Sorry for my bad english

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Sorry for my bad english

Post by LMan »

I'm sure you have noticed in one forum or the other on the interwebs, that often people introduce themselves with an apology for their bad english. And most of the time, it is a German. So is this a German thing and why? :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Sorry for my bad english

Post by Chris Abbott »

Your english suxxxors, you shud apologeyes.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

When I was 13/14 and on a camping holiday with my family in England, we met lots of kids from other European countries. And both the Dutch and the Austrian kids were speaking very good English.

(Although there was a very discussion about the ZZAP! review of Last Ninja 2, and why the first one should have been called the penultimate ninja...)
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

In my experience on the net, it's the Americans who should apologise for their bad English. ;)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Dumper wrote:In my experience on the net, it's the Americans who should apologise for their bad English.
True! :D

I'd say it's a German and Italian phenomenon. I think people in a lot of other nations aren't as brave in trying their "language wings" as Germans and Italians. For example, French people usually seem to have a very high level of English before even trying to post on an all English forum. (I don't mean to dis the French, or accuse them of cowardes. Just wanted to make that clear, as I have a history of upsetting French people. I could just as easily have used Spaniards as an example.)

Scandinavians are usually very good at English - and also we never apologise for how we do things, because we Scandinavians always do things ther right way, otherwise we'd do it some other way. Fact.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

Makke wrote:because we Scandinavians always do things ther right way, otherwise we'd do it some other way. Fact.
Yep, if it doesn't fit through the door we'll just fit it through the window :wink:
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

LMan wrote:I'm sure you have noticed in one forum or the other on the interwebs, that often people introduce themselves with an apology for their bad english. And most of the time, it is a German. So is this a German thing and why? :)
This is a personal observation over many years. I found a greater reluctance to speak or write English in people that reside in countries where foreign TV is being dubbed rather then subtitled. There appears to be a higher degree of insecurity when said people have to speak English when they're not exposed to the language, dubbing prevents that. The apologetic tendency is being fueled by insecurities.

So just start subtitling, will ye? :wink:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

My main language is Armenian, however growing up in Greece, I also Spoke and wrote Greek as well. Having moved to Canada, I learned English fairly quicky, but I dont apolgeyes for my pselling mistakes and baad grammar.

I speek a da engleesha bery good, as a mutter off fooct, my engreeesh emprooves over time.

Dis is a chair, Dis is a table, Open the vindow, clsoe da doro.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

No excuses... no regret... I got it certified in written form that I am really bad at English. I just tend to warn people beforehand that an onslaught of gibberish is about to hit the fan. Or so.
Wait, didn't I say sorry for my English when I joined this forum? Doh!

Sleep you very well on your klapprig bettgestell...
All is lost.
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

I dönt apologys. I don`t brauche das ! My english is gut !
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

Heh :)

I have noticed that here and there, too. Funny fact, but most of time those folks apologise whose English is just alright. Not academic, but alright. No deadly attributes that they think they have... :)

In my opinion, I start apologising for my bad English when pu... er... kitties start singing :D

Obviously, my English suxxx as I'm not a native speaker and never lived there so I could never build an instinct-grade skill of that. Anyway, probably my English is several thousands percents better than other folks' Hungarian and my bad English is the sole reason that we can even communicate - and no one ever started apologising for his/her bad Hungarian so far who contacted me and that's right. So, we cool, I assume ;)
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

NecroPolo wrote:Heh :)
Obviously, my English suxxx as I'm not a native speaker and never lived there so I could never build an instinct-grade skill of that.
Your English is actually very, very good, you even have a good grasp of several phrases and language puns that people not living in English environments usually don't get. And your English is several thousands percent better than the English of many Hungarians I know.

Having said that, I tend to agree with Marcel: countries where English (Hollywood) movies are dubbed seem to have a much higher percentage of poor English speakers versus countries where movies are subtitled. Hungary is a prime example: most everything gets dubbed there, and - perhaps not coincidentally - the country has a large percentage of people who do not speak English at all, and those who do tend to speak it poorly: bad pronunciation, poor grammar, etc.

And you are definitely the exception, Necropolo. :)
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
NecroPolo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by NecroPolo »

It's nice to say that ;)

I just had good teachers I assume, like missus who is an awesome language teacher herself. I really admire her because she perfected our common profession and prepared so many students for successful language exams, all types and levels. In general, the number of folks who use quite decent English is quickly raising here.

After getting the degree I totally left language teaching and started to work in a pretty different field so most of the grammar theory (and practice...), the natural use of language and spec vocab faded away. That's why I 'suxxx', I can use much less than I was trained for ;)

Probably my roadblock-level Engish kept developing during the years but considering speaking I'm rather rusty.
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Talking English is quite an embarrassment for me... and to think of that I'm actually responsible for the translation of our webshops... :argh:
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

See Vosla, that's what I mean. Why? :)