Equipment required to 'Remix' ? (Total Newbie)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Tonka wrote:I (of course) meant with regards to hardware synths as an upgrade option from the sample based sequencing software that I recommended. To declare that ALL hardware is dead, whist typing into a PC would be rather silly ;) Maybe I should have written "hardware synthesizers are officially dead"?...
I used to think hardware synths to be dead.
I had to think again.
My Virus KC is everything but dead: beside freeing cpu time on the PC for synthesis calculations, there's still nothing on the software side sounding like it (neither Virus Powercore, wich basically sounds like a Virus A).
And.... while hardware synths (even older and well emulated ones) may be considered "eccentric" and/or expensive nowadays, there's always the added value to them: handyness, and the "feel" of it.

QuadraSID 1.5.
Yes, yes, yes!!! In fact, any chance of incorporating the RE-SID engine? It is by far the best sid emulation and sounds amazingly clear even without resampling :)
It will never be. Resid is still a no-profit project and can't be incorporated into a commercial product.

Cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I used to think hardware synths to be dead.
I had to think again.
My Virus KC is everything but dead: beside freeing cpu time on the PC for synthesis calculations, there's still nothing on the software side sounding like it (neither Virus Powercore, wich basically sounds like a Virus A).
And.... while hardware synths (even older and well emulated ones) may be considered "eccentric" and/or expensive nowadays, there's always the added value to them: handyness, and the "feel" of it.
Your Virus KC is just a software synthesizer in a hardcase anyway :lol:

Synths as we once knew them (Roland SH101, SH09, D50 Cheetah MS6, etc) are no more. They have all been replaced by software DCO's, software filters, etc like those in the KC and Novation stuff. In my opinion, they are overpriced for what they are and any sound produced on one can be reproduced via any decent softsynth (but really, this is just my opinion) :boxing:

The CPU argument is a good point, but most new PC's can easily deal with VST's nowdays - I have never suffered any problems in this area...

At the end of the day, whilst you or I may be able to tell the difference between a real Minimoog and a softsynth in it's raw state, can the majority of the music listening public? I would wager they can't (especially once in a mix full of other sounds)...
It will never be. Resid is still a no-profit project and can't be incorporated into a commercial product.
DAMN! :( Any chance of making Quidrasid free then? :wink:

Cheers,

Tonka
Zzr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzr »

jeskola Buzz

http://www.buzzmachines.com

freeware , mighty, uhm... in duo with soundforge a great thing , imho

needs some work and tutorial to get started, but once it runs and ppl figure out the useage, it becomes fine.

2 examples, [unfinished but maybe of use]

http://oldskool.txfx.de/ZzR-SimonsTown.mp3 edit: fixed link

http://oldskool.txfx.de/zzr-beta3-jp-theme.mp3

ya i know iam on my way to present an unfinished track here aswell ^^
nvm not a bad example tho o0

however, my personal advice, jeskola buzz. specially great for experimenting with stuff. besides making serious music.

regards

p.s. uhm track 1 no loop
track 2 drumloops. for the difference

bpm adjustments done by just entering some easy going pattern arguments. including tpb , too
Last edited by Zzr on 14/10/2005 - 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Zzr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzr »

sorry for prolly adding one more un-needed post but uhm....
was curious since i somehow got the feeling to shut that thread up or something.

wondering if i ended up annoying ya peep. in that case my apologies , wasnt supposed to do

regards
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Zzr wrote:sorry for prolly adding one more un-needed post but uhm....
was curious since i somehow got the feeling to shut that thread up or something.

wondering if i ended up annoying ya peep. in that case my apologies , wasnt supposed to do

regards
Hi Zzr.

No, I don't think you annoyed anyone! ;) I did mean to D/L your tunes and give you some feedback - seems a bit rude not to have done that already, sorry :oops:

I looked at Buzz a few years back and was a bit put off by it's complexity, and the fact it didn't sound as polished as Dreamstation. I ended up going with Dreamstation in the end (then to Fruity loops and now I have settled with Renoise)!!!

BTW, the link to your first tune is down - I'll let you know what I think of the second when I get a chance to listen to it on a decent system (I'm at work right now).

Tonka
Zzr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzr »

first off, thank for the kind response.

selfconfidence and me are at war sometimes :roll:

youre right when you say the buzz sound can end up somehow errm squiggly. gladly in the end its mostly a matter of mastering. took me some years to get that, and still got some problems sometimes with it.
i got an rl mate who works with that prog aswell, he ususally creates stuff mastered way better than mine. (we kinda have a dual race. i race to reach his better skill in mastering and he races to reach my better melody talents)
ya also youre right saying the tool isnt really a user-friendly one.
i checked out different other programs to find out theyre definately way faster to learn to "work fluently"with, however never was able to really switch to a different one, since i couldnt get that maximum of creative potential like you can have with buzz (one of my fav comments on that is like "hey you can do like anything with that synth")

nevermind me promoting that prog kinda aggressive. if i find sound-related stuff i like, i get the urge to share it with other ppl.

i'll add a thread to the "other releases" forum in a while where a whole boatload of stuff can be downloaded, both of him an me.

little sidenote is, if theres anyone seriously interesting in getting started with buzz, i offer myself to live-tutorial first steps or more. done that b4 a couple times successfully, also with english-speaking ppl ( not my 1st language as ya see on my info o0)

have to say thanks to some ppl btw.

first of, awesome-a

met him online few months ago already having alot of his stuff on my hd (meeting itself was one of that "damn this world is so freaky huge but can end up thaaat small when murphy decides so"-things)

he encouraged me to finally start adding my stuff to amigaremix.com
wouldnt have done that w/o him

also thanks for the comments i got, specially bout my stuff being that close to original. intended on one hand on the other kinda uncreative :wink:

the above jimpower beta-tune is one of the few non-linear ones. also wouldnt have started w/o that ppl.

nevermind me being always in charge to throw music at ppl. well, guess alot of you ppl know that need to release stuff and get feedback.

so long + regards