more sid sounds ???

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

sidsounds in remixes are...

great, i want more !!
75%
boring, killing my ears !!
25%

Total votes: 12

ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

more sid sounds ???

Post by ifadeo »

hi there,
the question this time is, do you want
more or less sidsounds in remixes...

esp. in my ones... :wink:

cheers 2Klang
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Well,it always depends on which sid-sounds and how much!
I used several sid-sounds for the new 666 Single now, but they are only drums and fx,plus they do only appear from time to time !!!
Sometimes i use sid-bass sounds ,but i never used arps or leads,since they are too sidy in my ears :wink:
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

tom wrote:... i never used arps or leads,since they are too sidy in my ears :wink:
that's the way i do it currently... :wink:
i use the sid mainly for fx sounds....

cheers 2Klang
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I can't vote on that since it depends so much on how they're used. I mean, SID+Drums is just weak. SID's a'la Instant Remedy is great! It very much depends. :)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

The context of thisd poll is slightly limited imho.

When producing remix CD's i prefer never to use the original sid sounds, nor do i ask my musicians to emulate the sid sound. My personal opinion is why fix something that isn't broke!!!!

Sid is what it is, and should remain as so. By adding a few drums or enhancing the SID by whatever means actually detracts from what the original methodology was all about...

If we are attempting to rework the sid musically in a modern day environment then removing the sid completely out of remixes is the way to go...

if i'm gonna listen to a sid, then i want to listen to the original work, if i want to hear a remix then i want to hear a modern day proffesional sound.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

hmm... i remember that "great giana sisters"-remix done by machinae supremacy... it starts with sid-sounds and then e-guitars take over... a cool effect and it gave the tune a nice kick, no wonder i like that tune.
2klang's "hunter's moon (annika's mix)" doesn't work so good for me, because the leading instrument sounds to much "sid-ish" to me (though it isn't a real sid-instrument...at least i think so) and i don't think that it works well there. i do a spagat here in that i agree to makke in what he said about instant remedy but i also agree to neil's opinion about modern day's professional sound and sid's being a bit of a contrast here.

[throws hands in the air]
bwah, i don't know how to answer such a poll, so i had to pick a choice by random to see the results...
[wanders off, a bit frustrated]
All is lost.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

i LOVE such funny polls... :wink:

btw. a remix is a remix is a remix.....

keep the scene alive.... :twisted:

cheers 2Klang
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHATS THE NEW SINGLE, THOMAS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8-bit childhood

Post by 8-bit childhood »

I must say, that I think the SID-sounds are absolutely divine! I'm always looking forward to hear some artistic use of SID-sounds in a remix.

I would love to hear multivoice SID-polyphony in a remix. I mean, the 3 channels in the C64 set quite a limitation to expressing one's musical ideas.

I would love to hear VARIOUS/A-F/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/Lightforce.sid like remixes on synths + SIDStation...
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

comment to my last post :
it looks like i hate it but i DO like 2klang's "hunter's moon (annika's remix)".
:)
All is lost.
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Yoshi »

I used some sidsamples in my latest remix. It comes online next time Jan updates R:K:O, I hope anyway. :)
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

Hmm.. I cant vote on the poll, since I'm kind of sitting on the fence.

I dont really have a definite opinion aboot this. A few of my remixes use the original C64 sid parts sampled into them, others use SID-esque sounds, and others use none at all. It depends on what I'm trying to convey. In my Tusker remix I used the 64 Drum + bass parts as the spine of the tune - albeit with calculated FX on them. In my latest cover I synthed up some nice sid-esque instruments.

I used to think that SID+drums were crap too.. but then recently I heard a remix of Turbo Outrun's second digi-tune that was just that, and it sounded awesome.

I think its all a matter of taste!