New C64 Remake: The Detective

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

New C64 Remake: The Detective

Post by spacefractal »

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkRbqV8txdc

London, 1974. You are a famous Scotland Yard Detective who must solve the murder of the rich aristocrat Angus McFungus, who’s body has been discovered at his home at 427 Park Lane. Arriving at the residence you soon discover that this will not be a simple open and shut case and will take all your finely honed detective skills to solve. Can you put your finger on the killer?

This is a remake of the 1986 C64 game by Sam Monthorpe for the Nintendo DS. Charcters were created by Paul Jay and the plot was cunningly devised by the Magnificent Seven

Free (Yes its freeware) Game Link:
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=tdg

Personly Note (I was the musican of this game):
* Im have done music of this game and contain 3 tunes and a jingles (2 ingame tunes unlike the original).
* Soner or later I upload the MP3 version of this tune before it was turned into a XM tune as the game use.
* There is no remix of this tune at remix64, so I think I should upload the studio version of it, before I changed it to XM format.
* Happy Birthday HeadKaze (which is the main programmer of this remake).
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: New C64 Remake: The Detective

Post by tomsk »

Detective downloaded fine, but Manic Miner LL appears corrupt (both versions). This is the error I get when just trying to unzip the file, not actually add the .nds file to my ds.

ANy ideas?

! Seek error in the file C:\Documents and Settings\Barry\My Documents\Downloads\ManicMinerLL.zip
! An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

Cheers

Tomsk
Last edited by tomsk on 20/12/2009 - 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Cool, I did like this game on the C64 but I never did get around to completing it. I'll check it out.
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

tomsk wrote:Detective downloaded fine, but Manic Miner LL appears corrupt (both versions). This is the error I get when just trying to unzip the file, not actually add the .nds file to my ds.

ANy ideas?

! Seek error in the file C:\Documents and Settings\Barry\My Documents\Downloads\ManicMinerLL.zip
! An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

Cheers

Tomsk
using power archiever you can still unzip it and the game seen works fine here after I just tested it. I do have reported this issue to the guy, thanks for reporting it.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Look forward to trying this out!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

using power archiever you can still unzip it and the game seen works fine here after I just tested it. I do have reported this issue to the guy, thanks for reporting it.
Well, I still get errors, but this time it will allow me to unzip and get the file working, thanks for the tip off....by the way, it's really hard - but I'm enjoying the challenge! Great stuff
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

First MMLL level is pretty hard until you got used bt the controls, then its would been pretty easy. There is a youtube preview video that show how to complete it. You can stop Willy to fall down on the roff by press the other way to left the top witch to past and then jump. Its here most have problems.

For the problem, Flash (the original C64 programmer of Warhawk) did not have that download problem roblem, but I guess Headkaze (which have created very most of the game on this new detective game) reupload this soon, but dipite the crc error, the game does works fine. MMLL was just updated to v1.05 final and I guess it hte lastest update that caused it.

I hope you enjoy all 3 games (Warhawk DS is the last one) we have created. MMLL used XM (37 XM songs, includning one unused), TDG used one XM, but have 4 subsongs in and Warhawk used a ADPCM mono stream. Nice to work with XM again and was fun to do.

Howover The Detective is very much diffecent, even I created the music, I have still not completed the story yet. So most bug report was small errors I found around the building.

(removed a double post)
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Very cool, love retro remakes of C64 games. :)
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Being a fan of whodunnit games I've installed this on my CycloDS card. Looks like a solid remake - hopefully I'll progress further than on the C64 version. :)

How about taking on Murder On The Mississippi for your next project? And speaking of people getting offed on riverboats or in mansions, was Murder ever released for the C64? I recall reading a review in Zzap!64 but I never saw the game anywhere.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

the next game is not a remake of any kind, and is not annonced yet, its still too early.

These these kind of game would make sense, even Im was was just behind the music, but thanks for the comment :D.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Being a fan of whodunnit games I've installed this on my CycloDS card. Looks like a solid remake - hopefully I'll progress further than on the C64 version. :)

How about taking on Murder On The Mississippi for your next project? And speaking of people getting offed on riverboats or in mansions, was Murder ever released for the C64? I recall reading a review in Zzap!64 but I never saw the game anywhere.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap

Jan, Games That Weren't are still trying to track down Murder

http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/m/Review_Murder.php
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
p_a_

Post by p_a_ »

Hi there, I'm Mark.

Do any of you guys have contact with the original Detective Game creator, Sam Monthorpe? I would like to write an article for the Polish C-64 magazine about this magnificent game.
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

No, as I remember, HeadKaze could not trackdown the original programmer, but he do of course got full credit in the game remake. I think you should ask this in the www.greatflash.co.uk forum, where the game officiel forum is.
p_a_

Post by p_a_ »

Thanks for this piece of advice :)