Listen to your own tunes?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
kjetiln
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Listen to your own tunes?

Post by kjetiln »

I happen to listen to my own work more than anything.. I wonder if it's something wrong with me, or if I just have a very limited taste of music, lol.

So just out of curiosity, how many times do you listen to your own tunes after they are completed? :)
Like all the time, once a day, once a week, when it's on Slayradio, never, etc.....
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Listen to your own tunes?

Post by trace »

When I felt like I made a great remix or original I can listen to it for a few weeks in my mp3 player at work before I get "tired" of it :P LOL
I also have started to listen alot to my old sid/mod/xm music, the wierd thing is that some of the old stuff sounds better than some of my tracks today :P maybe because I was limited of channels and sounds back then :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

I only listen to my old stuff when I'm in a nostalgic mood or when I'm looking for ideas to work on.
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

I'd say if you dont like your own music, thats not normal, since you (should) make what's in your opinion a good song.
I don't think mine are especially good, but I listen to whatever is my latest few songs.
Check out my website.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I listen to stuff I'm working on relentlessly (probably up to 10 - 20 times per day on an MP3 player or in the car), making notes of any lyrics or musical ideas I have that happen to pop into my head.

I never listen to my finished stuff though, unless it's by accident or part of a compilation CD. I guess I've just heard it too many times by the time it's finished!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I'm constantly creating new tunes in my head, with cool leads and drum sounds, but sadly its usually when I'm on the road driving, when I get home I usually forget to record anything.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Analog-X64 wrote:I'm constantly creating new tunes in my head, with cool leads and drum sounds, but sadly its usually when I'm on the road driving, when I get home I usually forget to record anything.
Me too, but my problem is I'm not capable of putting them into life. Everything was so much easier on the C-64 :)
Experto credite!
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Hell, that's one of the reasons I never release any music. I listen myself tired of them in Beta!
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

k_rostoen wrote: Me too, but my problem is I'm not capable of putting them into life. Everything was so much easier on the C-64 :)
So use a C64 then - I do! :D
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Analog-X64 wrote:I'm constantly creating new tunes in my head, with cool leads and drum sounds, but sadly its usually when I'm on the road driving, when I get home I usually forget to record anything.
I just hum basslines, sing melodies and make (crap) human beatbox sounds into my MP3 player if I'm on the road! :lol: It's crude, but it does the job. I get a lot of good idea's when I'm driving.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

BTT: I really dislike my own tracks after i "finished" them. (dont think i ever finished a track... :wink: )

Prolly i heard my tracks too often... :)
Ic3m4n
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ic3m4n »

that topic made me thinking...so i checked my iTunes-Counter...and yes :shock: i also listen to my tracks very often. :help: Can´t explain it...maybe i am just a mad :duh: guy :hysterical: that loves smilies :lol:

So kjetiln, i think there is nothing wrong about you :P if you listen to your tunes, than maybe you just made songs that you (personally) like to listen very much. you´re a lucky guy, that this is also the kind of music a lot of others like to listen too.

So if you think again that there is something wrong with you, remember that here is a guy that is much worser :bash:

Cheers :cheers:
kjetiln
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by kjetiln »

Lol, Ic3m4n, thank you :)

It's great to read everyone's thoughts about this, hehe :)
peter w
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by peter w »

In the beginning when I didn't polish my tracks that much I could stand them a bit longer but nowadays I put much more time into my tracks and get to hear them way too many times. So they are not very interesting to me anymore. But I go back to them to see what I could have done better or how to improve myself. They reveal a lot after some time. So they are very usefull for getting new ideas, feedback and such. But I can't say that I listen to my music in that sense, only for creating purposes. Cheers! :cheers:
64 reasons to live... 30.000 SiD's to remix...
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

Too a degree I agree with Peter W....
We all know that when we are writing the tracks we listen to them over & over, making sure the sound is right,
the level is right, there's enough effect and that the level's are right, and so on etc.....
Good example was fron last years B.I.T 2007 when I did a live set...

I worked over time to finish the tracks / cd for this event and by the time I played them live I got a bit bored of them...
But as Peter states above, you go back and start to think where you could of made the track better and in
doing so you learn more and hopefully become better for it....

This is what I have done for this years event in Sweden.... but am not bored of the new remixes just yet :D

Paul