Whoa! New C= computers!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Whoa! New C= computers!

Post by Ziphoid »

Now, this is gonna be interesting to have a look at. *hmmm* Perhaps a visit to Cebit would be something this year?
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

URL?
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Nope. Not yet. The news item is just from a PR message:

London, March 2007: Commodore Gaming today announces that CeBIT 2007 will see the launch of a new breed of gaming PC as the legendary Commodore brand returns to the world of computer and video games hardware with the highest specifications available for gamers.

Bala Keilman, CEO for Commodore Gaming, commented "25 years ago, Commodore launched the best selling personal computer of the late 20th Century, the C64, and defined the early computer games experience for millions of people worldwide. We are privileged and excited to bring the Commodore brand back to the gaming community and mark a new chapter in its history with this exceptional machine. We're sure that it will deliver what gamers need and want."

The new range of optimised Gaming PCs will be launched at the CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany, on 15th March, offering people the chance to play the high performance purpose-built machines with the latest PC games.

Commodore Gaming will be making further announcements at the launch, and the company promises there are some very exciting aspects of the product still to be revealed.

Visit Commodore Gaming at CeBIT- Hall 21, Stand D08.
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Ziphoid wrote:Nope. Not yet. The news item is just from a PR message:

London, March 2007: Commodore Gaming today announces that CeBIT 2007 will see the launch of a new breed of gaming PC as the legendary Commodore brand returns to the world of computer and video games hardware with the highest specifications available for gamers.

Bala Keilman, CEO for Commodore Gaming, commented "25 years ago, Commodore launched the best selling personal computer of the late 20th Century, the C64, and defined the early computer games experience for millions of people worldwide. We are privileged and excited to bring the Commodore brand back to the gaming community and mark a new chapter in its history with this exceptional machine. We're sure that it will deliver what gamers need and want."

The new range of optimised Gaming PCs will be launched at the CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany, on 15th March, offering people the chance to play the high performance purpose-built machines with the latest PC games.

Commodore Gaming will be making further announcements at the launch, and the company promises there are some very exciting aspects of the product still to be revealed.

Visit Commodore Gaming at CeBIT- Hall 21, Stand D08.
PC With Commodore Emulation built in? Wow, that sounds like an amazing not-tried-and-failed-before business plan ;)

Chris
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Chris Abbott wrote:URL?
I think it will appear on their corporate site here:

http://www.commodorecorp.com

At the moment the http://www.commodoregaming.com/ just had a space invader and a countdown obviously counting down to the March 15th release date (I guess). From their corp site regarding the Gaming Hardware:

Gaming
Commodore Gaming, a strategic partnership between Commodore International Corporation and The Content Factory, provides a wide range of game products and services. Products due for release soon include a new generation of the Commodore 64 joystick, which adds game download functionality to the features that made its predecessor famous (direct connectability to TV and PC). Other products in the pipeline include game consoles for use with mobile phones.

It looks promising...
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I'll be at Cebit on a saturday and I'll probably check it out.
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

I'm very sceptical about the "corporatability" ;) of the commodore tradermark by turning it to grey.. To re-establish this brand it would IMO require someone at least as hugely charismatic as Steve Jobs and I don't think they have someone like that around.

Current base of C= brand users (I'm speaking about 8 bit users) is mostly relying on "unbranded" PC's while keeping some nostalgiac ties to the old machines. If C= corp. wants to gain trust of this part of the potential market (?), that would need someone from retro scene (like Kim Lemon) and someone from Demoscene (like me) capable of being crazy enough, enthusiastic and persuasive at the same time :mrgreen: to get the the attention. As for Amiga scene I don't know what could help as I'm not active in that area.

I'm pretty sure that C=Corp. is bound to lose if they are rellying on the idea that getting current C= users on their side (and turn them to buyers) just requires to put "C=" sticker on their product.

As far as mainstream market is concerned, I don't think C= has anything extraordinary in pockets to offer that could compete with other brands in that area (I desperately wish I was wrong though.. coz it would be great fun to see C= kick some major ass again (if it ever kicked some, that is) ;-)

roman
http://www.c64.sk - C64 Scene News
Ph0B1uS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ph0B1uS »

Interesting read but I wonder if the gamers of today even knows what commodore once was.
If they do I relly doubt that they'd care.
Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to have the commodore of the old back but this isn't it.

I do hope they don't count on the people that bought C64 and/or amigas back in the days because I don't think we're ready to buy just anything with the magic logo on it.

It's going to be very interesting to see the development of this thing though.
Gaming
Commodore Gaming, a strategic partnership between Commodore International Corporation and The Content Factory, provides a wide range of game products and services. Products due for release soon include a new generation of the Commodore 64 joystick, which adds game download functionality to the features that made its predecessor famous (direct connectability to TV and PC). Other products in the pipeline include game consoles for use with mobile phones.
Wonder what will happen to the archive at C64.com if they launch this service.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I found an Commodore branded PC Keyboard at work today (came with an ESCOM PC). Looks pretty awesome to have that sticker in the upper right corner but the keyboard itself is crap. :lol:

As long they don't harass old commodore fans with brand related legal nonsense, they could do with it whatever they want - I don't really care because them sporting a bought big name doesn't get me on.

A gamer PC ? Obsolete in 6 months. Make it a series like Alienware ? Well... no, still not interested.

Hmm... suddenly I feel the urge to take a dead C64 and PC spareparts and do some kind of modding job. :lol:
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Whatever they do, they can't change the past. If they make something great then great, if not then whatever. No expectations, I've learned from the past hehe.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Ph0B1uS wrote:Wonder what will happen to the archive at C64.com if they launch this service.
Well, there are two paths the new Commodore can take. It can either realise that one of its biggest assets is the user-base that already uses these sites and therefore just leave them alone, or it can go all mentalist RIAA on their arses. I'd hope for an Amstrad-style former (see the WoS home page), but I'm betting on the latter.

As for the idea in general, big whoop. Even if I wasn't a Mac user currently in the process of getting rid of my PC laptop (Parallels Desktop for OS X = amazing), I still wouldn't be terribly excited by the prospect of a Commodore-branded PC. Still, at least, unlike Ironstone, this current lot are back to using the original, non-ruined logo, although the rest of the site is shockingly drab and dull.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I've just restarted talks with them about making _something_ about this Commodore-related in a way we can relate to... again.... sometime....

Chris
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Funny. They stress out the heritage. They have enthusiasts who were part of the c64 crowd. Yet they seem to focus on young people without a clue about the past.

I understood the F.A.Q. in a way that says: This company knows of us freaks and simply tries to ignore us. No, they even expressly state that they don't have anything to do with us. They only want NEW customers for their NEW products.

Well, we'll see what they will do about commodore related material on fan sites. I see money-mongering shysters hovering over retro-auctions at ebay.
All is lost.
commodork

OHHHHHHH!

Post by commodork »

Me likey, me want, must have. I just had a mental orgasm just lookin at those things. HOLY S%^T those things would just F&^%$NG rule hooked up 2 my WS LCD monitor. <<shake>>
Just because its different, doesn't make it wrong.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: OHHHHHHH!

Post by Chris Abbott »

commodork wrote:Me likey, me want, must have. I just had a mental orgasm just lookin at those things. HOLY S%^T those things would just F&^%$NG rule hooked up 2 my WS LCD monitor. <<shake>>
lol :)