General thoughts and ideas vs. nasty 8-bitty samples

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

That sounds good... I wish it was sub 1 though :wink:
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

exo wrote:I'm not sure its much easier to use a retro-sequencer to remix a song than a modern state-of-the-art sequencer. And there are programs to translate both mods and sids into midis. Further, in my experience with mod remixes, they don't all sound all that impressive, in fact many suck. First of all, if you use the old tracker tool, you're stuck with the oldschool sample-quality and in an emulator, well, perhaps some new trackers can handle oldschool mods. I wonder how many remixers start with a clean slate and reinterpret the material without the use of a conversion tool.
Just to answer that exo,I dont use a pc or a conversion tool to make anykind of remix. I dont know how to be honest. :?

I use an Amiga 1200 running a free demo version of Octamed Pro V5(midi) tracker,which outputs to a 3 midi out Datel Midi Interface,connected to my old synths and modules.The newest synth I have was made in 1994 i think!

I dont have a proffessional sampler,I only have an 8bit one on the back of the amiga(technosound turbo).The only samples I use in a tune are kickdrum,hi hat and snare,which are 8bit samples played by the amiga using Octamed in the first three sequencer tracks.(In fact the first four tracks in Octamed are dedicated to Amiga samples). The rest of the tracks are midi tracks sent to my trusty synths.

So i take my favourite part of an Amiga tune i like,type in the notes one by one,and then spend ages trying to think of new melodies,sequencies and sounds to create(and it does take me AGES) and then bolt it all together to make a finished tune(its such a pain in the arse).

So all in,basicaly i start a tune from scratch and try to make a completley new track(almost).

So it is possible to do an Amiga remix,without using crappy origional samples,conversion tools,PCs or state-of-the-art software. :D

You CAN,it seems,use old technology.
Not to be too pretentious you understand.
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

And for some reason I expect this thread to end right here.

Dont know why.

Just have a feeling. :(
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

No! I will NOT let this thread die! You hang inthere, you hear me?!? Hang inthere buddy!!!

:)
<--- I went that way --->
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

Thank you for your support Larsec!

Much appreiciated! :)

M.A.F.
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Anytime ;)
<--- I went that way --->
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

@m.a.f. : there is nothing wrong with old equipment... i myself have to fend off people from museums everyday so they can't run off with my 'computer' equipment... :wink:

btw.: 'm.a.f. - nicky boom 2003 clubbin it mix' does not qualify for my last post here... the tune is a splendid example how to do modern amiga remixing in a right way. 8)

my computers are from 1984 to 2001, most of the stuff is over 10 years old and i still use cheapernet to plug it all together. friends keep calling me a necromant for my raising sessions to bring my computerstuff back to life...again and again... a soldering iron is my wizard's staff and my sparepart box is a gruesome display of rotting computer instestines... muhahhhaaahaaaa...oops...got carried away... :shock:
All is lost.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Just reading through the thread here and noticed about this sid to midi and the "swapping samples from 8bit to whatever to remix an amiga tune" thingy.
and also noted maf and larsec trying to keep this thread alive so i will too by talking about.........
fish....

no

wrong website, thats my other interest....dont ask.

anyway,

When i remixed creatures, fued and doing northstar now i tend to just sit listening to the sid for a few hours (and yes it does get monotonous) so that its firmly placed in my head and ill just put down the bits that stick in memory, usually its the mainline...like on creatures i didnt really remember the pitch change cos it really didnt make much difference to the tune and then i swap from what i use to just lay a track (usually noises stolen from some archaic dreamfish sidulike chip tune), to the synths etc that i feel would fit, then fiddle about for a week with just the noises, having the basic bare bones of the track b4 adding bass (usually too much :? but ive got huge speakers and i like them going brrrrrrrr alot, so its not my fault lol) then the drum beat.
listen over it for a few days, get a feel decide what i like about it what i dont, then go back and finalise it, removing this and that, adding effects, extra bits n peices till im as happy with it as i can be....then off to eq it best i can, convert it from hardrive consuming evil wav to mp3 and then show it too my mates.
They tend to hear things before everyone else, cos their a critical bunch and if they dont like it ill go back to the finalise stage and add/take away what little descrepancy's there may be, so that i know at least 4 ppl are happy with it............Im happy.

Its then uploaded on here and then i hide for a few weeks, wondering how its been recieved and luckily for me ive seen more :) than :cry: .

What im trying to say i guess is that 99% of us all here are proffesionals in someway, we all good at something musical we all got our own styles and ideas...like if u want something to sound different to the original but still same enough to recognise then u look towards 2klang, raffael (hope i spelt that right) and others who wouldnt fall into the conventional REMIX category....if u want to dance to your favorite tunes u look to the soundwavers, dhs, chris abbots, the deadguys, we all do our thing, OUR way and make each other happy.
we wouldnt be here if it didnt........well maybe to hear mr levin rant on and look at that amazing haircut of his lol, thats one cewl do dude, where can i get one?.

of course there ARE those that just plagarise and copy note for note, but neil n jan make sure we dont get to hear such things and only the cream rise to the top.
Soooooooo lets all just rejoice in being the said cream, and raise our glasses to paul, jan, neil and each other for doing the best we can do, were aaaaartists!!!!......just think in years to come thanks to us, other younger generations are still going to hear c64 music.....cos they'll hear ours....and want to know.....we keep that lil box of tricks alive and now we pay homage to mr miggy and his diskdrive of doom (damn that thing) and that flashy im not working light...........and workbench .....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i miss workbench and multitasking!!!!
MULTI TASKING!!!! on the a500+ whilst my pc monkey friends were complaining they couldnt do it hahahahaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaaa!
Ah well, i think ive said enough........must go back to work :?
tiresome, yet strangly fun work though :-)

see ya'll :-)
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

BELCH!

Pardon me!

Sorry I drink beer alot!

BELCH BELCH.................VOMIT.

BTW.A question for Neil.

When ish Remixsh shixty four Volume 2 cumming oot? a cannie wait man ye kin coont oan ma shupport man an nae mishtake!

Shorted! 8)
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

Maybe ive been a litltle naughty. :oops:

The " Nicky Boom" tune was made in July '99.(and it was,believe me)

Long before I had ever heard of Remix64,I just stuck it up on Amiga Remix because,well,I could!

It was never intended to be described as an Amiga tune Remix,I just remmemberd the tune from the origional game,years before,and decided in 1999 to make a dance type tune out of the origional main theme using my equipment.

And the result of a tune i made in 1999 is being described in 2003,as a "slpendid way to make a modern Amiga remix the right way!"

How Ironic.

And btw,Glyn R brown,Niel Carr,and eh........Honorabili recieved this tune from me at various points last year!

All of whom were VERY positive about the tune.

In fact an E-Mail from Glyn described the mix as a "masterpiece".His words.Not mine.

Bye Chaps.
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

Vosla wrote: btw.: 'm.a.f. - nicky boom 2003 clubbin it mix' does not qualify for my last post here... the tune is a splendid example how to do modern amiga remixing in a right way. 8)
Thank you for your comments Volsa,but,with respect,I was replying to a post by exo :wink: . Your comments are apprieciated though if they are sincere.And I hope they are.
In my post i wasnt suggesting that the use of old gear is a bad thing.

In fact i was just pointing out that one doesnt have to aquire state of the art equipment to make a tune of any sort,remix or otherwise.

If its good,its good.

If its crap,its crap.

Just work with what youve got.

M.A.F.

You kin only pee wi' the coke youve goat!(a scottish saying)! :)