Human Race Sub-Song 4 Remix

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Human Race Sub-Song 4 Remix

Post by devilhood »

EDIT: FULL VERSION NOW COMPLETE & UPLOADED

Hey people,
I'm a new member but have always lurked now and then.
I grew up with the Commodore 64 and then into the Amiga, truely the golden age of gaming and music :P
So I thought that I would contribute something, this is my first attempt at remixing a C64 song. I wanted it to sound fairly contemporary, it's a kind of Funk/Rock/Alternative mixture and I think I have achieved my goal in this mix.
I've had experience remixing and what-knot before, been in a couple of bands, produced some Radiohead Remixes of unreleased and album material that got me some nice recognition and now I mainly work on solo material : site : sorry for the site being a bit messy, still working on it.

and here is the link to the mp3 : CLICK HERE

All feedback and comments are appreciated, please have a listen and tell me what you think! :wink:
Last edited by devilhood on 30/08/2004 - 17:56, edited 4 times in total.
Pawel Osmolski - music portfolio

SoundCloud - all sorts

Bandcamp - digital releases
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

very nice :)

Nice to hear a different take on what is now a pretty much overmixed sid. can't give it many criticisms apart from the usual things that amount to taste. like personally i think the base is a wee bit too quiet. But, thats a taste thing really.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Fantastic Version!
Tasteful use of guitars, very good arrangement and mixing, and I personnally love the acoustic sound of the drums. Where are they taken from?
On the downside: I would have spent this remix a real end, it deserves it!
:wink:
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by devilhood »

Romeo Knight wrote:Fantastic Version!
Tasteful use of guitars, very good arrangement and mixing, and I personnally love the acoustic sound of the drums. Where are they taken from?
On the downside: I would have spent this remix a real end, it deserves it!
:wink:
Thanks! :D
the acoustic drums are done using Native Instruments Battery (with their studio drum sample cd).
I will be re-recording the bass-line as it was a rush job with my guitar, the slapping was a bit in-accurate in places so once the rest of the track is complete, I'll go over that more carefully.
The best bit of the mix is hopefully yet to come! it starts to get really rocky towards the end, hope to upload a finished version soon.

Thanks again for listening.

SoundCloud - all sorts

Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Nice version, devilhood!

I agree that there is a great "live" feel in your version, both the drums and guitars fit nicely together... and there is "air" between the sounds, which makes it oh so pleasurable! :D

I'm looking forward to hearing the final version!
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by devilhood »

ok the full version is uploaded! enjoy it everyone, don't forget to rock out :twisted:
I've also submitted it to RKO, so hopefully it will appear there soon.

Thanks,

Pawel.

SoundCloud - all sorts

tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

A great mix... I really am not keen on the mad part tho, it's sounds all scruffy there! :roll:
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by devilhood »

Tas wrote:A great mix... I really am not keen on the mad part tho, it's sounds all scruffy there! :roll:
which is entirely and fortunately the intention behind it :wink:
I wanted that section to express in a way, the emotion behind the entire track, like a chaotic and climatic build up.
glad you liked the mix.

SoundCloud - all sorts

merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

This is a good remix Pawel. It's got a good "feeling" to it, I need to hear it some more to express that better. I agree that it needs a better ending than just fading out.

(To me, this tune is crying out for a huge choral/Jean-Michel Jarre mix. I haven't heard one done in that style yet.)
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by devilhood »

merman wrote:This is a good remix Pawel. It's got a good "feeling" to it, I need to hear it some more to express that better. I agree that it needs a better ending than just fading out.

(To me, this tune is crying out for a huge choral/Jean-Michel Jarre mix. I haven't heard one done in that style yet.)
no one suggested it needed a better ending, it was just that earlier on I uploaded a demo that finished abruptly.
I kept the idea of a fade out because I believe the main melody was quite haunting, I wanted it to slowly drift away as if its never-ending (typically used excuse I know, but this is probably the first time I have ever used a 'fade-out' on a tune before).
I'm completely happy with how the song progresses and works, I just tried to incorporate as much as my modern influences into it as much as possible.
Thanks,

Pawel.

SoundCloud - all sorts

Soppa
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Soppa »

I downloaded this remix a few weeks ago and I must say it's absolutely brilliant. I read about why you chose the fade out ending, but I still feel it's maybe the only thing I would've liked to see done differently, but you're the artist not me! :P Well anyway, compliments on a great remix, it's bound to be on my playlist for a very long time! :wink: Hope to hear some more remixes from you!
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

If this is your first remix, then I look forward to your next remixes. :) Great work! The only thing I don't absolutely like is the synth string that kind of follows the bass; not that it follows it, but its makeup. Apart from that I really like it.