www.thinkcommodore.com launched!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

www.thinkcommodore.com launched!

Post by soren_ladegaard »

New Commodore Website Launched!

"Think Commodore" is now online at http://www.thinkcommodore.com

What is Think Commodore? It's a website about emulating the old Commodore 64 and Amiga computers on your Macintosh. The site covers the different C64 and Amiga emulators available for the Mac. It also acts as a guide on how to play your favorite music from the C64 or Amiga. Information on which players to use and links to Commodore music related websites. You'll also find links to downloading those old games and demos.

I switched from the PC to the Mac about one and a half year ago. While there are tons of websites covering the C64/Amiga, emulation, games, music etc. on the Windows PC decent Mac related websites are very hard to find. You end up with dead links or out-dated websites at best. That's the reason why I started "Think Commodore".

Think Commodore is not supposed to be a comprehensive guide to emulation with in-depth tutorials. It's more like a well thought out links collection with a nice design and a little extra "goodie-info" here and there.

As of March 27 the first version of Think Commodore is online. Updates, revisions, new info etc. will be added on a regular basis.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Søren Ladegaard - Denmark
Webmaster

PS: "Think Commodore" is an homage to the classic Apple slogan "Think Different". But you already knew that didn't you ;-)
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: www.thinkcommodore.com launched!

Post by Slaygon »

soren_ladegaard wrote:New Commodore Website Launched!

"Think Commodore" is now online at http://www.thinkcommodore.com
I get the following from the site:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

DOH! ;)
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Slaygon wrote:I get the following from the site:

Forbidden

DOH! ;)
That's odd. It works fine for me. I've checked the site on several machines prior to launching the site. Can't figure out why it doesn't work for you. :(
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Site looks nice, but there's a few things, both big and small
- The C64 page shows the HTML ( opera 8.52, IE does seem to work )
- The S in SCUMM stands for "Script", not "Story", AFAIK
- The line about "Beneath a steel sky" on the Scumm page should read..."have been released"
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Nice site so far. :)
All is lost.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Looks very good!
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

FFRenzy wrote:Site looks nice, but there's a few things, both big and small
- The C64 page shows the HTML ( opera 8.52, IE does seem to work )
- The S in SCUMM stands for "Script", not "Story", AFAIK
- The line about "Beneath a steel sky" on the Scumm page should read..."have been released"
Thanks for the info. I've corrected the spellling errors.

As far as Opera goes, the "Amiga" page doesn't render properly in Opera on the Mac.

And it seems the site doesn't work at all in Firefox 1.5 on the PC.

I've tested the site on the Mac and it works perfectly in Safari, Firefox and Camino.
kufi
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by kufi »

Had a quick look at the Amiga-page with Opera 8 on the PC and it looks ok so far. About the text:
Commodore did the right thing and let the Amiga engineers continue their development without Commodore interfering.
No they surely didnt. Commodore interfered so much that the original development team quit after the Amiga 1000.

And is it possible that you got that pic from my site ;)

EDIT: found two small typos on the c64 page:

... was introduced by Commodore International back in 1982 ...
... was so successfull that ...
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

kufi wrote:Had a quick look at the Amiga-page with Opera 8 on the PC and it looks ok so far. About the text:
Commodore did the right thing and let the Amiga engineers continue their development without Commodore interfering.
No they surely didnt. Commodore interfered so much that the original development team quit after the Amiga 1000.

And is it possible that you got that pic from my site ;)

EDIT: found two small typos on the c64 page:

... was introduced by Commodore International back in 1982 ...
... was so successfull that ...
Thanks. I'll correct the typos.

About Commodore interfering: If I remember correctly Commodore started interfering AFTER the Amiga was released which caused the Amiga team to leave. But I think the Amiga team said the Amiga1000 was almost what they intented in to be. I think I read that somewhere in the "on the edge" book :-) I'll look into changing the text
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Nice a clean looking site :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
kufi
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by kufi »

soren_ladegaard wrote:About Commodore interfering: If I remember correctly Commodore started interfering AFTER the Amiga was released which caused the Amiga team to leave. But I think the Amiga team said the Amiga1000 was almost what they intented in to be. I think I read that somewhere in the "on the edge" book :-) I'll look into changing the text
For example, while the development team was still thinking about implementing an own DOS for the Amiga, Commodore went out and purchased a DOS from metacomco and forced the dev-team to use it.

Since this DOS and the previously created underlying operating system were drastically different (even created in different languages, BCPL and C, with different pointer types) there arose many problems that could not be resolved in time. So the Amiga 1000 had to be fitted not with a ROM but with a WOM and the ability to load kickstart from disk. Still the operating system was terribly unstable for years, restricting the usefulness of the amiga as a "serious" computer. So Commodore more or less shot themselves in the foot...

By the way, do you want/need a better pic for the Commodore 64 page?

EDIT: The Frodo-page shows me its source using Opera 8. It works using IE. Same for the MaxUAE-Page.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Slaygon wrote: I get the following from the site:
Forbidden
I don't get that at home, although I do at work. It's probably a server configuration issue with either the work firewall or the way that the site operates.

Either way, it looks a complete mess on Firefox 1.5.0.1 (UK English) as has already been noted. Might be worth someone here (such as Slaygon if he has time) checking the code for any possible foibles.

Shame that, cos viewing it on (spit! hiss! ^%$$) IE worked and the site actually seems to do the job pretty well. Iron out those hassles Søren and you could be on a winner here.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Waz wrote:
Slaygon wrote: I get the following from the site:
Forbidden
I don't get that at home, although I do at work. It's probably a server configuration issue with either the work firewall or the way that the site operates.
I think it's a server problem too. I get the "don't have permission" error too from time to time too. If you just keep hitting the "reload" button in the tool bar the site will load eventually. The same happens when you get the sourcecode rather than the rendered page. If you just keep reloading the site will show eventually. Don't know why. I'll get in touch with the hosting company ASAP.
kufi
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by kufi »

soren_ladegaard wrote:I think it's a server problem too.
I just tried the site with firefox on linux, and all pages show me their sources (after i got around the "forbidden" by typing the pagename manually). Could be the reason why everything is messed up in firefox on Windows as well.
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

kufi wrote:
soren_ladegaard wrote:I think it's a server problem too.
I just tried the site with firefox on linux, and all pages show me their sources (after i got around the "forbidden" by typing the pagename manually). Could be the reason why everything is messed up in firefox on Windows as well.
I've found out that when you get the "forbidden" message or you get the source code rather than the rendered page just hit the "reload" button. Sometimes you have to hit it 50 times :-) Eventually the page will render correctly. I have no idea why this happens.