Marriage in Heaven - Tetris meets her man

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Marriage in Heaven - Tetris meets her man

Post by Kate-Z »

I *love* the authenticity of your "bwah"'s there Chris :) They sound absolutely perfect :) Sounds like an overcranked organ... wonder if thats what Wally used as a source?
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Kate-Z »

Progressively listening to it Chris (and Darren) - its... beautiful. I may not agree with many of the instrument choices (but then for 2000 I imagine it sounded bang-on) .. but the feel is captured.. hairs on the back of the neck stuff.. makes me want to cry listening to it lol :)

Would it be very cheeky to ask for the source midi file? I'd love to have a toy with it, even tho I dont work in a midi environ as such.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Kate-Z wrote:I *love* the authenticity of your "bwah"'s there Chris :) They sound absolutely perfect :) Sounds like an overcranked organ... wonder if thats what Wally used as a source?
I think so. This was a Hammond organ put through a guitar distortion. Occasionally it doubles up with another sound when it needs more power.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Kate-Z wrote:Progressively listening to it Chris (and Darren) - its... beautiful. I may not agree with many of the instrument choices (but then for 2000 I imagine it sounded bang-on) .. but the feel is captured.. hairs on the back of the neck stuff.. makes me want to cry listening to it lol :)

Would it be very cheeky to ask for the source midi file? I'd love to have a toy with it, even tho I dont work in a midi environ as such.
Since it's a WIP, some of the instrument choices might have improved even back then (not enough attack on some sounds, occasionally sounds which don't cut through), but yeah, when I listened to it again for the first time in x years, I listened to it two or three times. This was pre-Karma, so if I had rerecorded it in 2002 even, it would have sounded quite different.

Check out the other tracks I put onto Soundcloud. They're mostly long-lost :)

As for the MIDI File: I'm sure I have it somewhere but my archives are huge...

Chris
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Kate-Z »

Your "all the time in the world" had me genuinely blubbing seconds in lol Lovely.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Kate-Z wrote:Your "all the time in the world" had me genuinely blubbing seconds in lol Lovely.
Heh, I'm not sure I'm allowed to say who my collaborator was on that (and who had much more to do with the sounds on that mix than I did)... he's such a perfectionist... and a genius ;-)

Chris
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Oh yes I remember "All the time". Lovely tune!!! :worship: Too bad you guys didn't pull off a release. : :nonono:
Totta
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Totta »

Chris Abbott wrote:I really don't see why people have such a downer on "remakes" though: what's wrong with keeping the soul but enhancing the loveliness, eh?
Sorry if I might have been misunderstood. I don't have anything against remakes. It's just that in the Tetris case, there only existed remakes. No remixes. That's why I wanted to create something different.

It's lovely however to see how many that loves Beben's song. I hope he knows that.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's definitely one of the most underrated SIDs: it's musically very complex and it's made better that there was no reason for it to exist, since Tetris already had a (much inferior and annoying) theme tune. I think, like "Delta", Tetris on the C64 gained an awful lot of extra atmosphere from the music: a sense of the epic that's lost when you turn the sound down.
Tom-Cat

Post by Tom-Cat »

*bump* :)

Totta: Anything new with the *extended* version of this great piece ? :)