Request: The ability to request.

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Neil wrote:the requests are there already exo, thats not the problem, what is the main point here is that no one is taking the requests up. And since musicians are visiting the messageboards frequently then thats the whole point.

it's not the requests that are the problem, it's the response!
hm, request makes no sense for me, because if a remix a sidtune then i
choose a one that i like... it is very rare that a requested tune hits my
taste...

btw. triggerd trough this thread :wink: , i checked again the requests
and found one request with a tune i really like and which i have already
remixed... (Hunter's Moon)...

that was unexpected.... :lol:

it's not the requests that are the problem, it's the sidtune! :wink:

cheers 2Klang
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

thats probably very true, if the original doesn't inspire you, then it's hardly gonna be a great piece of work i guess.

a bit like eating sprouts, if you don't like them your not likely to eat them.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

well said, neil !
i got (negative) comments from people about c64 remixes like :

it's just fun for geeks (geeks? where? who?)...
it's as annoying as minimalistic <...>(insert most hatred music style here)...
it's a poor attempt at a persiflage of the 80's (isn't everything retro some kind of a persiflage from some p.o.v.?)...
it's a question of taste (read: it's bullsh*t for him, he hates c64 remixes)...
IT'S NOT MAINSTREAM (yeah, that's it ! bullseye !)...

i was really surprised to find that many enthusiasts here but i don't count on mtv featuring c64 remixes every evening :wink:

my 2 cents on requests for remixes:
try to regulate requests and the rate of them will drop like dead flies... and it won't be a bigger motivation for remixers to pick up requests.
All is lost.
exo
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by exo »

Ha, yes if its not someones taste, then its rather pointless for continue the conversation.

I still do not think that "regulation" of requests is a bad idea, but there's no way of knowing until a system is in place and use. Even if someone doesn't want to remix just because there's a request, there may be some interesting articles about hypothetical remixes. :) I'd like to be able to click a sid link and then get a number of existing remixes, a number of reviews of those and a numnber of hypothetical remixes. Anyway, its as pointless to argue on about this as it is to argue with someone with a different musical taste about why his taste is bad.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

it's a lot of hard work putting in a system when you already have an indication that it probably won't work. i feel.

to your other suggestions towards the end of that last post, now there's some damn good ideas there.

PLEASE NOTE: the reviewdatabase is in it's infancy, there are some changes to be made in due course and some radical improvements. but these are good coments and we'll look into these at remix64. Can't speak for paul at AMIGAremix, but as far as i understand the review database will be made available to amigaremix also.

Infact in time r64 will go further still than voting/reviews
exo
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by exo »

One last draw of the sword in defense of the hypothetical remix idea: any hypothetical remix description may originate from the remixer that intends to make it, thus the hypothesis becomes an item on the to-do list of that remixer. The next thing comming from me about this, if anything, will be a concrete database layout.