why we didnt have current backup.

Now this situation got me thinking, I have not way of conacting anyone here to know what is going on... so my question is.

Do any of you use, Google Talk? or MSN Messenger??
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

My MSN is c64audio@hotmail.com, skype is c64audio. Both pretty easy to guess, I'd wager!

Chris
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

AAAAARGH!!! My precious posting count!!! I was above 600!!! :evil:
AAAAARGH!!! My newly made, and hard thought out comments on RKO shoutbox!!!
AAAAARGH!!! The "r" in "razmo" is back!!!!
Ha-ha!

Ha-ha!
I said that LMan's Remix 64 site sucks! Booooo!!!

alright, alright! I'll manage, but PLEASE put the "R" back in "Razmo" ... it looks stupid without (and NO! I'm not an azmo even though Omoroca's research seem to prove somethin... I guess... *grumble grumble*)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
smila
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by smila »

its my fault , i havnt posted here in ages then as soon as i do *boom*.

that post took me ages to write too :cry:
woop tis a remaker
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Thought something serious must have happened for both sites to be offline last night... ah well time to relisten to the recent tracks and repost the votes...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I think it was all the HAHA!'s that broke the server :duh: :eekout:
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

I think it was me, folks. I must've passed my bad karma over to Remix64.com :(

During the past month or so the following devices broke down in my house (most required replacements): washing machine, dishwasher, food disposer, water heater, my precious TiVo had a hard drive crash (that was painful!) (NOTE: it was a Western Digital HD), at work my Linux machine's HD crashed (yep, also a Western Digital), my cable modem started acting up, plus I also had a small accident with my car.

So, NATURALLY, after I decided to catch up on RKO and rated a whole bunch of new tunes with comments, Remix64's server crashed (and it also lost all my recent comments/ratings), probably at exactly the same time I've tried to look at the new Hülsbeck CD on C64Audio.com...

It was definitely me. Sorry, folks! :(
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Damn, LaLa, it WAS you!! :bash:

Anyways, Western Digital is mostly crap. They are noisy and they crash a lot. Get a Seagate (Barracuda) instead. Reliable and quiet.
Experto credite!
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Ha-ha!

Ha-ha!
Lala's house has gone gaga! Haha

Seriously, hope things are getting back to normal for the poor servers...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

LMan:

Since the crash, it seem that it's not possible to upload an avatar anymore, unless it's from a different server. Is this intentional, or something you've overlooked?

Also, 80*80 generaly look rather cramped in my opinion. I think it would look better, if the max size was the same as the "(=======C64)" graphics right above the avatar.

Another thing is, that I've seen other people here with bigger sized, and even animated avatars. How is this accomplished? ... I've made a larger 128 * 128 avatar on a seperate server, but the Remix64 site will not allow me anything bigger than 80 * 80, which to me seem weird when others have larger avatars.

Could you shed some light on the subject? ... Prlrlrlrlrlrleeeeeeeease? :)

I see that you rank graphics is 119 pixels wide... if you take a digital camera and resize t to 120 pixels on the X axis, and have a constrained scaling, the Y axis will be 160 pixels, which to me is a reasonable portrait format, and would make it possible to show more than just a severed head... and the women could show more as well :P

ooops!... think I managed to off-topic this one... but at least I'm good at it :blush:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).