A Prehistoric Tale [WIP - Guitar-based cover]

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
BasicCoder
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

A Prehistoric Tale [WIP - Guitar-based cover]

Post by BasicCoder »

Very rough around the edges (bum notes, under/over-bends, etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zlvtSiIY0

Apologies to Jochen and Jogeir. :)

David.
--
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: A Prehistoric Tale [WIP - Guitar-based cover]

Post by Chris Abbott »

Sometimes it's difficult to judge a piece's quality because of the obvious errors (which you've already pointed out) being so glaring it's difficult to look further in any detail. This is the "Purple Dinosaur" effect, once explained to me by a game developer (possibly Stoo Cambridge, Sensible, then of Abstract Entertainment) who said that they put a purple dinosaur in games shipped to Nintendo or Sega so that they didn't look quite as closely at the game.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
BasicCoder
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by BasicCoder »

Thanks for the response, Chris.

If there's one habit I really need to break, it's uploading YouTube videos literally minutes after recording them! Prior to uploading, I didn't even notice the nasty bum note (and underbend) at around 2:24 -- a real "ouch!" moment! Listening to David Gilmour almost exclusively for years has given me a very 'bendy' guitar style, but of course string bends tend to sound terrible if you don't hit the right pitch (evidently).

Anyway, it's all getting redone (the guitar stuff), but the backing track - a few tweaks aside - will remain pretty much 'bare bones'.

David.
--
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

The guitar is awesome. Drums are a bit stiff. All in all it's a great addition to the heap, I reckon.
Check out my website.
BasicCoder
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by BasicCoder »

Mordi wrote:The guitar is awesome. Drums are a bit stiff. All in all it's a great addition to the heap, I reckon.
Thanks, Mordi.

I agree about the drums. Unfortunately, this cover represents the absolute limit of my tracking (Renoise) & production skills. :(

(Actually, I plagiarized Jogeir's drum track from his peerless "Nearly There" MOD, mostly because I knew I couldn't better it!).

Anyway WIP2 is up, with some minor improvements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3L_1jZKA8

I really should re-do the whole thing from scratch, but time is running out...

David.
--