Trick Bag (wip)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Trick Bag (wip)

Post by Mordi »

Finally making use of guitar and drum kit. 100 takes on the guitar parts, and it still sounds bad. Had to edit it a bunch!

Edit:
Last edited by Mordi on 27/01/2014 - 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my website.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Trick Bag (wip)

Post by Commie_User »

That sounds unbelievably 70s, which from me is a huge thumbs up and a mammoth well done.

And I hear nothing wrong with the guitar either. Everything slots just peachily. What exactly were you using on this piece? I'd be quite interested to read a few words on the gear and process.

Stick it on tape, re-upload it and say it was made in 1976. Who will ever disagree?
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Cool, thanks! I listen to a lot of 70's music in general. Lately I've been really into Steely Dan (Aja, Gaucho) and Toto (), though mainly for the drumming. But I've also listened to a lot Vangelis and Jarre in the past, which is where I usually take inspiration for synths from, as well as moog (as in; Sebastian Bachlinski) actually.

Anyway, the guitar I'm using is a Washburn acoustic guitar with a Fishman pickup, which makes it a half-acoustic guitar I guess. Steel strings. I originally wanted to do as few takes as possible, to make it sound coherent, but I had to resort to chopping multiple takes up and gluing the best parts together. I also edited out some goofs on the guitar - pops and screeches. I spent several hours recording and editing, and I'll have to spend even more. The way I chose to record was by hooking the guitar directly into the computer. Setting up a few mics and recording it live could yield better results, but it's a bit of a hassle - maybe I'll do that later.

The drums I use is a Yamaha Stage Custom set, with mostly Paiste 2002 cymbals. I'm a bit more proficient on the drums than guitar. That took about ten minutes to record, and no editing was required - though this is still just about half the song so I'll have to record more. In my basement I have a recording room set up, with a drum set and a bunch of mics (including the legendary SM-57 as close-mics). These are hooked into a Presonus StudioLive 16.0.4, which is then hooked into my laptop using firewire. All tracks are recorded separately, which is a must for getting a good mix. I'm still new to mixing drums, so I basically have no idea what I'm doing. Just doing what I think sounds alright.

I should also mention that I don't use any presets on any of the instruments (except for piano), which is something I've gradually been doing for maybe a year now. This is useful for learning how to program synths, although often I can't really get that perfect sound I'm after. I use Zebra 2 almost exclusively.

:puh: :duh:
Check out my website.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Have you ever tried something in this kind of vein?

That track does sound like you have a little place to record in. I have to rely on a living room when the neighbours are out, though I still get something decent anyway.

Your drums do sound like they fit the 70s music - deep and solid rather than bright and clean. You're certainly on the right track.

Definitely keep going with this sort of thing. It certainly won't be lift music, carrying on getting better.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Check out my website.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Added new version in OP.
Check out my website.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Always going to admire the clarity Mordi.. How much work do you do in filters in that lead synth?, and if so do you do it after the notes are laid in fruity's record everything mode? or manually edit them in? a good example around the 1:13 mark..

oh and the new wip2 Awesome pal, awesome!! Damnit hurry! :confusion: hehe
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Very nice. :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

AndyUK wrote:Always going to admire the clarity Mordi.. How much work do you do in filters in that lead synth?, and if so do you do it after the notes are laid in fruity's record everything mode? or manually edit them in? a good example around the 1:13 mark..
Thanks. I feel like the mix is a bit muddy still. I plan to re-record the guitars with mics instead of the pickup. I do it by hand with the mouse after the notes are laid out, since I don't have any controllers. However, M-Audio Oxygen-49 is on the way in the mail. I'm hoping to be able to be more hands-on with the MIDI, and it has two wheels so that I can at least do the filter automation by hand. :cheers:
Check out my website.