"disease" has struck again...

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

"disease" has struck again...

Post by Razmo »

... yes... oh dear! ... Gear disease struck again, but I NEEDED some analog ACID BASSLINE equipment for some TB-303 emulation (I'm not that sick, I'll buy the real thing! :? )

Found this one for just $170:

Novation Super Bass Station Rack... Analog acid beast with analog chorus and distortion build in... can't do any better for that price :) ... need this beast for some upcomming hard-style techno remixes, so watch out! ... Hubbard's Nightmare on the way! (I guess...) :mrgreen:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: "disease" has struck again...

Post by jgb »

Put yourself on the waiting list for the x0xb0x instead is my recommendation. :)

http://ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

Ok, you have to build it yourself (or hire a buddy to do it), but if you want ACID this is the best clone this far. But then, you could get the real thing too... ;) A quick track that I made yesterday: http://c64.org/~jgb/jgb-uw_909_har_landat.mp3 <

Finally transferred some 909-samples (from my own 909 before I sold it) to the Machinedrum UW, synced up the 303 against it, put the 303 through some compression and distorsion and finally added delay and spring reverb from the RE-201. :)

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

JGB:

Nice aciiidy :D ... love that tb sound... and yes, I've seen the x0b0x thing before... and I've considdered it, but I don't like the idear of being "worthy" to be on their list... I find it a bit snobby actually... there are so many different clones out there, and none does it properly... but all I want is squelchy acidlines... not squelchy acid 303 lines :wink: ... everybody needs a 303, fat boy slim say... I just need the money to pay for it also :lol:

Also I find that the bassstation has more to offer... it's warm and fat if I want it to be, and screaming like a demon if that's what I want... just got it home today, and I'm really impressed with it. I've read a tip somewhere, that if you feedback the output to the filter input of this machine, you should really be peeling wallpaper of the walls with this thing... just have to try this... :mrgreen:

Ahh.. so you've got the UW version... I'd have liked that too, but the one I found used happened to be at a very nice price and without the UW... I may upgrade it someday, but right now the UW option is too expensive compared to what you get... especially considdered I can allways use my E5000 sampler... but surely would be nice to have that UW... just... because! :P

Got to put up some demo of the Bassstation on feedback later :duh:
jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jgb »

Hmm... "being worthy"? In what way? I just sent an email and put myself on the waiting list. No elitism there as far as I can see.

If you want a comparison between the clones, have a look at http://www.acidvoice.com/ where you can have a listen to the real thing and ten clones. The x0xb0x is so close to being spot on that I cannot hear the difference... plus that the OS for it goes way beyond what a real 303 can offer. Ok, you can probably do the same stuff in your normal sequencer too, but at least for me the different ways of interacting with the machines results in different music depending on which machine I use. Especially true when it comes to sequencing.

Yep, I've got the UW and totally agree that it is very pricey. Samplers are cheap these days... Despite that, you get a sampler that is integrated with the machinedrum, parameter locks and everything. Inspirational! :)

Now, go fix that demo of the basstation!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Well... yes maybe it's just a waitinglist... I just recall that when I read about it, it sounded more like a group of enthusiasts that wanted to satisfy their own demand first, and letting others wait... but I might look at it some day :)

About that homepage for comparison; that's the exact site I found out about the x0x0x0x0x (whatever) :wink: ... They do not however comment on WHAT distortion stompbox they used in the demos... but I guess we're dealing with a RAT pedal which seem to be common use with the 303...

I agree with the added flexibility of having the UW upgrade with samples... and that's also why i might upgrade some day... but other matters are pressing harder :)

Bassstation demo on the drawingtable! 8)
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

That x0xb0x looks like it's going to take a couple of hours of fiddly soldering and swearing to get going.
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Scyphe wrote:That x0xb0x looks like it's going to take a couple of hours of fiddly soldering and swearing to get going.
And it will part you're wallet out of $330 + Shipping and Handling.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

ANX: not to mention that the MB-FM has cost me about the same! ... I had to F****** buy the materials from three different foreign countries to get all that I needed! ... The freight cost was more than the components all together!!! :evil:

Components from MOUSER in the UK, Memorystick PCB from Germany and the rest from Smash TV also from england... freight and currency translation fees... phew!!! EXPENSIVE!

anyways, I'm not getting the xoxoxoxobox thingie (it's too complicated to write... sorry!), as I've got no more free space in my mixer... I've reached the end! :weep: ... I'd have to get another Emagic MIDI interface and an expander for my mixer to continue my gearfrenzy :)

EDIT: ahh, not totaly true... I'm still going to get me another FX processor, a vocoder and a sub woofer... but I guess that's about it... maybe also a ProCo Deucetone distortion pedal... now I'll see about that 8)

Also, I really want to exchange two of my keyboard synths with rack-versions... The ESQ-1 I'd like to exchange for the ESQ-M, and the KORG DSS-1 keyboard with the EX-8000 (which is sort of the same thing, but a HELL of a lot smaller!!!)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'm glad you have the money.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris: well... actually I'm living on bread and water to pay for all this stuff... and the only reason I can do that is, that I'm single... I have no one else to account for, and thus I can choose to live how I want to... and surely I do miss out on a lot of other things because of that... but my music IS my life, my identity... :)

And I have to add, that much of what I buy today, I buy used... and in 75% of the time for the money I get from selling other equipment... so don't get the impression that I'm wealthy... cause I'm not.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote: Components from MOUSER in the UK, Memorystick PCB from Germany and the rest from Smash TV also from england... freight and currency translation fees... phew!!! EXPENSIVE!
I paid $40 for the Mobo/Control interface Mobo.. and guess how much the Customs Fees and Dutys were when it arrived to Canada?? $49.

That is why I have found someone else locally who wants to build a MB-6582 so we are sharing our orders, and splitting the costs.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X wrote:
Razmo wrote: Components from MOUSER in the UK, Memorystick PCB from Germany and the rest from Smash TV also from england... freight and currency translation fees... phew!!! EXPENSIVE!
I paid $40 for the Mobo/Control interface Mobo.. and guess how much the Customs Fees and Dutys were when it arrived to Canada?? $49.

That is why I have found someone else locally who wants to build a MB-6582 so we are sharing our orders, and splitting the costs.
That's a good idear ANX! ... but actualy money is not a big matter for me (in the way, that money does not mean that much to me)... if I got what is needed to spend to get what I want... I do... and a had the money, and I want that FM synth! :lol:

FM synthesis open up a lot of potential for wild and crazy synthetic sound FX, which is exactly what I'm missing... something to do wobbly and crazy FX like Jarre's etc.. .. not some static samples, but real synthesis that allow me to vary the FX output with controllers, so that my music can be dynamic and evolving... that's what I want...

Another thing with the FM synth is, that it has wavetables just like the SID... the first ever such thing to see the light of day outside the SID and C64. Given the nature of weirdness by FM'ing, theese wavetables should be able to create many weird and wonderful sequences by modulating the frequency multiplier with the wavetable... many might think this synth is just a basic FM synth, but it has some points...
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

I should set up a webpage selling these kits pre-built. It'd cost people a lot more but at least I'd get all the parts and build the stuff for them. On the other hand, spending hours and hours of soldering and problemsolving.. naaah!
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."