Will I never learn?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Will I never learn?

Post by Makke »

How come I'm so damn bad at backing up? Even though everyone tells me all the time to back things up? Well, now it jumps up and bites me in the ass. One of my HD's just died, and I'm losing a whole lot of stuff.

Fortunatly I'm not losing that much "important" stuff. All files for "Hell on Earth" will probably be lost though. Hopefully I have a back up of the XM somewhere...

At least this all scared me into planning a backup session next week when I get back from my easter trip.

So, ones more people: It's always a good time for some backing up.
oj oscillation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oj oscillation »

that`s the main reason, why i`ve bought a dvd writer. one dvd burned in aprox. 19 minutes. all working. 4,7 gb are ready to delete then.
take care of your byte-treasusres, peepz.
oj
searchin for a hit-button plug in
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

its fine for people to say 'back up your stuff'.
but i have about 25 gig free out of 100 ..... how the hell do you back up 75 gig ???
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Steve B wrote:its fine for people to say 'back up your stuff'.
but i have about 25 gig free out of 100 ..... how the hell do you back up 75 gig ???
Yeah I know! It's easier said than done. I had (before my HD crashed) about 20 gig free of 160 gig. Burning all that out on my lazyass x4-burner is just not going to happen.

A mate of mine bought a DVD-burner. I think I'm gonna ask him to come over with it so I can back things up a bit smoother.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

In times of cheap HDs I found an excellent solution for the problem, and it doesn't take much time. I have two identical 80GB HDs, with identical foldeer/file structures. Everything that caused work for me (work projects, music stuff etc...) goes on that HD. With a proggie like Total Commander, it's quick and easy to keep both HDs in synch. So if one goes up in flames, there's still the other. It's a little like a manual RAID array :D

In my case, it's even that the 2 HDs are in different computers and synched thru a LAN connection. Ultra-safe and ultra easy for lazy asses like us. :)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

...i am used to put new stuff in a special folder. when it's at 700mb, it's time to burn another cd...
they are marked with a date and a proper (unique?) name like 'daily shit #2'.
i don't try anymore to collect stuff and sort it before burning a cd of it. i ended up with dozens of folders half-full. now i burn it right away and do later a search for a topic and then burn a cd out of what i found on my backups. it sounds really annoying but it isn't that much (yeah, i am lazy, too). a dvd burner would make that a bit more comfortable though... :wink:
All is lost.
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Burning all that out on my lazyass x4-burner is just not going to happen.

Man, you really ARE that poor. I take back every nag about you coming to BITLive this summer(GOSH! 4x!!? That's an old relic!)