Commercial UK metal band pays homage to C64

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
lord_matte

Commercial UK metal band pays homage to C64

Post by lord_matte »

I was listening to a new album from a UK band called DragonForce in the car this morning, and was bowled over to hear an excerpt from Last Ninja halfway through one of the songs! Certainly brought a big :D to my face on a cold morning! The album is called Valley of the Damned and I think the song is Revelations.

I think we should all lobby Eminem to put a bit of Thing on a Spring in his next one :wink:.

Matt.
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Yeah, I heard about DragonForce a long time ago and checked their homepage at MP3.com... I don't remember what it sounded like exactly but I remember that I could hear the theme as well. I remeber reading about it on a message board... Don't remember which one though...

Eminem would do Thing on a spring in a second if you provoked him enough, so go on... try... :)
<--- I went that way --->
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

I think it was reported in the c64rmx mailing list.

cheerz
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

- sigh -

Post by Chris Abbott »

This is exactly the kind of thing I have to deal with. They've used Ben's work to "Pay homage", but I'd be truly surprised if they actually credited him as part-composer of the work or mentioned him in any way at all. So if this was the case, it would be no homage at all: just passing off someone else's work as their own. Homages have credits in them.

As it happens, this has been known about for quite a while, so they have no excuses for such crappy behaviour.

Let's not get so excited about hearing a C64 tune outside RKO that we lose sight of the fact that they're ripping off Ben for money.

I emailed them before Xmas about this, before the album was released, but they saw fit to ignore my emails. Did they in fact credit Ben Daglish on the album in any way? I haven't seen the album.

Chris
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Re: - sigh -

Post by DHS »

Chris Abbott wrote:I emailed them before Xmas about this, before the album was released, but they saw fit to ignore my emails. Did they in fact credit Ben Daglish on the album in any way? I haven't seen the album.
Just send out your killers from your underwater lair and fix the thing :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Already done

Post by Chris Abbott »

My underwater killers filled in their paperwork, and tomorrow Ben Daglish will own 10% of the track. Cool or what?

Chris
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Already done

Post by DHS »

Chris Abbott wrote:My underwater killers filled in their paperwork, and tomorrow Ben Daglish will own 10% of the track. Cool or what?
Chris
mmmm....

I don't believe you used your underwater killers for this job.
Say the truth, you asked the c64mafia :)

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
Papa Sid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Papa Sid »

DHS wrote:Say the truth, you asked the c64mafia :)
Don't go spreading rumours, boy! You're playing with fire...and buckets of monkey poo!
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Sounds like you better watch it there, DHS! You're pissing of the mafia!
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

LMan, Tas? The faked "C64-mafia"-users haven´t been deleted yet? OK, sometimes we quote Monty Python-movies on this board, but after all, this is not a kindergarden, or what?
putzi
lord_matte

Re: - sigh -

Post by lord_matte »

Chris Abbott wrote:So if this was the case, it would be no homage at all: just passing off someone else's work as their own. Homages have credits in them.
That's a bit strong; I don't imagine they think their album will shift more copies on the back of a small snippet of Last Ninja in one of the songs. If I was Ben, I'd be amused and possibly flattered.

Matt.
Papa Sid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Papa Sid »

putzi wrote:The faked "C64-mafia"-users haven´t been deleted yet?
Fake? We're oh so real. Ask Honorabili. He knows. He knows it all!
SIDizen SID

Post by SIDizen SID »

putzi wrote:LMan, Tas? The faked "C64-mafia"-users haven´t been deleted yet? OK, sometimes we quote Monty Python-movies on this board, but after all, this is not a kindergarden, or what?
Are you kidding me? I really hope you are putzi. You're the one who is acting like he's in kindergarden on these boards... I have been watching you and I don't think I like you... *growl*
What'ya gonna do when the C64Mafia runs wil on you?!?
If you smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell what the C64Mafia is cooking...!
...And that's the bottom line because SIDizen SID said so!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> That's a bit strong; I don't imagine they think their album will shift
> more copies on the back of a small snippet of Last Ninja in one of
> the songs
Of course it won't: but it's still pretending Ben's work is theirs. That's wrong, however you cut it.

Of course, I haven't seen the album cover. Maybe they mention it in there. What I do know is that they didn't bother to credit Ben when they did the important money-grabbing bit. Of course they didn't. No one ever does!

Chris
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Papa Sid wrote:
DHS wrote:Say the truth, you asked the c64mafia :)
Don't go spreading rumours, boy! You're playing with fire...and buckets of monkey poo!
I'm only saying that you're more effective than any underwater killers Chris may have in his lair .... :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers