Catagorising Remixes at RKO

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.

Would you like the remixes to be catagorised at RKO?

1) YES
48%
2) Don't Care
13%
3) NO
39%

Total votes: 23

tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Catagorising Remixes at RKO

Post by tas »

Following a previous discussion on this board, we are asking should the remixes at RKO be catagorised.

This poll is not endorsed by RKO, and whatever the result maybe there is no guarentee anything will be implemented, but it does give something for Jan at RKO to ponder.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Voted: No. I don't think there's a need to do that, but that's just my opinion. And I wouldn't want to be the one who's gonna have to go through all the existing files and categorise them :)

And it's bound to be arguments over it.

"No, this is not hardcore! It's Ultra-Terror-Gabbah! Sort your shit out!" :D
Atroxis
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Atroxis »

Gererally I'd say: yep, categorizing the tunes is a nice idea, because sometimes you're just looking for a dance mix or a classical mix or whatever.

But I guess it's very hard to find a category for some mixes, because they are unique. And, if you have the remixes subdivided into categories, it may happen, that some beautiful mixes won't be heard by many people, just because they're listed in a category of "no interest"...

So if you find a *good* way to get the mixes in categories: make it so. :)

Cheers,
Markus.
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Voted: YES
Why?: I can tell my friends "On RKO you can find dozens of <hardrock> remixes, just check it out for yourselves" and voila! There they lay cathegorized and no searching has to be done for these guys! Just check out Bart Klepkas website, all his remixes are cathegorized so I didn't risc downloading jungle-remixes at all! :)
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

I voted yes... There are definitly valid arguments to be made both for yes and no but in general I think it's a good idea. I agree with makke though, there is bound to be some discussion to the style of some remixes... I would need help to catagorize my own work because I tend to get lost in all those styles outthere, can't even tell what my own are in :)
<--- I went that way --->
Lurios

Post by Lurios »

I vote to NO.

I would also see to many arguments on what the genre should be for a tune.

Since we couldn't decide for ourselves would we want a select few to do it for us? No, I see creating a panle of judges to decide would be going to far, and really unecissary.
Consequentlly it should be upto the remixer if anyone.

Also If the first issue was not there, consider the huge amount of tunes that would fit under one genre. Sure there's ones that really stand out for a specific genre, but many of them would fit under the one genre.

-L
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

ID3

Post by Chris Abbott »

Why not just use what the arranger has put in the ID3 tag?
This is also amusing in some ways... though a lot of people probably leave it blank or put "game".

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

or better...."dunno" is one entry thast comes to mind.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Neil wrote:or better...."dunno" is one entry thast comes to mind.
Or ArseApella...although that remix never made it on to the actual site ;)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Oh, I loved the ArseApella mix. Got a copy on my HD for sure :)
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

I voted No.

I like to be suprised as to what a mix is going to sound when I press play!! :)

Though if Jan ever did implement this maybe he could have catagories such as

Music for B&Q

Music For Elevators

Music for Ceefax

Music to Make Love To....and

What the hell is this??......... :lol:

This ofcourse would only be for tunes that dont fit into any other

catagory!!!

Ps.......of course im joking!
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

my vote is NO!:

I think i would miss some good remixes if they would be in catagories.
'Coz i am not really a Jazz or Rock-Music Fan and if there would have been catagories already, then the kinda Rockremix of "GIANA SISTERS" had never seen any bytes of my harddrive! :wink:
But there were no catagories and i gave it a try! :D
For me a def. NO!

TOM:::...
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

voted no, because it's a hell of work to categorize all files... and i don't want to read all the flaming that will be started here. something like :
'...that's not rock, you twit! it's neo-punk-bleh-blah-blah... (and so on)'
i don't believe that such categories will really help in searching for favorites. take 'machinae supremacy - great gianna sisters' for example. hardrock ? metal ? it has too much of the giana spirit in it for me to let me decide on that... and there are plenty of tunes that are unique enough to get a category of themselves... :roll:
All is lost.
Atroxis
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Atroxis »

I've got an idea about how to categorize the mixes and everyone may be happy (at least I hope so). Might be a bit more complicated to realize, but how about...:

A composer knows best, what kind of song his track is. Most times, his track won't perfectly fit into a single category. So why not let him select several styles to select from?

My English isn't that good to explain what I mean, so here's an example:

I've uploaded a track, which is a mixture between orchestra (mainly), some heavy metal riffs and some JMJ synth parts.

So I go to the category folder and select orchestra, rock and electro (or whatever), giving 2 of 3 points to orchestra, 1/3 to rock and 1/3 to electro.

So if someone is interested in songs with a bit of orchestral flair, he just has to enter the directory browser, set orchestral style to 1 (which means, that there's gotta be a bit of orchestra in this song) and hit the search button. Et voila - on of the results will be the song I've uploaded.

If someone is searching for a mixture of orchestra and rock, well, same procedure. Just set orchestra and rock to 1 and hit the search button. Here again, one of the results will be this song.

Now if someone is looking for a pure orchestral song, then just get to the category browser and set the orchestral value to 3, leave the rest blank. Result should be any piece of musik which is purely orchestral, this time my tune will not appear.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Markus.