Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Razmo's Gear rambling thread

Post by Chris Abbott »

Amazed at your endurance :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris Abbott wrote:Amazed at your endurance :)
Thanks Chris :) ... It's a passion I guess... it's painstaking to have to keep old gear up and running... also had to purchase a clone filter chip for my old Roland MKS-30 recently... just waiting for it in the mail soon.

It's just something you have to have... endurance and patience if you want to keep this kind of old gear alive I guess... but believe me... the temptation to throw the Eminent out the window has been there a few times :lol: ... anyway... I don't think it would have been a good idear... probably would have taken the window frame with it in the process :roll: .... also... just got a cat, and I did not want him to accidently have a 70 kilo Eminent 310U thrown in the back on it's way out :wink: ... besides... he believes that the free space on top of the Eminent is his throne :roll:

Well... anyways... I had to celebrate that the string ensemble is now working, so did this little riff... I cannot remember the original tunes name... just popped up from memory... probably something 80's.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's "Joan of Arc" by OMD, I think...
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris Abbott wrote:It's "Joan of Arc" by OMD, I think...
Yeah... you're right... just checked it... seems logical cause I liked that a lot as a kid I remember... playing it on my grandma's home-organ... actualy think it was my first delving into music... scary :lol:
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Nice how things like waltz time just never die away. The Beatles and stranglers also liked it.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

I've been sampling the E310U strings ensemble today, and thrown the samples into my E-MU E5000 Ultra sampler.

I ended up with a 61 key sampled strings ensemble, where I've taken each and every key and sampled it to get the most authentic sound out of it. Normaly the manuals on the E310U are a little more then 40 keys, but as both the upper and lower manual can play the strings ensemble, and are a little different in their keyranges, I was able to get more key samples into my sampler... actualy the switching for 4 and 8 feet strings in the ensemble allowed me to get another oktave extra too... leaving me with a 61 key strings ensemble :)

It's never going to be 100% authentic, as in the EMI acords are summed before they enter the string ensemble effect... when you sample each key through the ensemble, you basicaly get a seperate string ensemble on every note instead, which is not authentic, but there is no way around this really.

This is how it sounds in the sampler:
the non-authenticity is not that much hearable in this demo, as the melodyline is basicaly monofonic. But I'm satisfied with the result... ended up being an 8MB sampled instrument.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Very Gary Numan. I wonder how it will all sound when the samples are complete.

And I'm still blown away at the magic of just doing stuff like this as an everyday thing.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

That does sound good, now you can do your own Equinoxe tune. ;)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Here is the newest addition to the studio; A Zeus mkI... the sound is... erm... hairy, and it runs on tuna... Perfect for filtering mice with a steep "cutoff" curve :wink:

We do not agree on wether the space next to my keyboard is for Zeus or a Mouse... but I can see the confusing aspect of that debate from his perspective.
100_9038b.jpg
100_9038b.jpg (205.11 KiB) Viewed 18990 times
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'd "like" that if it was a Facebook post!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris Abbott wrote:I'd "like" that if it was a Facebook post!
Sorry, but I don't do facebook :wink:

Cat's and studio goes together... I don't know why really, but there are loads of pictures out there with cat's in studio's... must be a logical explanation for it, and the "phenomenon" has hit me as well... a disease perhaps? ...
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

But to remedy the sudden attack of "cat in the studio", this is the latest addition to the studio, or rather I'm in the process of making a deal about this. It will fill a niche in my studio because of it's MOSS synthesis... I've had my eyes on this one for years, and now seems to be the time.

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

And in the process of getting this KORG Radias (and other synths by the way), I'm making a change in my studio... some of the older analog machines are going out, as they are not as flexible in my opinion, and begin to require a lot of maintenance. I'm trying to change the older stuff, so that I only got the newer stuff.

Also, many older instrument have a latency that makes you have to compensate in your work all the time... that I'm looking forward to get rid off.

I sold my MOOG Minitaur also, even though it's a modern synth... but I have a Slim Phatty as well, and I cannot justify having two MOOG's in the studio, that does practicaly the same sound... the Minitaur is less flexible, and the keyrange is not to my liking really (it's limited in it's keyrange, as it's a bass synthesizer).

So at the moment I'm getting rid of my Roland MKS-30 and MKS-50, Oberheim Matrix-1000... and my DSI Tetra is going as well, but that's because I'm looking for the bigger DSI Prophet '08 analog synth with more voices.

so quite a huge change in the studio (besides the cat)... I'm also looking strongly at a Roland V-Synth XT, Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1UW+mkII and Elektron Octatrack as well... but as always, this will be an ongoing project (that probably never end).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

The Cat is an excellent addition to the studio and as always Evil Geniuses always need a cat, so they can plan their dastardly deeds. :) (Well in this case there is more Genius) :cheers:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:The Cat is an excellent addition to the studio and as always Evil Geniuses always need a cat, so they can plan their dastardly deeds. :) (Well in this case there is more Genius) :cheers:
That was one dastardly compliment there ANX64! ... thanx! :arr:

Anyways, the cat is dastardly enough... He's had four dead birds inside, behind my studio, and seem to tear them apart in the middle of all my cord spaghetti... all those darn light feathers, I nearly can't get them removed again :? ... Also a small horde of mice he takes in, and serve them to me, right behind my chair... four times he's had live mouse in too... two of wich I had the honor of saving from eminent death :roll:

but hey... that's what I got him for... to take the darn mice, så I just put up the big "smile" and say "Goooood kitty!"... and then we throw them out together... the mice and him that is :lol: ...

Problem is, that I live so far out in the country, that I litterally have fields all around my house, practically all the way op to 5 meters from my front door, so there's plenty of those critters around, and in the winter time they tend to crawl inside the house... so I need one dastardly cat :wink: