Help wanted. Wikipedia troll needs discipline...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Help wanted. Wikipedia troll needs discipline...

Post by Analog-X64 »

Ok I got some feedback when asked for some help.

Suggestion 1:
Since the band has a website, they should post their thoughts about the situation front and center.

Suggestion 2:
Something to consider.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... ion_policy ...for any current or future wiki page.

Suggestion 3:
Talk to the press and or other online news media.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

beyond wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:>
If they're in the newspaper or in iTunes, then they're of note, regardless of quality.
Chris
I really can't be bothered with reading all their intertwined scwap guideline pages. If I'd insert a note or ref about PPOT material being available on Amazon or iTunes it would be instant suicide; probably the fastest way to the wikipedia editor guillotine festival, I guess.
"We're on iTunes"
"Oh, OK, instant deletion then."

Simply not logical. It stands to reason that being on iTunes can't possibly be "negative evidence" making your case worse, since so many other artists who are on Wikipedia are in iTunes, and it doesn't count against them.

Your call though, I'm only a concerned citizen.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

There is a general policy about only adding unbiased material to Wikipedia. When you add material about your own band, for instance, you should be very carefull about this, COI = Conflict of Interest. If I add info like "We're on iTunes" it could be considered as something to gain from commercially, ie sudden death.

If someone else adds this info, it's something different. Not that I will encourage anyone to do that, because then I could encourage canvassing, which there also is a wp rule against. There should be any doubt that people should only engage in this debate if they feel that they should. Not because the issue at hand in the long run c/would make it easy to remove indie bands per precedence.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I see... yes, missed that completely.

Chris
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Well I've said my bit on it now, and will bow out of the discussion. There's no point in debating it further, the only thing we can do is keep adding citations.

But seeing as it's this kind of activity I'm sponsering, I've definitely made my last Wikipedia donation. This whole thing has been a real eye opener about the inner workings of the free encyclopedia. It really is like learning a magic trick, isn't it? When you find out the truth about how it works, the fun is gone. Or like religion - as soon as the fanatics get hold of it, it all goes askew. The bigger cause has been lost to smug, holier-than-though "regelryttare".

I'm genuinely disappointed.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

Retro Gamer issue no 4 has a report about the BIT events. PRESS PLAY ON TAPE is mentioned two times, once by one Chris Abbott who claims that PRESS PLAY ON TAPE along with SID 80's are headlining the event for the year of the issue. This is on pages 32 and 34.
Last edited by Thunderer on 13/08/2010 - 4:09, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

Finally, Retro Gamer Issue 9, page 72. Almost a half page recap of PPOT's concert at BIT live 2004. Page 73 has two pictures of PRESS PLAY ON TAPE's concert. Therefore, this is not only a mere mention, but a almost a full review of the concert. Cheers.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Thunderer wrote:Finally, Retro Gamer Issue 9, page 72. Almost a half page recap of PPOT's concert at BIT live 2004. Page 73 has two pictures of PRESS PLAY ON TAPE's concert. Therefore, this is not only a mere mention, but a almost a full review of the concert. Cheers.
Who wrote it, and which year was it published? Need that info to add it to the citations - it's best to be meticulous about this, lest they claim we made it up.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: Retro Gamer article

Post by Waz »

As far as I remember, I don't have either issue 4 or issue 9 or I'd have scanned them in.

Issue 4's article has been linked to earlier in this thread.

It's well worth scanning issue 9 and providing a suitable citation. Retro Gamer magazine does have its own wiki article, incidentally. I think when quoting from a magazine it may be best to quote the source including their ISSN number (which I think is 1742-3155) as well as the page references.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any substantial references to the band in any recent issues that I have - only very brief mentions of the BIT Live DVD in the Ben Daglish interview recently.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

The following paper on The Past as the Future? Nostalgia and Retrogaming in Digital Culture by Jaakko Suominen from the
Department of Digital Culture, School of Cultural Production and Landscape Studies, University of Turku

http://users.utu.fi/jaasuo/suominen-dac2007-paper.pdf

analyses PRESS PLAY ON TAPE's film clip of Comic Bakery. Again not just a mere mention but a full description of the film clip under Chapter 4.1 Gaming Nostalgia in Music Videos (pp 5 and 6) and a brief analysis of the significance of the video.

Now I don't exactly know who Mr. Suominen is. Whether he is a University Professor (probably) or a student but according to his site he has a number of papers credited to his name.

EDIT: Wow this is getting better and better.
Jaakko Suominen is Doctor of Philosophy, Professor of Digital Culture and Director of the School of Cultural Production and Landscape Studies at the University of Turku, Finland. Suominen is an author of two monographs on the cultural history of computing. He has co-edited five academic books and written about 40 articles. In his studies Suominen has concentrated on the cultural history of information technology and the history of media and technology. Lately, Suominen has released a webblog book (in Finnish, http://jaasuo.wordpress.com/tietokoneen-takapuoli/) focusing on several cultural historical aspects of digitalisation such as retro-gaming, history of computer love and remediation. Suominen works in a multi-disciplinary academic community at the Pori University Consortium, which consists of
units of five different universities. Suominen has led many co-operative projects with companies as well as with municipal bodies and non-profit organizations on different aspects of digital culture.
http://www.ifz.tugraz.at/index_en.php/a ... /1599/1/69

This and the Retro Gamer article above just about wraps up the notability debate.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Thunderer: Thanks for that link which was completely unknown to me. And very interesting reading too. Didn't know we'd be subject to an analysis in a paper written by a professor :)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I shall give it a read and see to it that it gets put you use in improving the article (or would that be canvassing, andy?).
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Do you think we should have a new forum rank of "Notable"? :)
Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

http://alive.atari.org/alive6/gmc64arg.php

Review of Loading, Ready, Run.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I wrote the article in issue 9 of RG...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live