I cant believe it taken this long ..

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

I cant believe it taken this long ..

Post by Steve B »

.. but i have finaly subscribed to 2000AD and Judge Dredd the Megazine.
i started reading at around prog 270 and fell away about 5 years ago.
I started buying 2000 AD on and off about 10 months ago, but the Megazine isn't in most shops.
It hit me not long ago ..... I am a Dredd addict.
It was wrong not reading it.
It's like S.I.D ... you can only go without for so long.
Then you feel ... 'wrong' ... You feel something's missing.
I await to be whole again .....
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: I cant believe it taken this long ..

Post by C64GLeN »

I started picking up and reading comics books in 2006 after a long absence.

I wonder how many other comic fans we have on here?
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

C64GLeN wrote:I started picking up and reading comics books in 2006 after a long absence.

I wonder how many other comic fans we have on here?
Here's one.

That being said, I haven't regularly bought comics in ages. The only stuff I keep an eye on these days is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, since I've had a thing for everything Kevin O'Neil has been involved with ever since the Marshall Law days. Also a huge fan of (to name but a few) Bone, Cerebus, Pogo, Calvin & Hobbes, Jeff Loeb & Tim Sales work on Batman, Asterix, and of course The Good Artist himself: Carl Barks. Never been that much into 2000AD (although I've got some Dredd tucked away somewhere). Enjoyed the first Nemesis The Warlock TPB that came out a few years back, but never really got into the second. I guess it would ring truer to someone living under Thatchers rule in the 80s. :D

These days I mostly catch up on my backlog of Barks' work. And 100 Bullets. Oh, and I just bought Don Rosas "Pertwillaby Papers" the other day.
Mog
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Mog »

If a survey was done to find out what takes up the most space in our flat, I think comics would win (and they definitely would if you include the trade paperbacks). I wouldn't like to guess how many of them are 2000AD, but I think if Mark had not cancelled his subscription a few years back, there would be nowhere to sit! It is probably fair to say that we quite like them. :)

I've never really been one for regularly buying single issues; I prefer to read a big run all at once. Sadly this means I don't get on too well with the 2000ADs, what with the massive pile of comics of which you're going to read a few pages each. Interestingly though, most of my favourite writers cut their teeth on 2000AD back in the day, including Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis and Alan Moore, who of course wrote League of Extraordinary Gentlemen mentioned above.

Have recently enjoyed Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, which is brilliantly insane, and Bill Willingham's Fables. (I am now having to hold back a big flood of 'and and and', otherwise I will list every comic I have ever enjoyed!)

Oh yeah, see also the Big Finish 2000AD audio dramas, which are awesome (and featuring Simon Pegg as Johnny Alpha). Some are available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/audio/.

Mog
x
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

C64GLeN wrote:I wonder how many other comic fans we have on here?
Here's another one. Which reminds me, I need to get the last Planetary volume!

I'm an on-and-off consumer though. And I usually end up buying collections, not single issues - mainly because they're easier to store conveniently in a book shelf. I prefer "graphic novels" over continuous comic series. I need closure! :)

Right now I'm re-reading From Hell in lack of new material (and from lack of a good comic book store in town - sometimes I really miss living in Malmö).
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

I knew there were more of us.

I'm a bit of a Marvel nerd (don't judge) but I also like the creator owned/more indy stuff like, The Boys, Crossed, No Hero, Supergod, Usagi Yojimbo, Invincible, Sweet Tooth and Absolution.
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Mog wrote:.....I wouldn't like to guess how many of them are 2000AD...
At least 1537, at least that is the number of issues i have, erm, "procured" as CBR files ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

1732 came out last week, and there are a few oddly numbered issues (2000–2011 at year ends—g� knows what they're going to do if the comic lasts another six years).
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

C64GLeN wrote:I knew there were more of us.

I'm a bit of a Marvel nerd (don't judge) but I also like the creator owned/more indy stuff like, The Boys, Crossed, No Hero, Supergod, Usagi Yojimbo, Invincible, Sweet Tooth and Absolution.
Eek! Can't believe I missed mentioning Usagi Yojimbo in my initial reply. Which reminds me that I should start re-reading the 10 volumes of collected books I have here. Was geeky enough to order an autographed version of Book Seven, too. :D
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Oh, we have other Usagi fans here? Great! I can be grateful that I can count Stan Sakai as a friend, and you might be interested in the vast array of stuff I've picked up on my travels ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Mayhem wrote:I can be grateful that I can count Stan Sakai as a friend, and you might be interested in the vast array of stuff I've picked up on my travels ;)
Whoa! :worship: