C64 Mafia returns!!!!!! - Forbidden Forest!!

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
masterhit

Post by masterhit »

dan gillgrass wrote:
masterhit wrote:but to just use the original as a hook to a different song.. well, that's not what the core audience expect.
Thats what the Mafia do, their last couple of songs didnt even use a 64 tune as their base, just the lyrics meant somethng to the scene... its called "fun."
I don't have a problem with fun at all, far from it.

But this is the c64 scene, it is called a remix, this board is called Remix 64.

People expect a musical homage resembling the original, that is all I am saying, and I think you will find that most of us feel this way in truth.

I appreciate how hard it is for the remixing artist to express themselves musically in such a cover, but what more can I say. It is barely using the source.

As I also said, The Mafia are good musically speaking, and I look forward to future releases, the production is excellent but I can only be honest. There has to be a line where you say "this is not doing justice".

Not everyone has the courage to say this - the core audience think this.

It is like remaking Hitchcock's "Psycho" and not having the shower scene.

And that's my 'Simon Cowell' honest take on it.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

masterhit wrote:
But this is the c64 scene, it is called a remix, this board is called Remix 64.

People expect a musical homage resembling the original, that is all I am saying, and I think you will find that most of us feel this way in truth.

I appreciate how hard it is for the remixing artist to express themselves musically in such a cover, but what more can I say. It is barely using the source.

As I also said, The Mafia are good musically speaking, and I look forward to future releases, the production is excellent but I can only be honest. There has to be a line where you say "this is not doing justice".

Not everyone has the courage to say this - the core audience think this.

It is like remaking Hitchcock's "Psycho" and not having the shower scene.

And that's my 'Simon Cowell' honest take on it.
True, but I think that the Mafia will go onto release what they want when they want and not give a good God damn, their tunes are fun and sometimes a relief from what gets released and, I know, that the members of the Mafia are ALL steeped in C64 remixes anyway.... [sticking up for them qualifies me with a no-death sticker at Bit Live right, guys? ]

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Don Peppino
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Don Peppino »

masterhit wrote:Not everyone has the courage to say this - the core audience think this.
It's always very interesting to see someone with 3 posts in the board self-electing as the "core scene" mouth.
Don Peppino
masterhit

Post by masterhit »

All we ask is that you do not see this as negativity, but as constructive criticism.

By maybe changing the volume level of the Forbidden Forest bits that run throughout the course of the song (which as I said is very musically strong) you will add the familiar hooks that the fans want.

This is the market.

Do not be discouraged, nor get insulting to people who will happily buy your records when the sweet zone is found.

That is all.

:)
Don Peppino
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Don Peppino »

masterhit wrote:All we ask is that you do not see this as negativity, but as constructive criticism.
"We"? Again?
Dude, please, explain to me (us?) why do you speak for "all the scene" instead of yourself? Have you been elected as core-scene representative or spokeman? And if *not*, how arrogant is your behauviour?
masterhit wrote: By maybe changing the volume level of the Forbidden Forest bits that run throughout the course of the song (which as I said is very musically strong) you will add the familiar hooks that the fans want.
Comments and criticising are always welcome, but you don't give them any more force speaking like you represent thousand of people...
masterhit wrote: This is the market.
Nope, this ins't the mothafuckin' market, this is the scene. This is fun. I don't get any money from my free work *FOR* the scene, i make it for *FUN*.

And, i'd like to remark that the scene it's not *you*.
masterhit wrote: Do not be discouraged, nor get insulting to people who will happily buy your records when the sweet zone is found.
Insulting? only because i remarked you're assuming you speak for the scene with (now) 4 messages in the r64 board?
If this is insulting for you, that's your problem, man.

Have a good day.
Don Peppino
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

The scene is about alsorts, not just one mans perspective. I for one welcome a bit of creativity every now and then. It makes a change from the norm.

While the scene is all about c64 and it's music you've got to look at the bigger picture a wee bit. It's got a comon denominater yes, but it's really all about creativity and exploring new depths. If this means it's wrong to make a remix like the above mentioned then thats highly self concious and really defeating the objective of the scene.

The track by the mafia is superb, yes its falling away slightly from your ideal, but its still related to the c64 and takes an element of remixing many would shy away from.

As long as there is an element of c64 in their then it's more than welcome, and the element is still quite strong even in this remix. If the remix was absolutely rubbish then as the mafia would know already i'd agree with you, however its not rubbish, it's just different to the norm.

Viva la difference i say!
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

It's always a very very thin line to walk. Should I answer the call for originality, or should I stay 100% true to the original? When you do something original some will tell you there's not enough of the original in there. If you stay 100% true to the original you'll get SID and drums or a synth cover that, most likely anyway, have been done before.

