Can't download with Firefox

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
MiniMe

Can't download with Firefox

Post by MiniMe »

When I want to save the tracks by left clicking on them in Firefox, the MP3 loads up in the browser using the Quicktime plugin. When I try to save them using right click, it wants to save them as "getfile.php".

Could you please fix this?
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Can't download with Firefox

Post by FFRenzy »

MiniMe wrote:When I want to save the tracks by left clicking on them in Firefox, the MP3 loads up in the browser using the Quicktime plugin. When I try to save them using right click, it wants to save them as "getfile.php".

Could you please fix this?
I don't think anyone but you yourself can do anything about that. Just remove the association of MP3 -> Quicktime.

Or use a downloadmanager that'll accept the .php file, and will redirect. I use http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ , which is free and quite good ( especially for its price )
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Have had the same problem. I deleted ALL associations with Quicktime, but that still doesn't fit. I had to uninstall Quicktime to be able to download the files (which uninstalls iTunes too, that suxx)...
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

One possibility is to wait until the Quicktime plugin starts to play the song, and then use "File -> Save page as..." from that window. It will then save the song with its proper name.
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Nice!

Thanks Markus, that works! :D
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
MiniMe

Post by MiniMe »

FFrenzy: What a stupid suggestion. I like to listen MP3s using the Quicktime plugin if I want to and have no problem saving MP3s on other sites that get the MIME-type on their server right.

LMan / Remix64: Thanks for this intelligent suggestion.
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

MiniMe wrote:FFrenzy: What a stupid suggestion.
* gulps in some not too nice comments, and continues to listen to X-Formz' "Trolls" *
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

MiniMe wrote:FFrenzy: What a stupid suggestion. I like to listen MP3s using the Quicktime plugin if I want to and have no problem saving MP3s on other sites that get the MIME-type on their server right.
You're coming across as rude and pushy. Can you please restrain yourself from directing scorn at people who are only trying to help? Even your initial post came over as bad tempered and bossy. Do you even know it's a Mime-type problem? If so, have you got any sensible suggestions as to what could be changed at the server-end based on your knowledge? Or are you just assuming things in order to make throwaway negative comments about the site?

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

MiniMe wrote:[...] have no problem saving MP3s on other sites that get the MIME-type on their server right. [...]
Doesn't count for redirected links here as getfile.php doesn't point to the MIME-type for MP3s.

Servers "that get the MIME-type right" have links directly pointing to the corresponding MP3.

You may check this by hovering your mouse over such a link and checking the status-line in your browser where the actual link *should* appear.
All is lost.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

getfile.php used mime-type with header informations to save it i think. this does'nt work on all browsers...

my exsample:

Code: Select all

<?php
if($file == "1") {
$send_me = "mysoundfile.mp3";

$basedir = $DOCUMENT_ROOT."/sounds/";
$filename = $basedir.$send_me;

header("Content-Type: application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"".$send_me."\"");
readfile($filename);
}
else {
header("Location: http://www.mylocationtojumpwhen1is'ntset.com");
}
?>
i don't know if it works on firefox =)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

On Remix64, I have a table containing gazillion file extensions and their proper mime type. So I can lookup and send the proper headers for each requested file.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

I have seen often those problems... Some Browsers don't read out header informations or you can set it = off...

To fix this problem:

Create automatic zip File with the MP3 inside and if you want some Informations the user give in by upload a Remix. zip files will not streamed by Quicktime... :D

Regards,
Daxx
Firefox
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Firefox »

Offcourse you can't download with me :wink: . I'm not a downloading tool. I'm a producer/songwriter for god sake... Not a musician because I can not play any instrument very well :lol: ....

I guess this does not help in anyway. Sorry!!!

/Cheers!
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

lol i wondered when you'd pop up fire ^^

so whens a new remix heading our way? eh? eh!