Defender Of The Crown

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Defender Of The Crown

Post by tas »

Anyone had the chance to check out the Robin Hood Defender of the Crown pc game?

The main theme tune is kinda remixed orchestrally from the c64 version and i must say it was really disapointing to hear. I thought to myself there's some bloody good remixers around here who could have done a far better job.

on another note, anyone played Pure Pinball and noticed a copy of Zzap64! on the coffee table?
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: Defender Of The Crown

Post by Waz »

Tas wrote:The main theme tune is kinda remixed orchestrally from the c64 version
Actually, as the C64 version of the DoTC theme is based on the Amiga one, more likely it is covering Jim Cuomo's Amiga classic original.

Nonetheless, having heard it on that PC game, it's poor. Very poor indeed, as Vic Reeves might say.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

oh, i didn't know that. A wealth of knowledge :)
XGener8or
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by XGener8or »

wazzaw wrote:
Actually, as the C64 version of the DoTC theme is based on the Amiga one, more likely it is covering Jim Cuomo's Amiga classic original.

Nonetheless, having heard it on that PC game, it's poor. Very poor indeed, as Vic Reeves might say.
WTF dude? Are you saying the game was first made on Amiga? Then it's VERY strange that the game is so much better on the C64 :? And the music too :lol:

I always thought the Amiga version was crappy attempt to make the classic C64 game on the new machine :roll:
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

XGener8or wrote:WTF dude? Are you saying the game was first made on Amiga?
It's a fact. It first appeared on the Amiga in 1986 with the C64 conversion a year later.

Also see:
http://www.cinemaware.com/robinhood_main.asp

This is from the programmers Cinemaware themselves, who've also done the new PC version Neil was talking about...
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Just how good a mood are _you_ in today, Waz? :) A candidate for Match of the Season methinks.

Checked on Man Utd's website a few minutes ago and it says all the tickets for the 5th round game are sold out. Is Man U's site refering to home supporters tickets? Man City's site says that the away allocation will go on sale on Saturday so that suggests there will be some available from City.

Paul
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

That last post was definitely a candidate for 'Unnecessary Post of the season'. :)

Back to DotC (that's a relief!). I'm mulling over whether to buy the PS2 version of Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown. Anyone on here played it yet? Is it worth getting?

Paul
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

I have no personal experience in how DotC plays, but the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet did a review of the PS2 version right before Christmas.

The reviewer had the Amiga version in mind, and more or less cut this remake at ankle height with the headline "Rusty Knights". His main complains were about simple graphics, only one scenario with scenes repeating all the time and difficulty to control the game. The review conclued with DotC Robin Hood is more stone age than medieval, that childhood memories should be kept in a hazy blur and gave it a score of 2 out of 5.

Since fifty of the readers also have put their score, averaging at 2.57, maybe the review has some relevance, but obviously I don't know to what extent.
Anders Carlsson
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

i would certainly have to concur with that reviewer, the game isn't aweful, but i got fed up with it sooner than i could shake an hedgehog at it.
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Hmm, maybe my caution is well founded then.

I like a bit of nostalgia but I wasn't going to waste 20+ quidlingtons on a remake (admittedly it's a remake of the Amiga version) just because I enjoyed the C64 version so much.

If it ends up at £5-£10 eventually, I might get it anyway but, at the price it is at the moment, it's a bit much for an apparently average game.

Paul