What was I thinking!!!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

What was I thinking!!!

Post by Doddsy »

Are there any remixes that at the time you thought you did a cool remix only later on you wish you hadn't released it as you realised upon listening, it wasn't really that good.

I've run through my back catalogue of remixes and on the whole I am pretty happy with what I've remixed so far about the only one I'm not too happy with is Levathian Classic Trance mix. The idea was there but I remember resubmitting it a few times in the belief that it would have got a very good or outstanding rating. Listening to it today it deserves that rating it need more harder production. Maybe someday I'll revisit.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Re: What was I thinking!!!

Post by trace »

To name one:
Nemesis the warlock, my first attemt in Renoise and the mixing and "mastering" is TERRIBLE :P
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

My Action Biker Remix... it has wrong notes in it, that I was not even aware of until someone told me later.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

One point that made Remix64 THE site for me was the possibility to get my hands on WIPs. To see you try different angles on a remix. Even the remixes in the category "not good" were interesting. And it was always fun to see a remix going gold. This is something i really want to thank all remixers here for.
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks Vosla :)

About the topic, if I look at my mixes: all of them and none of them really. I was never 100% happy with any of my tracks, but those I feel remorseful about never made it online, so I'm fine.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

LMan wrote:Thanks Vosla :)

About the topic, if I look at my mixes: all of them and none of them really. I was never 100% happy with any of my tracks, but those I feel remorseful about never made it online, so I'm fine.
That's the curse of every artist in this world if I'm right... we NEVER get 100% satisfied with our work... and thanks for that, cause if we were, it would mean that there was no "headroom" for learning something new, and getting even better... I also think most people would be a bit frightened to realise, that they've reached their absolute potential? ... especially if they feel the competition seems even better than your own stuff, cause that would mean you would not have the excuse that "I can always get better, and beat them!" :rofl:

I myself never are satisfied with anything I do either... unfortunately it also means a lot of unfinished stuff when you're a perfectionist... to me, the worste curse of an artist... like me...
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I also think most people would be a bit frightened to realise, that they've reached their absolute potential? ...
I thought I'd peaked a few years back but always somehow get better or tighter or been able to do something in different ways. If I had peaked, the music would have been good enough for me but by improving still, I see each new thing as a bonus.

And that's even in lulls when I'm the only judge. I think people don't comment here because I'm not a remixer* and even on non-related things my friends have also noticed reduced traffic for their things. That's where the confidence comes in, knowing you're doing fine even when nobody else seems to notice. (And even then, there's the other issue of sometimes thinking you're great when you've been crap.)

Of course, I comment on little music here also because I'm not a remixer. Never the twain and that.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Pretty much if i didnt like it it didnt go up, I quite like listening to the differences between my 1st remixes (feud, creatures etc) to the ones I have now (parallax and so forth) and it is a good reminder of just how thanks to the community and the people that I socially mixed with here and in other places I have improved.

There are a few remixes I can think of that I regret NOT putting up (thanks to the great hard drive crash of 2010) lost a great version of sanxion that I did (in my opinion it was great lol) and the 1st iteration of parallax which was far more structured and 1:1 ish would have been nice to have had both up on KWED. but you live and learn .. "looks admirably at his external hd sitting looking all innocent"
Rapidkirby3k
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Rapidkirby3k »

When I first started uploading at AmigaRemix, which was not long ago, I didn't really use as much DSP options and techniques in Renoise. The EQ being one of those few. I also forgot to prevent clipping even though I understood what it meant. :oops: It's a beginner's mistake on my part when I read the reviews for my "Do It Now" remix. I guess we can all learn from our previous mistakes.

Speaking of which, according to the thread's title, I often ask myself the very same question. :lol:
Just the Rad'ster at Remix64!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I've been thinking of going through my old sound recordings, stems, etc, and putting them on SoundCloud for everyone to use. My old "Sonar" audio folders contain a lot of interesting snippets and stuff... but it requires time, as usual.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

If someone outside of the demoscene were to listen to any of my early RKO stuff I would be embarrassed. :oops:
Check out my website.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Earlier "bad" works, are simply "steps on the latter below you"... had they not been there, the step you're on right now might not have been reachable, so don't be embarrased... they are just "part of the road" to where you are now... in my opinion.
Zzr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzr »

i should not have released the guitar slinger remake, "being excited about it" turned to "blargh, you did it crappy overall" in quite a short time after releasing

though i already have a pretty big wall to climb before i make a song public so the real bad ones are gladly rarely seen on the internet, hehe.

edit : i have few problems with my older songs usually, even though they often got major mastering flaws, i still enjoy them.
edit2: screw it, here is one of that things i usually dont spread that much :)
my tribute song to quake 3 arena - i like it ! but i didnt dare to release it in any form yet :duh: it was created with a free TTS
website back then. have fun.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

Doddsy wrote:Are there any remixes that at the time you thought you did a cool remix only later on you wish you hadn't released it as you realised upon listening, it wasn't really that good.
There are no remixes I'm ashamed of, but indeed there are some remixes lacking in sound quality or sounding a bit boring afterwards. But that's no problem, as everyone I'm still learning how to get better results. I even didn't know how to use compressors or VTS's/VSTi's in the beginning of my "remix career" and furthermore creating music with effects was new to me. But so what? It's the fun in creating music what's it all about. I wasn't expecting better smileys than a yellow one and was surprised that apparently there are some guys out there diggin' my music. If there's someone who likes my contributions I'm happy, even if it is only one single person. Due to my preferred music style I'm not surprised that most guys vote average. Although I have to confess that I think giving a bad vote just because somebody doesn't like the music style isn't fair, I don't give a damn. Nobody is able to please everybody. So yes, regarding to my current knowledge primarely concerning technical things in music production, but also with regards to my latest point of view in questions of creativity, I wish I would have done a few remixes nowadays and not back then. Maybe the votes would be a bit better even though there's no guitar in my remixes. But if I take a look at the progression of my average voting results, it is rather unlikely. :wink:
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

And what about changes in fashion as well as technology and skill?

A stark example is the set of Beatle remixes made for Yellow Submarine Songtrack, Let It Be Naked or even Love. The 60s stereo mixes are smoother but the new ones are sharper, punchier and more realistically balanced.

You'll know if your old mix was bad or the remix is just better/different.