SID Player & Songs in Line 6 gear

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Grey242

SID Player & Songs in Line 6 gear

Post by Grey242 »

Apologies if this has been posted before...... surely a lawsuit waiting to happen ?

http://www.musicgeardaily.com/line6-spi ... ster-eggs/
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: SID Player & Songs in Line 6 gear

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, it's only an easter egg, but it still kind of managed to piss off at least one composer.

Lawsuit? Well, when people commit infringement, generally there has to be proven some monetary damage for it to be worthwhile paying the lawyers or doing the paperwork. In this case even the hardest bitten SID fans would find it difficult to say that people were buying the gear just for the tunes. So any lawsuit would probably not be worth bringing, from a practical point of view, justified though it may be from a theoretical perspective. That's just how it operates.

You'd be surprised at what the major record labels actually let people get away with because it's too expensive to bring lawsuits against them, or too much of a grey area when you get down to the nitty gritty. Not for things like, obviously, distributing their tracks for free. That has a major financial implication for them so they'll fight tooth and nail, but, say, a new track featuring samples of their stuff released to a 1000 person audience? They just wouldn't bother (though they would if it got big).

It's all about the money really. So, nothing new there...

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

At least he gave some credits in that article... that's more than to expect after all the other 'incidents'...
All is lost.
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

Who has the rights of these musics by the way? The composers or an organization?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

No harm is done I think, in fact it's a nice tribute, isn't it? All SID tunes are properly credited, no profit is made of it either. Might as well go and take legal action against HVSC.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Moad'Dib wrote:Who has the rights of these musics by the way? The composers or an organization?
Depends on the circumstances. For most of HVSC it's the composers, for some it's the original software companies, and for some it's other publishing companies. If the publisher belongs to a copyright/collection agency then it's under the effective control of them.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

LMan wrote:No harm is done I think, in fact it's a nice tribute, isn't it? All SID tunes are properly credited, no profit is made of it either. Might as well go and take legal action against HVSC.
I must absolutely agree with LMan. I think this coder individual didn't want to make any money with this act, but it was a tribute action. :worship:

But on the other hand if i will buy an amplifier for my electric guitar it will probably a Line 6... :lol: