Stolen/Reuploaded works

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: Stolen/Reuploaded works

Post by LMan »

Incidentally we had this discussion recently. Disclaimers have been/will be put up on Remix.Kwed.Org and AmigaRemix, addressing the issue. However I have my doubts that this will stop anyone. :roll:

Anyway welcome! :cheers:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You can issue a takedown over the unauthorised use of a cover recording, yes.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I've sent you an email, we'll sort things out.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

Hey MoonshineFox.

You can make a copyright claim on those sites (youtube, spotify etc).

Even if the melodies aren't your own, the remix is. You have always rights on your own work.
Would be the same when someone is doing a photo of mona lisa.
Just because the its a paint of Leonardo da Vinci, doesnt mean that you dont have rights on your photos.

I did the same with people who ignored my mails and my request for deletion. So i just claimed on youtube and they have take down the content.

I think the only way to save your rights is to write some Licence Information in your uploads here. Sadly we can not enter Informations in the uploads. We need to edit the file when it's online and that creates a time window for copycats.But at least you can clear your rules such as "Free to listen and download, don't sell, make money, publish under different name etc" by editing your information. Those rules should be clear. If you THEN find copies on youtube / spotify etc, you can directly punish them because they deliberately violated your right.

Cheers.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

daXX wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">21/01/2019 - 7:42</span>Would be the same when someone is doing a photo of mona lisa.
Just because the its a paint of Leonardo da Vinci, doesnt mean that you dont have rights on your photos.
This is 100% incorrect. Photographing copyrighted work amounts to reproducing it. The only reason you are allowed to take pictures is that the Louvre allows it (for private use only). They have restricted other works of Van Gogh and Gauguin (in a connecting room) with the "No photography” warnings.
daXX wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">21/01/2019 - 7:42</span>I think the only way to save your rights is to write some Licence Information in your uploads here.
You need to agree on those rights with every single original composer or copyright holder first. Good luck with that.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Btw nothing stops you from putting your personal license info into the comment field, which will go along with your mp3.
That being said, you still need to clear the rights with all the other rights-holders before you can put any kind of license on it, so I'd strongly advise against it if you haven't done that. OR, like most here, you could just enjoy the "fair use" environment, enjoy remixing, enjoy listening etc for free, without worrying too much about the original rights holders going after you.

The fun stops when you wish to make a cent of it. Then you'll have to clear your music properly and officially first. So it's fair game to go after youtubers monetizing your music, but I have the strong inkling that a license info won't stop them.
rko (2).png
rko (2).png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 47465 times
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

So it's fair game to go after youtubers monetizing your music, but I have the strong inkling that a license info won't stop them.
Pheew... LMan.
It's not to "stop them".
It's to proof, that they used music which is not allowed this way to monetize or make money with it.
If you have no proof available wich is dated earlier and the music runs as public domain here, you can absolutely do nothing against it and youtube / spotify won't help you.

:cheers:
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

You need to agree on those rights with every single original composer or copyright holder first. Good luck with that.
That's just not right. You have always own rights as an editor on your work which has nothing to do with the copyrights.

First, you have to see the facts. This site is called remix but a remix is something different from that, what people upload here:

I will quote something from a site about remixes and cover versions:

Remixes: (Hardly any of the "Remixes" offered here contains original material. That's why it's cover!)
In a remix, the individual voices or soundtracks of an existing recording are reassembled or mixed, ergo "remixed". In this case, it usually remains with the already existing first recording, so that no new sound carrier and accordingly no further sound recording manufacturer right arises. In a remix, an original recording is usually underlaid with new tracks and is thus a processing of the original recording. The author (in particular composer, lyricist) or representative of his music publisher must therefore be asked for his consent. Since the original recording is used, it also requires the permission of the record company that has published the original title.
When we talk about Good luck, then good luck with this site. Because it 100% illegal then! There is no fair use in german rights and this site is german.

Cover-Versions: (This is, what you guys listen to)
Cover versions, however, are the subject of copyright, which is described in Germany in the Copyright Act (UrhG). Legally, the cover version is always a "different transformation" in the sense of the UrhG. This also applies if it is replayed true to the original. The Federal Supreme Court describes as a cover version the re-recording of a processing of an original work, while the music industry sees in the cover version of the re-production and release of a previously existing and already published musical work.

Ideally, a cover version is not an editing, but a faithful use of the original. The rights to use a cover version may be obtained from the collecting society of the original. Minor changes through another arrangement are covered by the purpose of the UrhG. Significant changes, however, would be an editing. Example: A German lyrics to a foreign-language original is editing.

Of copyright importance is the question of whether the new version is an almost complete match with the original or whether its own creative achievement exists. In the last case, musically, it's not a cover version, but an adaptation.
I am an Editor. You can call this C64 Editors if you want to talk about RIGHT or not RIGHT. :) And as an Editor i have always rights on my own interpretation and sound. So most of these "Remixes" are 1:1 cover Versions. I don't really need a permission from original Copyright holders.

That's the way i learned it. If you have other information, enlighten me.

:cheers:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Yes, most tracks are covers; or "adaptions" as they're called in the text you posted.

RKO is not german but danish.

The music here never ran as "public domain". A while ago, Kwed has put up a disclaimer, clarifying this.

What I meant with "fair use" is not that it would stand a chance in court, but that the rights-holders likely / hopefully won't sue because it's all done non-profit and in a way that honors the orginials. "Wo kein Kläger..."

In fact, you prove my point. While you have indeed your rights as editor, this does not cancel the rights of the composer! You'll have to clear it and pay royalties if you wanna make a dime off it: "The rights to use a cover version may be obtained from the collecting society of the original."
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

daXX wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">20/03/2019 - 18:37</span> That's the way i learned it. If you have other information, enlighten me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_license
Zephyrean

Post by Zephyrean »

As long as it's not an instance of someone claiming to be the creator of somebody else's work, I would consider this particular situation as an instance of free promotion. It's always a possibility that somebody who potentially like your music could come to discover it by that very YouTube video alone. This person also liked your music enough to give it a listen in the first place and even feature it in a gameplay recording, which I would personally find appreciative. Let's not undermine the fact that the uploader was also respectful enough to give credit. That way, if a listener were to stop by and actually catch interest in the music, they do have a clue about what to look for. Otherwise, I suppose viewers can always ask in the comment section if they care to know.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Just to prove that making a copyright claim does work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEUOPDPbgQ

It was a BIG long playlist of remixes from remix64, (mine included obvs)...
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

poke16384 wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">03/08/2019 - 14:20</span> Just to prove that making a copyright claim does work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEUOPDPbgQ

It was a BIG long playlist of remixes from remix64, (mine included obvs)...
Nice.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Okay - just submitted another 5 or 6 copyright claims on youtube and noticed that the 2nd part of the video that I had taken down contains remixes by loads of remixers from here, (Mordi, Allister Brimble, Razmo & others). This video is just riddled with adverts...

You guys may want to check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE77tYu5EA8

None of my stuff in this one. So....

Can't believe Jeroen Tel has thanked this guy in the comments section.. (thank you for making money from my original music), Really?

Tracklist :

00:00:00 : Aceman - Hawkeye
00:04:47 : AcidBlock - Pro Ski Simulator ( Winter breaks Remix )
00:08:19 : Adam Morton - Wizball high-score (2008)
00:11:26 : Afterlife Forgotten - Deep
00:15:05 : Allister Brimble - Rambo Reloaded
00:18:52 : Crono - Fifth Axis (The Last Axis mix)
00:21:28 : Darkman007 - Beyond (Cover)
00:27:06 : Darkman007 - Hollywood Poker (Cover)
00:32:44 : Emzed - Logical - Level 3
00:35:25 : Emzed - The Last One
00:38:58 : Foxfield Project - Trantor The Last Stormtrooper (FP Dance Remix)
00:42:30 : Gammasutra - Cosmic Cruiser - Galacto Honoris (Pravda mix)
00:45:31 : Hoylander - Commando Hi-Score theme (Analog style)
00:47:58 : Metal - JT In Space (Twolegs Remix)
00:52:28 : Mordi - Jeroen (Free to Love)
00:55:44 : Mordi vs DJ Skitz - Trick Bag
01:01:30 : Peter W - Cooperation Demo (Peter W RMX)
01:06:50 : Razmo - Mutants
01:12:00 : Rodolphe Bost - Wizball 2012 roudoudouzzz mix
01:15:40 : Steve Foster - Commando High
01:18:47 : Steve Foster - Monty High
01:22:37 : Teo - Monty on the Run (Monty on Acid mix)
01:25:45 : The Phekkis - Midnight Resistance - Stage 9 Remix
01:29:07 : Vincenzo - Dwarf Fly (Flying Barf remix)
01:31:32 : Vred - Great Giana Sisters (piano interlude)
01:32:52 : vurtX - Mutants (Sub 2 Mutation)
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

It's not a monetised video/account, is it? I didn't get an ad. Also, the video account's views seem to low to qualify for monetisation.

The video shows as already been removed on the Youtube mobile app but is available on desktop.
Last edited by C64GLeN on 13/08/2019 - 11:58, edited 1 time in total.