NOW I AM PISSED!!!!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

trace wrote:I think i will start writeing down and burn everything i do so i have copies of the original and stuff.
That's called a backup and is generally a good idea! :)
All is lost.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Matrix wrote:What do u expect from record companies - they must recon that EVERYBODY steels music from the net therefore everyone will suffer for it... they recon they can steel stuff from genuine authors to make up the shortfall - this screams of a setup to me where you say "HEY I DID THAT, YOU STOLE IT" and they say "YOU HAVE ANY MP3's ? THEN"
Well, that happened in a pre-mp3 era (1992 and 1993).

cheerz.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

trace wrote:
DHS wrote:Trace,

it happened to me 2 times in the past: the difference is that the guys who "stoled" where nested in record companies and took my submission/proposal for records to do what you can imagine...

...They did the records, and said they were the authors.
Holy crap DHS! THAT'S BAD! :evil:

I think i will start writeing down and burn everything i do so i have copies of the original and stuff.
I tried this once. Sued the guy (a well known asshole song writer) and been in legal battle for almost 7 years, just settled the case last year. Very hard to prove unless you've got some excellent proof (and sometimes you just don't think you'll get ripped off). Got a $200.000 settlement though, but still it's only less than a quarter of what I should have gotten. Still didn't get the credits I deserved.. :evil:
AdamDawes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by AdamDawes »

Someone ripped off my entire website once. Took the whole site design and content including all of the games and software I'd written, and just changed all the pages so that they were in his name instead of mine. I was particularly pissed off when I found out.

It turned out after some investigation that it was a school kid who had submitted it as part of his computing project, claiming it to all be his own work. We phoned the school up and told them all about it. The web site was removed shortly afterwards. I've no idea what happened to the kid. :-)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I've no idea what happened to the kid.
He grew up to become... {insert arsehole of choice here}
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Chris Abbott wrote:> I've no idea what happened to the kid.
He grew up to become... {insert arsehole of choice here}
LOL
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

My sis talked on irc with that guy (JLsoft) who stole the mix and here is what he said:

<JLsoft> Okay, it's like this...back when I did that, I was supposed to work with a friend on
something during a weekend and I ended up blowing it off and bullshitting them, saying I was busy
messing with something else (when in reality I think I was just playing Playstation all weekend or
something)...
<JLsoft> ...ANYWAY, they got pissed, and as 'proof' that I had been working on something, I took a
random good .XM (which ended up being Trace's) off my HD I knew they'd not have heard and changed
those comments, etc, claiming I had done it.
<JLsoft> I had -=no=- idea they'd ever send it to anyone else or upload it anywhere. (They weren't
really into computers/etc at that time)...and I -never- sent it to anyone else, I deleted it right
after I sent it to this friend...so, I was surprised when I got an email from someone talking about
the .XM (I think in 2001)
<JLsoft> ...sooo, I freaked out and emailed Modarchive.com like at least 10 times requesting them to
take it down or how I could get them to remove it/etc...and nothing ever changed :/
<JLsoft> It's not like I set out to rip your brother off or anything...it was just edited to fool a
friend, and I never uploaded/sent it to anyone else, claiming I had made it :/
<Trace_sis> ah ok :)
<JLsoft> Sorry, I totally didn't try to steal his work or anything :P
<Trace_sis> well... it's good that we know... he went a little nuts when he found out that someone
"stole" his work, but now when I know the reason for it, and that you didn't mean to do it... I
forgive you, and I think he does too :)
<JLsoft> again, sorry :/
<Trace_sis> it's ok now :) I know the background to it

My sis is great to sort things out :) she can be like my manager :) lol
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

trace wrote:My sis is great to sort things out :) she can be like my manager :) lol
And everyone lived happily ever after... :D

I'll post a link to this thread to the guy who originally pointed me towards the Impulse Tracker version.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

good :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Made me laugh once, when someone sent me an amiga demo in my days at Mindscape, and one of the tracks was by me.. naturally, the guy didn't get any work, and got a ticking off by me.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

I thinks something like that happened once to most of us.
The 1st "music" i ever did (and believe me, it was everything but definitely not music :)) was in Aegis Sonix format.

Some friend of mine copied one of my diskettes.

Some time later (a year or so), i knew some guys from another city: out for a beer, one put up a tape with my music and says "one of my best friends did this!".

:)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

A familiar tale.....

I used to protracker music on the amiga (mainly from score then work with the notation), we used to release them in the college computer club, so i was amazed when one day a kid asked to join the group and presented Jon (the then leader of the group) with a track id produced just a week earlier - i guess he figured cos it was new and nobody had heard it yet - he was safe lol.... DAH ! :lol:
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

I had something similar happen to me when I was writing for Amiga Pro. One of my regular columns was a VCD round-up and if I remember right I did a 4-page spread on a selection that had been released from Phillips at the time.

The bastards from Amiga Pro then sold the work onto CD32 Gamer (which, admittedly they did have the right to do as is the case with freelance work) but the credit was then given to another writer!

I only found out when I was in a newsagent with a group of friends who'd come up to Birmingham for the weekend and one of them (might have been Allister Brimble - can't remember!) was flicking through and asked me if it was my article as it read like my writing style. I read it and recognised the whole piece, word for word!

I wasn't a happy bunny after that! At least I got about £250 plus £200 worth of free VCDs when I did the piece originally but it's still a kick in the teeth to have it happen!

Simon
Views in my posts are my own and not necessarily that of Auto Assembly
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Not exactly music but somebody tried to send in (bad) photocopies of my comics with his tag under it to make some money.

Asked to provide the originals, he was stupid enough to ask me to lend him the complete set "to show it to people who are interested". Well, I wanted to know who was interested and he fumbled his persuation roll on me (RPG trashtalk, sorry ;-) ). This smelled sooo fishy, I declined.

Later on, I was contacted by the publishing company. One of the bad photocopies had a very small logo with my name on it.

Never seen this idiot again... been a good laugh.
All is lost.