If you listen to this mafia piece you'll find that all of the original tune is in there. Someone said something about "it's supposed to be scary music". So? I'm sure if Mahoney made an "Umpa-umpa" version of it would be excellent, but not scary. If you want a scary remix of Forbidden Forest, go grab a copy of Back In Time 2. There's the ultimate scary remix of Forbidden Forest so there's "no need to make another one". Besides, where were you when Trauma released his Forbidden Forest remix? I believe it was voted most inovative remix of 2003...and that one is not scary. In fact, it's "poop-your-pants"-funny! And it still is! A bit played to death on SLAY Radio perhaps, but it still holds up. ;)

Just my part of it...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Paul Norman loved Trauma's remix, incidentally :)

Chris
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

on a personal level and to put it the way i have always felt...
if you dont like what i do then whatever.. didnt do it too please you
i did it for myself and then i share it with others.. maybe to further my musical acheivements or maybe i like the tune.. either way im not making anything for anyone other than myself.

if i dont like it then its likely you wont hear it everything ive done ive been proud of (even creatures).. and thats the way it'll stay.

should be the same for every other musician here.. you didnt like forbiden forest? ok that's you fair enough.. someone else will like it though... but the bottom line is the mafia liked it.. thats all that matters.

end of story.

im all for constructive critisismn of course.. i near thrive off of being told im shit makes me want to do better to go above myself time and time again .. but to moan because it dont sound exactly like the original?.. its a remix.. its not meant to sound like the original hats off for doing something original and different i say.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> ?.. its a remix.. its not meant to sound like the original
Er, originally in this scene remixes were supposed to be "the same but better": i.e. taking the original tune a step further but preserving its spirit, and trying to realise what the composer really meant to say.

Recently the new generation of remixers has redefined this, but I still get the impression that a lot of fans still love the original tunes so much they don't want them mucked about with too much. I've actually heard "I've got all the CDs, but I go back to Back in Time 1 the most". Not because it contains the most artistic merit, but because it's the one they enjoy the most, since it's closest to the original. The fact that Masterhit doesn't have many posts doesn't mean he's not part of the actual core of C64 music lovers, who we're (and I've said this before) not representative of. Remix64 is for the cutting edge of remixing, musicians and fans of the creative process. The average C64 fan just wants to experience the original tunes without them being mucked about with. And I can dig that. It takes all sorts.

There's an essential mismatch here because although in theory it's easy to do the kind of remix that's wanted by "the masses" (for want of a better term), in practice it's quite hard. Being subtle around someone else's work to enhance it is a lot harder than throwing everything out and starting from scratch. I think that's a point many people miss. But anyway, musicians tend to want to express themselves in their work, so they tinker, and occasionally go nuts. It makes the music theirs, so they can look the world in the fact and go "yeah, I'm a musician". But the "masses" want more of the same: they want Rob Hubbard, they don't want you (exaggeration to get the point across).

That's my take, which boils down to this:

As the remixers get further away from the originals, they throw away more of what the people fell in love with. Only the best can replace that with alternative stuff and make it work.

Oops, that was my July Editorial right there!

Chris
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Fine points you make Chris. There's the nostalgy factor: it might sound good, but if the original is not shining brightly through the remix (insert definition of "brightly" here), its gonna loose some appeal to some people. I also think that realizing the potential of the original is a nice goal (I don't see that as implying use of SIDish instruments though.) Also, since (I guess) mostly good tunes are remixed (nostalgy factor taken into account), you'll have to do good to impress people if you sway off track.

Infamous, good points as well. I think it boils down to that allthough everyone has his/her own taste, it is legitimate to criticize, because after all, there is some level of concensus over what constitutes quality -- otherwise pure noise would sell. :-) But a criticism should be constructive and polite and preferably not "its bad because its not this style" ("its not my style" is better.)

All of this should be pretty obvious though, so I'm not sure why I'm writing it. :? :)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I respect everyones opinion as long as they respect the work the musician has done on the remix, which I sometimes feel isn't the case. There have been, and probably will be, a lot of cases where some people have taken it as a personal insult when someone has gone a bit "creative" with their favourit SID...and that to me is just losing a bit of touch. And it really puts you off trying to do something special, because you know that there's a risk of having to take a slagging for something you did in the name of creativity and good, solid, healthy fun. That can really be a drag. I mean, even if you do something to make yourself happy it makes you even happier if others like it. Butwhen the "critics" cry RAPE when you thought you were making love...well...I guess you know what I'm getting at.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Nostalgia... It's a funny one for me, I've stated on the Chatroom several times i'm actually not a nostalgia fan, which is always greeted by suprise. Why am i here if i'm not nostaglic?

Well partly i guess there is a nostalgic factor involved, but i'm mainly here for the love of music in general. The whole Nostalgia thing for me lasted maybe 1 or 2 years, then wore off and i became more interested in the more cutting edge part of remixing.

