Charity Night - The Concert - Saturday May 6th 2006

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

OK then, a quick glimpse into the festivities:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merman/
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Armand
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Armand »

Excellent photos, Merman. Loved the one of us squashed together on the seats, and the one of Amy - party on girrl! :twisted:

Loved the Sid80's set, Ben, Mark and the gang both played well as ever - and I think I would have heard it a lot better if the creche and Manc contingent had not been making such a racket at the side of us that night! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Deflektor and Paper boy were my faves, but Rasputin holds a special place in my heart.

I only saw the Mars Attacks barmaid (Babs) before we left - and she was still dressed as young as ever! :wink:

It was a cool night, plus there was a buffet on, which amazed both me and Matrix as we'd already eaten, but strangely enough we got a bit peckish later! :D Gobble, gobble!
Matthew Cannon
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Matthew Cannon »

Thanks Mark, Benn, Jon, Jeremy - sound guys, and lots of fun to play with. My shoulders were going as I tried not to LOL playing the backing for Benn's Tolkien-esque Spellbound intro.

If only I was awake enough :roll: to play-off you more on Pimple etc. - perhaps next time :wink:

And a big salute to the entrenched SID troopers down by the Creche - hearing your noise was absolutely essential.

Well done Paul for putting on a good night for a worthy cause.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

SID Troopers :lol: *gets ideas*

/coat :lol:
StarshipUK
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by StarshipUK »

merman wrote: Starship - thought I recognised you from my flight over to Copenhagen, which incidentally was the same price as my return rail ticket to Manchester from Cambridge :shock:
Do you mean this flight on Easyjet from Stansted?

Saturday 05 November
London Stansted To Copenhagen; flight 3563 dep. Sat 05 Nov 13:20; arr. Sat 05 Nov 16:10
Check in opens Sat 05 Nov 11:20; Closes Sat 05 Nov 12:50

Sunday 06 November
Copenhagen To London Stansted; flight 3562 dep. Sun 06 Nov 10:25; arr. Sun 06 Nov 11:20
Check in opens Sun 06 Nov 08:25; Closes Sun 06 Nov 09:55

The two flights cost me £47.90p and I have to pay for 1 days parking in the long term car park (which was the cheapest for one day!)

I have fond memories of Copenhagen. I flew out there and then took the train from the airport to the city center, where I decided to walk around the town on a cold, wet night looking for something to eat discovering that nearly everything was a sausage or contained some form of meat. After wandering around, I got the subway train to the venue, where I decided to look near the venue for food. I found a McDonalds, which was the most expensive McDonalds meal I have ever had in my life! It was just a Cheese Salad, Medium Fries and Medium Sprite and cost me around the equivalent of £8 in UK Money! Then I attended one of the best and longest concerts I have ever been to. I stood nearly the whole concert in the same place, as I was recording and was not with anyone to keep an eye on the recording equipment to go to the bar or toilets or anything for the whole gig... whats worse is the recording never came out as it was too loud and had major bass/drum distortion. It was still a really good gig though and I am going to this years one if it happens. Then afterwards I met up with a nice bloke who had also come over from England to see the band. There was the free invite to the nightclub upstairs which had some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life! There was also the great (but expensive) Star Trek related beer - Something to do with Borgs? I stayed there till it closed and then got the Bus back to the central train station and then back to the airport where I fell a sleep for a few hours at a cafe in the airport before getting on the first flight back to England. I spent nearly all day Sunday in bed.

It was the first and only time I have visted a country so far away for less than 24 hours and not taken checked in luggage and not stayed in a hotel... and it was fun!

Thanks,
Steve.
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

You know, I didn't recognise you again Steve.... sorry mate....
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

Probably the wrong thread for this, but seeing madfidlers sig just reminded me ...

Is anything actually happening RE: Sidstock? i've not heard a peep since last year at Failsworth.

Ste.
StarshipUK
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by StarshipUK »

madfiddler wrote:
Can you play Ben's "Dark Fusion" Please?
???
m
I have uploaded a MP3 RIP of the SID... Ben wrote it so he should hopefully know it. It is only about 1 min 50 secs and then loops.

The Concert and the SID Rip can be downloaded from here:
http://www.ride-the-music.com/sid80s/

Thanks,
Steve.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

StarshipUK wrote:
merman wrote: Starship - thought I recognised you from my flight over to Copenhagen, which incidentally was the same price as my return rail ticket to Manchester from Cambridge :shock:
Do you mean this flight on Easyjet from Stansted?

Saturday 05 November
London Stansted To Copenhagen; flight 3563 dep. Sat 05 Nov 13:20; arr. Sat 05 Nov 16:10
Check in opens Sat 05 Nov 11:20; Closes Sat 05 Nov 12:50

SNIP

It was the first and only time I have visted a country so far away for less than 24 hours and not taken checked in luggage and not stayed in a hotel... and it was fun!
Yeah I was on 3563 on the way over, decided to get a later flight (3564) on the Sunday... gave me time to go and visit the Little Mermaid, which was less than 10mins walk from my hotel.

Speaking of the hotel, it was right next to the railway line. So not much sleep beyond 6am that morning.

Anyway, my return flight cost me £55. My period return rail ticket to Manchester this weekend was £55.90, and that was from Ely. If I'd gone from Cambridge it would have been another fiver! For Copenhagen and Manchester I used the same shoulder bag and travelled light.

I have a short video of Paperboy from Charity Night, will try to upload it somewhere to share along with the rest of the pictures (most of which are pretty dark)
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

Thanks for putting these online Steve, great to hear SID 80s doing their thang. Took me a while to get used to the lack of drums tho'!

Who was the person who went "waaaeeeyyy!" everytime Benn spoke?! :D

[Benn talks a bit]

"wwaaaeeeeyyyyy!"

[Benn mentions computer games]

"wwaaaeeeeyyyyy!"

[Benn says something else]

"wwaaaeeeeyyyyy!"

Hehehe! C'mon, own up. ;)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Kenz wrote:Thanks for putting these online Steve, great to hear SID 80s doing their thang. Took me a while to get used to the lack of drums tho'!

Who was the person who went "waaaeeeyyy!" everytime Benn spoke?! :D

[Benn talks a bit]

"wwaaaeeeeyyyyy!"

[Benn mentions computer games]

"wwaaaeeeeyyyyy!"

[Benn says something else]

"wwaaaeeeeyyyyy!"

Hehehe! C'mon, own up. ;)
Err. That would be me. After a few pints of cider. Oops.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Matthew Cannon wrote:Thanks Mark, Benn, Jon, Jeremy - sound guys, and lots of fun to play with. My shoulders were going as I tried not to LOL playing the backing for Benn's Tolkien-esque Spellbound intro.

If only I was awake enough :roll: to play-off you more on Pimple etc. - perhaps next time :wink:

And a big salute to the entrenched SID troopers down by the Creche - hearing your noise was absolutely essential.

Well done Paul for putting on a good night for a worthy cause.
It takes a big man to fill Marcel Donne's shorts - WAHEY!
Glad you enjoyed yourself as much as we did ;)
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

Heh! It's nice to hear you having a good time mate. The background chatter kind of adds to the atmosphere. :)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
dj_pete

Post by dj_pete »

Yes it is me (here for the first time) ---the resident deejay from the avenue and also the sound and lighting technician!!!!
I must say it has been a busy couple of weeks for myself and Paul setting up the new lighting and sound rig but it was well worth the effort seeing the performance on saturday.
With reference to the B.I.T. gig last year I ended up at the side of the stage due to lack of seating space and the extended stage but at the end of that gig I decided that no matter what I was putting sound desk foh this time!! :oops: What a job we had running multicores through ceiling but they're in now including D.M.X. cables for moving lights which arrived today (should have arrived last week--never mind)

Now the performance I have NEVER used a C64 so I don't know any of the music but after hearing last years gig I was really looking forward to working with the guys. :D Well what a great bunch of guys, it is a pleasure to work with you -- and your performance BRILLIANT!!!
You don't have to be a 64 fan to enjoy proper live music.

Paul set a date for the next one!!!!

OK with reference to girl singing Mariah Carey's Hero I don't know if she was singing out of tune because I was cueing up next track which incidently was X FACTOR winner Wardy with Thats My Goal . Could it be the fact that I was sending her AGADOO in her monitor :bash:

Anyway top marks to Paul for organising a fantastic event and raising money for a good cause.

PETE (lots of buttons to mess with) sound guy and cheesy dj
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Quick set list from SID'80s:

1. Way of the Exploding Fist/IK+
2. Paperboy featuring Arcade Classics
3. Deflektor
4. Spellbound
5. Pimplesqueezer
6. Rasputin