I can't whip my own back!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
honorabili
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by honorabili »

Romeo Knight wrote:
DHS wrote: but the truth is that you can do music, good music, only when you are happy
That's wrong.
DHS wrote:and have fun making it. Simple as that.
That's right.
:P
I agree. I've written some of the happiest stuff when I'm dreadfully depressed. Why? To cheer up! :P
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Mike Oldfield did Tubular Bells/Ommadawn/Hergiest Ridge when he was suffering with massive depression.. These works are largely credited as being his best...

These Days Mike is at harmony with himself and for years hasn't produced what he's capable of.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

tas wrote:Mike Oldfield did Tubular Bells/Ommadawn/Hergiest Ridge when he was suffering with massive depression.. These works are largely credited as being his best...

These Days Mike is at harmony with himself and for years hasn't produced what he's capable of.
Sting: I do my best work when I am in pain
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

tas wrote:Mike Oldfield did Tubular Bells/Ommadawn/Hergiest Ridge when he was suffering with massive depression.. These works are largely credited as being his best...

Did he have bipolar depression? If so, then he probably did his genius work during the "ups"...

Certainly Phil Collins did his best work when he was bitter. Some of his lyrics for his early albums are studies in venom :)

Chris
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Sometimes my best ideas come when I'm in MASSIVE anger and want to project my hate in something more productive than mere destruction.

Bad thing is: as easy I'm angered, I'm also depressed. That cripples everything creative again.

At the moment, my pills kill my creativity on a much lower level. I often just sit there and can't come up with anything useful.

------
"Deeply disaffected by the whole situation". Whatever.
Ferrara
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

my head and how to kick it without disattaching a foot

Post by Ferrara »

I'm in the same lines as most of you too, I've done my two latest remixes while depressed and
angry at my life, since I broke up after 5 years with my girlfriend.
And, that's right, it was almost 5 years ago since I last did any remixing so,
afterwards, even I have managed to see the relativity in those figures... :(

Furthermore I'd love to be able to kick myself in the head for not getting the stuff I want,
out of the soundcard, anymore. As the latest comments on the remixes have stated, nothing exciting,
and I feel the same too afterall. Should I get myself a new
life/woman and forget this whole remixing again or not... dunno.

At least one thing's for sure, I feel much happier while listening
to Boz's show again :)

-tony (ferrara)