I heard all the big favourties remixed already as they were but improved, and while i still love them, my thirst was quenched and i felt the need to hear a more expressive and if you will self indulgent remix.

ofcourse this is just my preference.
masterhit

Post by masterhit »

Chris Abbott wrote:> ?.. its a remix.. its not meant to sound like the original
Er, originally in this scene remixes were supposed to be "the same but better": i.e. taking the original tune a step further but preserving its spirit, and trying to realise what the composer really meant to say.

Recently the new generation of remixers has redefined this, but I still get the impression that a lot of fans still love the original tunes so much they don't want them mucked about with too much. I've actually heard "I've got all the CDs, but I go back to Back in Time 1 the most". Not because it contains the most artistic merit, but because it's the one they enjoy the most, since it's closest to the original. The fact that Masterhit doesn't have many posts doesn't mean he's not part of the actual core of C64 music lovers, who we're (and I've said this before) not representative of. Remix64 is for the cutting edge of remixing, musicians and fans of the creative process. The average C64 fan just wants to experience the original tunes without them being mucked about with. And I can dig that. It takes all sorts.

There's an essential mismatch here because although in theory it's easy to do the kind of remix that's wanted by "the masses" (for want of a better term), in practice it's quite hard. Being subtle around someone else's work to enhance it is a lot harder than throwing everything out and starting from scratch. I think that's a point many people miss. But anyway, musicians tend to want to express themselves in their work, so they tinker, and occasionally go nuts. It makes the music theirs, so they can look the world in the fact and go "yeah, I'm a musician". But the "masses" want more of the same: they want Rob Hubbard, they don't want you (exaggeration to get the point across).

That's my take, which boils down to this:

As the remixers get further away from the originals, they throw away more of what the people fell in love with. Only the best can replace that with alternative stuff and make it work.

Oops, that was my July Editorial right there!

Chris

That's pretty much nails it, and honestly I can see both sides.

I think there is a case for a "enhanced but faithful remix" board and a "do what thou wilt with the original, let your imagination run riot" board or something.

It has been said many times that the older people such as myself who heard Hubbard and the likes of Fred Gray as a kid.. we see them as The Beatles and Pink Floyd of our era.

There is a site called myreputation.com (started by Mel Croucher of Pimania fame, trivia fans) that does a lot or work protecting original music artists such as Prince.

I'll get to the point - they found that the highest number of downloads online and active communities and tribute sites was not for Britney but for older classic artists such as The Beatles.

I think this is of relevance to c64audio.

Look at David Bowie, one of the most experimental artists in the mainstream. There are the obsessives who buy every album in all formats, but the vast majority want his greatest hits, he spent years doing other stuff but finally he decided to just give what the masses want - more "space oddity" style songs. He now has loads of greatest hits albums and is fabulously wealthy via Bowieonline.

I don't consider myself a complete crusty but if I hear someone using a classic Bowie song just as a quick riff, well, you get the idea. There is some advert on tv now that completely rips 'Heroes' and it is a shame.

As Chris said experimental covers are really hard to pull off, in fact covers are generally. Remaking "Psycho" is bloody hard, yes it is in black and white and not in dolby surround, but Hitchcock nailed it, how can you top it?

Take the writer Douglas Adams - he found new fans with the "Dirk Gently" books but most of his fans said "Yes, this is fun, but when are you making more Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books?"

I also can see the other side, my friend knew Mike Clarke who did a remix of 'Mega Apocalypse' and he adored the originals but hated remixes just because it is impossible to get it right. It is a poisoned chalice to some extent.

I can understand how as an artist you would be infuriated by that and by such narrow mindedness.

So I do feel there is a need for a more faithful remix board, if only to please us crusties who want more of the originals, like the ones who came from America to Brighton just to hear Galway's 'Street Hawk' version on the C64 (ironically a cover, a reasonably faithful one) and meet the man in person.

I hasten to add, I've bought all BIT cd's and prefer BIT 3, my fave remix cd is Marcel Donne's Sidologie and I also adore Reyn's metal version of Forbidden Forest on Nexus 6581.

I also can't wait for the Kentilla orchestral extravaganza...

Maybe a bit of retro Wakeman prog rock synth burblings in there would really top it off ;)

So to summarise a really long rambling and contradictary post, maybe the answer is different boards, (or at least forums) one for faithful covers, and another for experimental/fun mixes?

P.S. Slightly off topic, I've also met Fred Gray in Liverpool and he was so charming and remembered me, that was really special.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

masterhit wrote:So to summarise a really long rambling and contradictary post, maybe the answer is different boards, (or at least forums) one for faithful covers, and another for experimental/fun mixes?
The answer to what? And no, I think it's a bad idea.