Hülsbeck Turrican pledge on KickStarter

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Hülsbeck Turrican pledge on KickStarter

Post by Makke »

Hülsbeck wants to re-remix his Turrican tracks, and has a funding pledge up on KickStarter. Since I somehow lost my original Turrican CD (and because I love the music and game), I'd love an updated version, with added tracks! :)
I’�ike to create a Turrican Soundtrack Anthology Limited Edition Box Set, with nearly all of the music from the Turrican Series of Games. At least 3 CDs will contain these brand new, pristine studio recordings. Even music pieces that were featured on the 1993 Turrican Soundtrack CD will be newly recorded and arranged to update their sound. Highlights will include for the first time: the whole 'Turrican 2 Title', 'Credits' (all versions), 'Metal Stars', 'Tower of Morgul', 'Unidirectional Flight', 'Concerto for Laser and Enemies' and 'Hall of Heroes' - all as full length recordings/arrangements.n/quote]o/quote]
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chr ... -huelsbeck
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Hülsbeck Turrican pledge on KickStarter

Post by Analog-X64 »

This is a great idea, might as well get a kickstarter going before we start getting kickstarter burn out.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

The "high-quality MP3s" download option originally had me somewhat on the fence regarding this.

However, I got word from Chris himself that the $25+ tiers will include FLAC downloads as well. Once a tier has backers it's not possible to change the description - even when it's for the better.
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

I did a 2-hour interview with Chris last Saturday where I got him to talk a LOT about the old days and his background as well as more details about the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology. You can listen to it at http://scenesat.com/relive/stream-1-4y or download it at http://scenesat.com/archive :)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Your interview was ace, John. Great show! :worship:
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

Yeah, I was "relive-listening" to it as well a couple of days ago. Great Show,Ziphoid.
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

12 days later - done! :D
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
lem79
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by lem79 »

Almost at $100,000 ($99,942), and still 28 days of pledging to go. Awesome! ($85 pledge from myself)

I wonder if this has exceeded Chris' expectations somewhat? ;) Very exciting project.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Incredible. Seing the reluctance of people's monetary support for Chris (Abbott)'s projects, I'd never thought Chris (Hülsbeck) would pull it off.
AmigaMelody
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AmigaMelody »

Has anyone heard the first released track? It's "The Final Challenge" from T2. I didn't like it - sounded dull. Maybe I'll give it a second chance.
lem79
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by lem79 »

AmigaMelody wrote:Has anyone heard the first released track? It's "The Final Challenge" from T2. I didn't like it - sounded dull. Maybe I'll give it a second chance.
Sounded good to me. I listened to the original TFMX version for comparison, and the new version sounds better all round (and that's before final mastering, as Chris talks about in Update #10). Although, two aspects of it weren't quite perfect for me, such as the slightly different melody right at the end, and also the lead sound from 2:17.. it lacks the 'strain' of the original. Hard for me to explain, but in the original, it was like that lead sound was trying hard with you to get to the top :) The guitar was a nice addition, makes it easy to fly with the music.

Something like that anyway :) I have faith in Chris that he'll make this one awesome production.
AmigaMelody
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AmigaMelody »

It'd be amazing if it sounded worse than the 1990's 4-channel TFMX! The heart of piece is exactly what you said: the sounds/melodies that kept you going to the top, and that's where the new piece failed, the most important part.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I think Chris just got tens of thousands of dollars worth of product managers... all with different expectations.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
AmigaMelody
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AmigaMelody »

Chris Abbott wrote:I think Chris just got tens of thousands of dollars worth of product managers... all with different expectations.
Please let's just stick to the music. Did you like the piece? I didn't mean to sound like the one that slashes Chris on his first posts here. I've been hearing and singing his music constantly for decades now, I adore the guy. I'm sure you'd agree it's not easy to pull off a successful remix out of an old classic tune, composed so many years ago. It's probably not easy for Chris, either. Talking about it doesn't show disrespect, quite the contrary.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The comment wasn't aimed at you, but the situation Chris finds himself in: it's difficult to please everybody (as you can see from the comments on SoundCloud). I'm not familiar with the original because I never had an Amiga and any of the Turricans, but I emphasise with being put in a situation where everyone wants something different.

For what it's worth, I think the mix needs more room to breathe, and a slightly lighter, more dynamic feel. I'm a big fan of Lizardking who always seemed to do that sort of thing pretty well.
I'm sure you'd agree it's not easy to pull off a successful remix out of an old classic tune, composed so many years ago.
It's easier if you spend a lot of time down the pub with Boz and have a Karma :)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?