Game music

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Wavedancer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Game music

Post by Wavedancer »

Hi there,

have you ever played a game just because its music? For example Final Fantasy 7 is a great game for me, but what Nobuo Uematsu did was amazing in my opinion. Always in the battle sequence I whistled a new melody or played with my voice a new one to it.
Another one is an older one ... Kingdoms of England II: Vikings on Amiga, the title theme was so beautiful that the game was really disappointing.
I don't mean only classic games on C64 or Amiga.
kjetiln
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Game music

Post by kjetiln »

Settlers, Lost Patrol and Lotus III on the Amiga.
Of course all of these games were great neverheless, but I guess I wouldn't have played them as much if it wasn't for the great soundtracks!

I don't play so many games anymore, but both Civilization 4 and Titan Quest got me stuck on the titlescreen, and I've loaded up the games just to listen to the great title tracks :)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

aye final fantasy 7 and 8 sold me on their soundtracks too.. truly stunning work and it fits so well, the orchestral snippet used as they drop the pizza on the slums is so cool.. and aeris's music when she dies.. god..damn..it.

rollcage was great to listen too, had my ps plugged into my stereo, quite the sonic experience that, and ofc wipeout which started off the whole commercial soundtrack craze

ico is another one.. love the soundtrack and the use of sound in that game.
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Yup, i did that too, with Zoids and One man and his Droid on the C64. And i agree about the music from FF7 and 8, and also from the SNES Final Fantasies ( FF6 anyone ). Even though i never had a SNES, i do sometimes fire an emu to listen to those ( or use SPC files ). BTW, if you like the music from FF7, then listen to the soundtrack of FF7:Advent Children. The version of J.E.N.O.V.A. gives me shivers along my spine !
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
rogerxy
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by rogerxy »

The first game that come up in my mind is the Turrican-games. I don't really like thoose kind of games, a little to difficult etc. But the music makes me play them again and again and again. Hülsbeck really created magic there
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Banjo Kazooie. It could be my nostalgia acting up, though.

I also listen to the NFS:III soundtrack done by (among others) Rom Di Prisco.
Check out my website.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

Unreal on amiga... :cheers:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Several on the C64 did I play... just for the music :lol:

Sometimes because I HAD to, to be able to rip the music code for demo's.
Back then you were sure to be hated if you ripped some music from another groups demo's, even if it was again ripped from a game.

Sometimes games was on multiple floppy disks, so I had to play the game and wait for the coorect tune to be in memory to rip it... this was the case with Dragons Lair with music by Hubbard.

Other tunes played just to hear the music was International karate... just NOT playing would never allow you to hear the tune untill the fast passage start, so you had to play the darn thing to hear it... and thus I became quite good at this game :lol:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

At first I would load games for the music, but after a while waiting 20mins for Loading from TAPE thing, got frustrating and annoying. So I went down the slippery slop of ripping tunes and player routines.

So I had a collection of tunes that I ripped with their Player. So it was a matter of loading the the tune with ",8,1" since it wasnt a program anymore and "SYS"ing the proper address location.

Rambo, Commando, Arkanoid were some that I can remember ripping.

Later on there were many nicely done music compilations. Like Rob Hubbard collections etc..

I had a lot of fun, poking around the C64's 8-Bit memory addressing, the Amiga was a bit harder and needed some additional tools other than a Monitor or Disassembler.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Tron
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Tron »

Of course there are a lot of gr8 game tracks out there. But good enuf music to play a shitty game for?
Well, Crazy Comets was definitely one of them. The game didn't captivate me all that much, but the music...

Tron
There are no problems, only solutions.
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

Zoids, One man and his Droid, Phantoms, Monty (both of em) Rambo, Elite etc etc etc (C64)
Settlers, Laser Squad, Another World, Flashback etc etc etc (Amiga)
Doom, Soul Caliber, Battle Arena Toshinden, some of the tunes in Ridge Racer (PS)
Unreal Tourny, Deus Ex, Homeworld etc etc (PC)

plus loads of others :D
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Zoids, Phantoms of the Asteroid, Rambo spring to mind.

I also love like the music in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSone) and Braid (Xbox LIVE).
Astralia
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Astralia »

Wings Of Death!!! wich is also happens to be a fairly good game...but mainly for the music.
SkyMarshall Arts
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by SkyMarshall Arts »

Lost Patrol for sure ... that was purely because of the atmospheric music.
Also Test Drive had the same effect ...
God created man
Man created machine
Machine created music

My Website | Discord | Spotify | YouTube | Remix64
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I used to load Super Huey just to hear the intro music. I disliked the game itself. :mrgreen: