Progression, not Regression

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Do you agree with Warren?

I want to see more games remixed
20%
I want to see more demo tunes remixed
26%
I just want more remixes of rarely remixed stuff
40%
I just want to keep hearing the classics: I never get bored
3%
None of those choices suit me. This sucks.
11%

Total votes: 35

Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Hacky wrote: [...] what is RKO?
Http://remix.kwed.org
Although I think it's down at the moment...
<--- I went that way --->
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

well, two month after your article, what are your conclusion.... :wink:

btw. many unkown sids are covered since your article....
what's 'bout a new article ???

cheers ifadeo
nada
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by nada »

Just to rejuvenate this topic, I feel that I have to say some things in relevance to the article. I do agree with Warren, in respect of what he proposes as moving forward instead of remaining static. Nevertheless, there is no special issue concerning SIDs remixed for many times, in my opinion. There is a remix of Arkanoid I have recently uploaded (it's not available yet but will be soon) which I think lies in the category of "multiremixed yet fresh(ish)" melodies. THis I think will serve as an example.

Moreover, I'd like to ask a serious question. This page is called Remix64. A remix is a different take on a track, including parts of the original, as opposed to a cover which is an entirely new take, with respect to the original music of the track. How came Remix64 contains covers as well, while it sometimes dismisses tracks that contain elements/samples of the original tune, since the latter are true remixes and not covers?
Hypocrisy Is The Vaseline Of Social Intercourse
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

nada wrote:Just to rejuvenate this topic, I feel that I have to say some things in relevance to the article. I do agree with Warren, in respect of what he proposes as moving forward instead of remaining static. Nevertheless, there is no special issue concerning SIDs remixed for many times, in my opinion. There is a remix of Arkanoid I have recently uploaded (it's not available yet but will be soon) which I think lies in the category of "multiremixed yet fresh(ish)" melodies. THis I think will serve as an example.

Moreover, I'd like to ask a serious question. This page is called Remix64. A remix is a different take on a track, including parts of the original, as opposed to a cover which is an entirely new take, with respect to the original music of the track. How came Remix64 contains covers as well, while it sometimes dismisses tracks that contain elements/samples of the original tune, since the latter are true remixes and not covers?
1) Covers64 would sound silly
2) Remix64 doesn't dismiss anything
3) It's as likely that a "cover" is rejected by RKO as a remix. In fact, in recent times, remixes fare much better than covers.

There's room for both things in this world, and quibbling over what's a remix and a cover is pointless bickering that's better spent actually discussing useful things. Hence we don't.

Chris
nada
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by nada »

[quote="Chris Abbott[/quote]

3) It's as likely that a "cover" is rejected by RKO as a remix. In fact, in recent times, remixes fare much better than covers.

There's room for both things in this world, and quibbling over what's a remix and a cover is pointless bickering that's better spent actually discussing useful things. Hence we don't.

Chris[/quote]

Wow!!! Take it easy my friend, I wasn't asking for trouble! I was just expressing my opinion! :?
Hypocrisy Is The Vaseline Of Social Intercourse
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

nada wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:

Chris
Wow!!! Take it easy my friend, I wasn't asking for trouble! I was just expressing my opinion! :?
Um, you were asking a question which contained inaccurate assumptions. Hence the reply, which aimed to correct the assumptions. Sorry if that was a bit brusque though.

Chris
Last edited by Chris Abbott on 12/10/2005 - 17:52, edited 3 times in total.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

nada wrote:Just to rejuvenate this topic, I feel that I have to say some things in relevance to the article. I do agree with Warren, in respect of what he proposes as moving forward instead of remaining static. Nevertheless, there is no special issue concerning SIDs remixed for many times, in my opinion. There is a remix of Arkanoid I have recently uploaded (it's not available yet but will be soon) which I think lies in the category of "multiremixed yet fresh(ish)" melodies. THis I think will serve as an example.

Remix64 doesn't dismiss anything... RKO might ;)

While remix64 and RKO have close cooperation it doesn't mean that we both have the same ethics... Neither are right or wrong - just different.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Chris Abbott wrote:
nada wrote:Wow!!! Take it easy my friend, I wasn't asking for trouble! I was just expressing my opinion! :?
Um, you were asking a question which contained inaccurate assumptions. Hence the reply, which aimed to correct the assumptions. Sorry if that was a bit brusque though.
Doc Kwed suggests three daily doses of the Mafias "Crappy (I'd like to be your enemy)" at maximum volume. If that doesn't help, gimme a ring in the morning. :D
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:gimme a ring in the morning. :D
So now you DO want to get married? Darn. I thought I'd never get the chance again! *grin*

To get back to the thread - Everybody to their own... The remix64 scene does both covers and "true" remixes. I agree with Chris that Covers64 would sound very silly.
Keep an open mind, do music the way you want it to sound. Do a 1:1 cover if you wish, or use part of the original as base and build new stuff around it if that's what floats your boat.

Me? I enjoy both equally.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Slaygon wrote:Keep an open mind, do music the way you want it to sound. Do a 1:1 cover if you wish, or use part of the original as base and build new stuff around it if that's what floats your boat.

Me? I enjoy both equally.
I wholeheartedly concur, that man.